Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122

Thread: How to: Xubuntu - Thunar Native Windows Network Browsing

Beans

Re: How to: Xubuntu - Thunar Native Windows Network Browsing

Quote Originally Posted by foxy123 View Post
    I have recently updated to Jaunty and now use Gigolo to connect to network shares. It does not let you display available shares but using bookmarks makes life much easier.
    Having just gone through the whole setup of gigolo, I had a couple comments:

Browsing the network
    Gigolo does allow you to browse the network. When I set it up, the network pane wasn't showing by default. Once I enabled it (view, side panel, then choose 'network' instead of 'bookmark') it was a better day.

Mods to make Gigolo work
    Also, I went through the setup to add my user account, and setup gigolo to use thunar properly and it worked fine for me (instructions noted earlier in thread). The first time I tried it it worked. After a reboot or two, it stopped working. Later it was working. So ... I don't know. In the end I did create the shortcut.

I did not set Giolo to "Use Unix based volume manager", and it works fine. I did copy this script, which is supposed to be for when Giolo accesses local file/folders, but I don't think I'll use Giolo for them (http://wiki.xfce.org/gnomemount-replacement)

Accessing shares issue
    One of the important issues I had when accessing network shares was access - when accessing a NTFS folder on a linux box I had setup and shared via a samba share, even though I set that folder to be accessed with "guest" it didn't work. I needed to login with proper user credentials (put in the user name in Gigolo).

Thunar problem
    Also - the mouse stopped working in Thunar. For the longest time I thought it had to due with the Gigolo setup, but it's not. There's a but in GTK apparently which causes Thunar to stop accepting mouse clicks in the main pane when: the view is 'detailed', and you double click an item. Just switch to a different view (icon or list). (http://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6230).

Future for Xubuntu/XFCE and Gigolo
    Finally, I see Gigolo is being included in the 'goodies' package for xfce. I don't know if Xubuntu will take advantage of that, but it's there now for those that want it. (http://goodies.xfce.org/projects/app...s/start#gigolo)
    Last edited by bluezeak; May 2nd, 2010 at 02:30 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by bluezeak View Post
    Future for Xubuntu/XFCE and Gigolo
    Finally, I see Gigolo is being included in the 'goodies' package for xfce. I don't know if Xubuntu will take advantage of that, but it's there now for those that want it. (http://goodies.xfce.org/projects/app...s/start#gigolo)
    Xubuntu 10.04 includes Gigolo as a default (I think). I recently installed, and don't recall having to manually add anything.

Haven't given it a proper test drive yet though...

I stand corrected - gvfs-fuse isn't installed, so I have still had to follow my previous instructions
    Last edited by ugm6hr; May 2nd, 2010 at 04:31 PM.

Beans

can someone please help me get this working in xubuntu 10.10? i've followed all the instructions on the first post, tried adding the -s switch to fusesmb, tried using gigolo...nothing has gotten me the ability to browse my windows home network.

i really want to stick with xubuntu, because it runs really well on this old inspiron 8100 laptop i'm posting from...but i need network browsing ability and i'm getting so frustrated with this at this point that i'm just about ready to smash the thing.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

i am really hoping you can help this newbie out. using xubuntu xfce 4 now that i've switched from mint from frustration in connecting to my windows network shares. never had to learn anything from the full version of ubuntu since it was all ultra handy.

i would like to transfer/stream files from the windows network and integrating into thunar seems to be my next step. however i don't have XFCE's Applications -> System -> Shared Folders as indicated in the original post, so i'm stuck before i get started.

i think i have managed to get samba working properly as i can put files onto the pc from a win7 and winxp machine from my network. folder seems to be fully functional.

after that is where i run into trouble. xsmbrowser will see the computers in my network (and show the network/pc name properly) and list them, but will fail to find them when accessed. pyneighborhood will see the network but fail to scan it; it allowed me to add the machines manually and will list all of the shares, but i cannot get it to mount via smb or cifs. i started gigolo, but got stopped on a step that wasn't matching early on.

i don't think i'm missing any of the minor associated proggies, but when i search for the ones listed in the posts they don't appear, but similar ones do and they are installed. no issues sharing on the windows side and firewalls are off. don't see much mention of things to check on the windows side, i don't think netbios has to be installed on the win machines, but cannot find verification of that.

please help me find my missing step!! tyvm in advance.

also have tomato firmware on my router.
    Last edited by grantpet; March 8th, 2011 at 11:25 PM. Reason: additional info

Beans

Thumbs down Re: How to: Xubuntu - Thunar Native Windows Network Browsing

Thread started in 2007. Me answering in 2011--I'm always so freaking late!!!

I found this site last night after working 2 days to get samba working on lubuntu 11.04 (using xfce/thunar not lxde/pcmanfm).

I installed samba pckgs via synaptic
    I installed fusesmb via synaptic

nothing worked after reboot..sigh...why is Samba so buggy after 20 years of constant development (please don't say Microsoft--if is NOT Microsoft that created Samba)? Just saying...

Anyhow, I went to this website: http://ubuntu.swerdna.org/ubusambabrowse.html

to get Samba working initially, then I went to this page (same website):

http://ubuntu.swerdna.org/ubusambaserver.html#rwauth

and followed all the steps for: setting up security on those shares

Root can alter any Samba share/anytime/anyway
    Users can alter their own files within the share
    Users can read everything else

Everything works fine after 20 minutes of reading and 15 minutes of configuring/rebooting EXCEPT for a mounted ntfs drive which I can find in thunar=>network but cannot gain access to.

If anyone knows how to mount an ntfs share(from a dual boot config.) AND have that share available via samba to network users..well, boy that kinda info would definately deserve a couple of free beers...

Cheers!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Shares are an online thing, so if you've shared your NTFS drive in Windows, Lubuntu is not gonna know it. You'll just have to mount the entire partition as a filesystem, not as a share. You can share the filesystem like a share.

sudo mkdir /mnt/ntfsthingie
    sudo mount /dev/sd## /mnt/ntfsthingie
    <- I assume you know how it works
    sudo nano /var/lib/samba/usershares/ntfsthingie <- code follows:

Code:
    #VERSION 2
    path=/mnt/ntfsthingie
    comment=
    usershare_acl=S-1-1-0:R
    guest_ok=y
    Not sure this is Lubuntucompatible, but it is samba.

I myself have given up on using samba. I mount everything with ssh.

/usr/local/bin/sshfs.sh
    Code:
    #!/usr/bin/env bash
    #sshfs mounter by Redsandro
    #2010-07-17 #www.Redsandro.com
    #Last edit" 2010-07-19
    # Now you can have a desktop shortcut:
    # gnome-terminal -x /usr/local/bin/sshfs.sh redsandro 192.168.1.10 / sshfs-redserv
    # gnome-terminal -x /usr/local/bin/sshfs.sh redsandro RedServ /cygdrive sshfs-redsandro

#SELFNOTE: test works but if it fails it outputs error:
    # ./sshfs.sh: line 12: [: too many arguments
    #Why?

if [ ${1:+1} = 1 -a ${2:+1} = 1 -a ${3:+1} = 1 -a ${4:+1} = 1 ]; then
    	USER=$1
    	HOST=$2
    	DEST=$3
    	DIR=~/$4

if [ ! -d $DIR ]; then
    		mkdir $DIR
    	fi

echo "Mounting" "$USER"@"$HOST":"$DEST"
    	echo "Mountpoint:" "$DIR"
    	echo

sshfs "$USER"@"$HOST":"$DEST" "$DIR"
    	nautilus "$DIR"
    	#sleep 10 # Give fusermount time to mount the share. Yes it can take some time for some computers with encrypted home dirs.

echo
    	echo "sshfs will unmount when terminal closes."
    	echo "Press ENTER to close."
    	read
    	fusermount -u "$DIR"
    else
    	echo "Wrong parameters."
    	echo "Usage:"
    	echo "sshfs.sh user host host_dir mount_dir"
    	echo "(sshfs user@host:host_dir ~/mount_dir)"
    	echo "(NO TRAILING SLASH on mount_dir!)"
    fi
    Usage:
    sshfs.sh redsandro RedServ / redserv.fs

That is:
    sshfs.sh [username] [servername or ip address] [remote mountpoint] [local mountpoint in home dir]
    📻 Amp.lol. No bloat, just radio. 🤘

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Tazix View Post
    In XFCE's Applications -> System -> Shared Folders. (This should trigger ...
    In Xubuntu 11.10 there does not appear to be an "Applications" menu,
    nor is there a "Shared Folders" entry in the System menu. Anybody know where this is in 11.10?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I haven't tried looking, the easiest way is to manually install samba. This way you can just copy configuration between updates.

sudo apt-get install samba

sudo mousepad /etc/samba/smb.conf (or your preferred editor)

add your shares below.
    📻 Amp.lol. No bloat, just radio. 🤘

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122