Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: How to: Xubuntu - Thunar Native Windows Network Browsing

Beans

Re: How to: Xubuntu - Thunar Native Windows Network Browsing

It's an even Debian Lenny problem inherited by ubuntu in multiverse/uniberse.

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=497572

Try:
    Untill fusesmb newest version is fixed:
    In the manual don't use fusesmb. install smbnetfs package instead.
    All the other directives are fine.

update:
    workes longer, fails with same symptoms eventually.
    Last edited by benma; November 4th, 2008 at 11:50 PM.

Beans

I have downgraded libsmbclient to a Hardy version and it works now. I do not know for how long though.
    ASUS Zenbook 14 Ubuntu 22.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by foxy123 View Post
    I have downgraded libsmbclient to a Hardy version and it works now. I do not know for how long though.
    How were you able to do that downgrade?

The Hardy-update repository is no longer available on canonical.com or doesn't seem to "take."

I used the mirror site

deb http://mirrors.kernel.org/ubuntu hardy-updates

Cheers,

JRW
    Last edited by jwilentz; May 22nd, 2009 at 03:51 AM. Reason: Hardy-update no longer available on Canonical.com

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jwilentz View Post
    How were you able to do that downgrade?
    Just add Hardy repository in your sources.list and then choose Force package. Please note that it will uninstall gvfs-backends package.
    ASUS Zenbook 14 Ubuntu 22.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by foxy123 View Post
    Just add Hardy repository in your sources.list and then choose Force package. Please note that it will uninstall gvfs-backends package.
    OK, Many Thanks to foxy123!!

This is a bug in the samba library for 8.10, and I have solved it as suggested by regressing to libsmbclient from 8.04 Hardy. This is done by adding the Hardy repository to one's software sites in System > Software sources, then under Third Party Software add or enable the Canonical.com/ubuntu hardy partner. Once that's done go to the Synaptic Package Manager and look for libsmbclient. You will find (if you have 8.10) that the version is 2:3.2.3-1. Click on the install box and then go up to Package (on the menu bar) and select force version and get version 3.0.28a-1ubuntu4.4. Hit Apply (it will uninstall an unneeded file (I think) called gvfs-backends) and then you'll have a working version. To make sure Update Manager doesn't keep trying to change you back to 8.10, go back in Synaptic Package Manager select the libsmbclient again, go to Package on the menu bar and select "Lock Version." Now you're done and fusesmb and samba should work as desired to allow Thunar or other browsing of allowed Windows network shares.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Tazix View Post
    Well... on a fresh installation on another machine... I ran into the same issue as Miguellint did.

Not exactly sure what is causing it.... but after several attempts of recreating directories in /media, manually running fusesmb /media/network in the terminal... what seemed to fix it was removing from autostarted applications... then a sudo fusesmb /media/network, then a reboot, then a discovery that the fuse permission needed to be redone (step 5) because it was no longer checked off, another reboot after fixing that, and then another manual fusesmb /media/network (no sudo this time). Once working the command can be added back to autostarted applications (step 7).

I also found after that after I got it working.... /media/ was root owner and 777, but /network/ was myself as owner and 755. I'm pretty sure fusesmb sets that on the fly, because when I tried the sudo fusesmb command... I couldn't get in the directory as myself... had to look at it "as root". Maybe adding a chown step 6.5 would be in order to help get the thing working. Example: Step 6.5 chown yourusername:yourusername /media/network

Anyway... the whole point is.... double check that step 5 took... you may have to fiddle around manually a few times, with a few reboots to get it to show step 5 didn't take. It must be some sort of PAM glitch or something. But it is repairable.

Hope that helps,

Taz
    Hi,
    I have same problem with my pc/os workstation 2009 (pc-os.org). After running fusesmb, the permission file of /media/networks change from 777 into 755. And I can not sudo chmod 777 again when fusesmb running.
    The windows share is open and show the share folder, but I can not view the content of the share folder.
    Need Help...

Beans

Click on the install box and then go up to Package (on the menu bar) and select force version and get version 3.0.28a-1ubuntu4.4.
    I added the Hardy repositories, but when I try to force the older version (menu package, force version) I see only intrepid versions in the pop up menu.

What I'm doing wrong?

Today a new version of libsmbclient was avilable (2:3.2.3-1ubuntu3.3) but this problem has not been addressed.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I also don't see anything in mounted folder. pyNeighborhood browser see windows computers but cannot mount the shared folders and xsmbrowser works fine (so I know it's a fusesmb issue). I'm using Xubuntu 8.10. :confused

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

This is a bug in the samba library for 8.10, and I have solved it as suggested by regressing to libsmbclient from 8.04 Hardy. This is done by adding the Hardy repository to one's software sites in System > Software sources, then under Third Party Software add or enable the Canonical.com/ubuntu hardy partner. Once that's done go to the Synaptic Package Manager and look for libsmbclient. You will find (if you have 8.10) that the version is 2:3.2.3-1. Click on the install box and then go up to Package (on the menu bar) and select force version and get version 3.0.28a-1ubuntu4.4. Hit Apply (it will uninstall an unneeded file (I think) called gvfs-backends) and then you'll have a working version. To make sure Update Manager doesn't keep trying to change you back to 8.10, go back in Synaptic Package Manager select the libsmbclient again, go to Package on the menu bar and select "Lock Version." Now you're done and fusesmb and samba should work as desired to allow Thunar or other browsing of allowed Windows network shares.
    I got the "Transport endpoint is not connected" error after a few seconds of browsing the Windows shares from a MythBuntu system.
    I tried the downgrade using the suggestions above.
    I enabled "deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu hardy partner" and followed the instructions but there is no option for installing version 3.0.28a-1ubuntu4.4.
    The only option presented in the drop down list is for the currently installed version.
    Either something has changed or something is missing in the steps outlined above.

Can anyone provide us with some more pointers?

As comment, a MythBuntu needs to have built-in native support for browsing network shares to be useful. It really should not be this hard.

Ta
    deepee

Beans

You need also to make sure that this repo is in SOURCES.LIST:
    deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu hardy-security main

that's the reason why I could not downgrade.

Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast