Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: How to: Xubuntu - Thunar Native Windows Network Browsing

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: How to: Xubuntu - Thunar Native Windows Network Browsing

Quote Originally Posted by atiu View Post
    I am encountering problems under Xubuntu 7.04. I am able to browse and open the files shares on WIFI connection without problems, but on wired lan, I am unable to open the shares/folders. The workgroup and share names are shown but once I try to open the folder, it says "unable to open" after it times out in a few seconds.

I've followed the instruction and tried a fresh install without luck. Any help will be highly appreciated.

Albert
    viewing samba shares using Gnome-VFS and many other techniques has always been flakey. I would strongly suggest just mounting the share locally within a folder using CIFS and I gurantee you won't get the unable to open error. here's a guide for mounting windows shares with cifs:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=288534

you don't need to install winbind and what not, you can always just use the IP address instead of the netbios name, if you can already ping the machine by hostname/netbios name, then you CAN use the netbios name when mounting with CIFS. good luck.

Beans

Since I got fusesmb to work with a different router, I'm fine with this solution for now. However, I am just wondering how the router affects fusesmb browsing.

Albert

Beans
    Distro

you could always browse the settings of each of the routers and see what may be different. I know that some routers can have their MTU changed, I think that has to do with wireless though. Also, is it possible that the routers cache is larger on one than the other? I don't know just throwing out ideas.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish

I'd just like to say a big thank you for this how to. I've been using Ubuntu since Hoary but I've stayed away from XFCE until now because access to samba shares on my network is essential. Anyway, just got hold of an old laptop and decided to install Xubuntu. I then followed this how to and I now have seamless access to all the shares on my network. Great work, and again, many thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Great thread!!!

I was having problems with this breaking and not having the shares show up after rebooting my PC's. I've found that assigning static IP's to the effected systems works great. Using DHCP seems to hose everything for me....
    pay it forward

Beans

I can access the Xubuntu's Share Folder from my Windows XP PC, but how can I get Xubuntu to be able to access my Windows XP's share folder?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by gundamb2 View Post
    I can access the Xubuntu's Share Folder from my Windows XP PC, but how can I get Xubuntu to be able to access my Windows XP's share folder?
    This worked for me.... not ideal, but easy to do!

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=500734

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I had the same problem as so many others (owner and permissions changing after running fusesmb). What finally fixed it for me was either one or both of these steps:
    • renaming the /media/network directory to /media/lan
    • finding a .hal-mtab and a .hal-mtab-lock file in /media and deleting them

I hope this post may help others.

Cheers!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I'm looking for a method which will allow network shares to be mounted temporarily. Not all my machines are up at the same time, and if anyone's ever tried this, there are huge problems when you try to access the directory where the remote mount point is.

It won't display the directory until it communicates with the remote directory, which it can't, so the directory never comes up, killing off your GUI file browsing capability altogether (including all local files).

I remember having some tense moments trying to recover from this scary situation on both my Ubuntu machines, but now my Xubuntu machine is locked in this and I can't unmount even with -force, after a minute or so I get an I/O error. Hope I can recover...

If I can recover, I won't do any network browsing until I can find something that will allow me to temporarily browse network shares, like "Places - Network" in Ubuntu. If it doesn't find anything, it still displays, it just doesn't display the share.

Incidentally I was never able to get fuse working, I encountered the permissions issue so many have in this thread. LinNeighborhood worked great though, but now I have dead mounts which have screwed up Thunar completely...

Also a tip I found - in order to get fuse working you need smbfs. I had the full samba, but that wasn't enough. Once I installed smbfs in the process of installing LinNeighborhood, the fuse shares were immediately visible, I just didn't have permission to see anything in them.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Fraoch View Post
    I'm looking for a method which will allow network shares to be mounted temporarily. Not all my machines are up at the same time, and if anyone's ever tried this, there are huge problems when you try to access the directory where the remote mount point is.

It won't display the directory until it communicates with the remote directory, which it can't, so the directory never comes up, killing off your GUI file browsing capability altogether (including all local files).

I remember having some tense moments trying to recover from this scary situation on both my Ubuntu machines, but now my Xubuntu machine is locked in this and I can't unmount even with -force, after a minute or so I get an I/O error. Hope I can recover...

If I can recover, I won't do any network browsing until I can find something that will allow me to temporarily browse network shares, like "Places - Network" in Ubuntu. If it doesn't find anything, it still displays, it just doesn't display the share.

Incidentally I was never able to get fuse working, I encountered the permissions issue so many have in this thread. LinNeighborhood worked great though, but now I have dead mounts which have screwed up Thunar completely...

Also a tip I found - in order to get fuse working you need smbfs. I had the full samba, but that wasn't enough. Once I installed smbfs in the process of installing LinNeighborhood, the fuse shares were immediately visible, I just didn't have permission to see anything in them.
    all you would have to do is run,
    smbtree
    when it asks for a password, just hit enter (meaning don't enter one) that will display all hosts that are on and which shares they have that are guest accessible. then when you see the machine is on, you can use
    smbclient -L hostname, then it asks for a password, either enter your password for that hostname or just hit enter (not entering a password will allow to see only shares that have guest access turned on), then this will display the shares that are available using that password or just the guest shares.
    Just a tip, that's the only suggestion I have regarding thunar locking up on you.

Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast