Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: How To: Steam Counter-Strike Source Edgy WINE

Beans
    Distro
    Edubuntu 6.10 Edgy

How To: Steam Counter-Strike Source Edgy WINE

I followed a howto guide over at linux-gamers.net (I think) but I found that it was rather incomplete and at times gave me wrong commands but I ended up able to get Steam installed and run Counter-Strike Source through WINE on my Ubuntu Edgy box. My specs are: 1.7ghz 512 MB ram and a Radeon 9600 64mb graphics card(using fglrx)-- all wrapped into a sexy little IBM T42. Below is the quick run through of how I did it, the full version is on my blog: http://t42buntu.blogspot.com

1. Download WINE

sudo apt-get install wine

2. Run WINE setup--

wine setup

3. Download Tahoma font and put it in your wine fonts folder:

cp Tahoma.ttf /home/USERNAME/.wine/drive_c/windows/fonts

4. Download Steam the go to the directory and install it

wine SteamInstaller.exe

(Note I just took a break to test out my CSS on Linux, and after a few trial and errors i figured it out and got onto a server and played it! So, IT WORKS!) 5.During the steam install just use all the same options/answers you would use in a windows environment-- at some point it will prompt you that it needs to install a Mozilla Gecko plugin? just say yes and it will do it's own thing.
    6. When the installer finishes open up a terminal and do the following to launch steam:

cd /home/USER/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Steam
    WINEDEBUG="fixme-all" wine steam.exe

This will launch steam while hiding any outputs from wine, thus running your game faster.
    7. When steam launched I couldnt type my name in the login/password boxes without first right clicking in the login field then left clicking. After this I could login as normal.
    8. Now that you're ready to launch your game you will want to make sure that all other windows besides the steam "My Games" window are minimized or closed.
    9. Double click "Counter Strike Source" and as soon as it says "preparing" click the x button on the steam window with "My Games List" or it will interfere with the game.
    10. The game should be running fairly close to normal now, you ay be warned that you're video is wierd and that it's using software mode, but even on my 1.7 Ghz 512mb ram 64mb Radeon 9600 the game was more than playable.

I will be fidiling around with all the settings later so check the blog for updates on it.

I hope this helps someone.
    -Snype

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 5.10

Re: How To: Steam Counter-Strike Source Edgy WINE

Im new to Linux and i dont know too much i just needed an operating system and my friend recomended Ubuntu. Anywho ive installed Wine but I can't run the wine setup.when i put it in the terminal "wine setup" it does nothing. Please help because i miss playing CS.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

If you simply run "wine steaminstaller.exe" it will set up a wine environment automatically and run the installer. The command "winecfg" beforehand will open a configuration gui if you want to edit some things. Setting up drive paths for cdroms is one important task (though not needed for steam) you may want to do.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 5.10

I think I have the whole Wine thing down. I think. I need to install tahoma, I've downloaded it but when i try and put it in the file shown "home/John/.wine/..." in my "john" file theres no ".wine" file to send the tahoma font to. and when I search the comp for the file in general to see if its located elsewhere it cant find it. It's like certain files have yet to be created.
    Last edited by dogwi11hunt; November 25th, 2006 at 01:24 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by dogwi11hunt View Post
    Im new to Linux and i dont know too much i just needed an operating system and my friend recomended Ubuntu. Anywho ive installed Wine but I can't run the wine setup.when i put it in the terminal "wine setup" it does nothing. Please help because i miss playing CS.
    have you done a

Code:
    $ winecfg
    ??

If so just browser to your steam folder and dubbel klick on the steaminstaller.exe and it should start by it self

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by dogwi11hunt View Post
    I think I have the whole Wine thing down. I think. I need to install tahoma, I've downloaded it but when i try and put it in the file shown "home/John/.wine/..." in my "john" file theres no ".wine" file to send the tahoma font to. and when I search the comp for the file in general to see if its located elsewhere it cant find it.
    That means you haven't done a winecfg at the terminal window just do that and you get a .wine dir =)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 5.10

Well i have ran the wine configuration in the terminal. and the window popped up and i clicked on the audio tab and this came up in the terminal after the window auto matically closed "Creating link /home/john/.kde/socket-john-desktop.
    can't create mcop directory" id imagine thats not good? it didn't say anything about .wine and its not that i cant run steam because ive gotten it to start but you cant see anything, which id imagine is from not having tahoma font which i thought i had. So then i tried to put on the font again and it didn't detect the "/.wine/..." directory and i remember reading you need to run wine for it to make that directory. So if im correct i need to find out how to run wine, to create that directory, just so i can put on tahoma.
    Last edited by dogwi11hunt; November 25th, 2006 at 02:10 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 5.10

after messing with the wine configuration a bit in the "drives" tab i saw the .wine file and i guess its a hidden file on the computer so ive read and since its "hidden" the terminal cant find it to put in the tahoma font i think i dont know

Beans

so steam does update... it just take a bit...

main feature which is missing now, is how to make shure CSS run in open-gl mode

in glxgears, i am getting
    3700 fps(windowed), 530 fps (maximized)
    In the game:
    40 fps average in cs:source speed test

does anyone know how to do that?
    Last edited by maax; December 7th, 2006 at 03:07 AM. Reason: solved it. new problem arised

CounterStrike source to the best of my knowledge doesn't and cannot run in open-gl. Its purely directX based. So some of the advanced textures like thwater effects will always look a little dodgy.

But hey if anybody knows different feel free to better inform me and the OP
    Do you like my signature?

Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast