Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: How to: Xubuntu - Thunar Native Windows Network Browsing

Beans

Re: How to: Xubuntu - Thunar Native Windows Network Browsing

The problem I have with Gigolo is that I cannot copy/move files to the mounted shares due to permissions. I cannot find a way to mount them read/write
    ASUS Zenbook 14 Ubuntu 22.10

Beans

havn't tried writing to a share with gigolo may have a go later in the week
    luckily i only want the xubuntu machine as a media player in another room

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by cgkx View Post
    In Xubuntu 9.04, you need install "gvs-fuse'' and "fusesmb" before you can open remote folder/filesystem icon in Gigolo.

When you drag&drop or copy/paste to desktop, it doesn't show you the progress bar;however, it's creating a folder and is doing the copy.

To be more visible of the progress, you need to drag&drop or copy/paste from remote folder (double click to make Thunar open a folder window for this remote system) to one of your folder (double click, say your "home"). This way, you can see the progress.
    Last edited by cgkx; 2 Minutes Ago at 05:02 AM..
    Thankyou, thankyou. Been messing about with this for ages... and always gone back to gnome 'cos it's such a no-brainer in Nautilus. It's a bit of a faff having to open shares via gigolo, and it can't find any workgroups in its sidebar browser (or at least I can't make it see...) so you have to know the name of your remote target. Hopefully, Thunar will integrate network browsing in the future... though the developer doesn't seem keen.

With the read/write issue, foxy123, have you made yourself a member of the "fuse" group? I didn't have to do anything else.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by RichardG891 View Post
    With the read/write issue, foxy123, have you made yourself a member of the "fuse" group? I didn't have to do anything else.
    yes I'm a member of the fuse group but it does not help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Right. The share I've checked read/write access to is on one of my own machines running XP (i.e. simple file sharing) and with the same username.... so I've left log-in details in gigolo's bookmark blank. I'll try it at work and get back to you (shared volume on a debian server).

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I used to run Win XP on the same computer I run xubuntu 9.04 today. Reaching windows shares from this computer (in Windows days was never a problem). Today I can only access the shares from xubuntu using firefox by entering smb://server/

I tried to follow the steps in this threds with no success. I can se the workgroup. click on it to se the computer on which the windos share are, then I can click on the computer to see all the shares. Now If I click on any of the shares I will get an empty file list and "connection timeout". Any ideas on this? As I stated above I can reach the shares from the same xubuntu computer using Firefox.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Well. I have done some more reading in this and other threads with no success. The faults are:
    "Connection time out" and "Transport endpoint is not connected"

Have to say it works fine from the terminal, a long as you don't navigate the shares with Thunar.

Some says this is a "bug" lib-related samba/fuse other mentioned dual port issues in smb (http://threebit.net/mail-archive/samba/msg01522.html)

My "work around" was to have smb mounts in fstab, so no network browsing for me currently (this will at least decrease my wasted time and increase the Wife Satisfaction Index): http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=288534

Glad to here from you who solved this issue in another way or confirmed a bug somewhere (provide a link please).

Beans

Hello,
    I'm using xubuntu 9.04
    O.O.B I used giglo to mount my M$ shares (gig doesn't see workgroups or allow browsing of course) and that let me acess my files from some programs using the open or save as option but not all programs. It simply shows the shares in the bookmarks on the side panel. The shares of coarse don't show in thunar's places.

I tried to apt-get gvs-fuse but it said not found........

If there is another light weight alternative to thunar that will use the same bookmarks as the open option in totem I think that would be great. any sugestions?

oh without adding sources since I'd like to keep this clean as possable.
    Sometimes the best way to learn is to help.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sparvik View Post
    Hello,
    I'm using xubuntu 9.04
    O.O.B I used giglo to mount my M$ shares (gig doesn't see workgroups or allow browsing of course) and that let me acess my files from some programs using the open or save as option but not all programs. It simply shows the shares in the bookmarks on the side panel. The shares of coarse don't show in thunar's places.

I tried to apt-get gvs-fuse but it said not found........

If there is another light weight alternative to thunar that will use the same bookmarks as the open option in totem I think that would be great. any sugestions?

oh without adding sources since I'd like to keep this clean as possable.
    It should be
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install gvfs-fuse

Beans

sorry, I should have known it was a type-o

but with those installed it still didn't work so I started messing around with mounting with fusesmb in a terminal.

After changing permissions and groups around it worked fine. Now I should be able to access my shares with any app

**Just checked, gigolo still cant see workgroups but it opens locations now in thunar. Found that it was mounting the shares in /home/username/.gvfs**
    Last edited by sparvik; June 3rd, 2009 at 03:54 AM. Reason: tested a bit more
    Sometimes the best way to learn is to help.

Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast