Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: How to: Xubuntu - Thunar Native Windows Network Browsing

Beans

Re: How to: Xubuntu - Thunar Native Windows Network Browsing

Hi All,
    quickly...
    - tried the "Tazix How to"...: every step ok....
    - tried the "EatMorePie trick to avoid installing Samba"..: found problems...
    1) trying to use the command "chgrp fuse /dev/fusesmb" I don't find any "fusesmb" file under /dev directory; there is only a "fuse" file....;
    - found the "fusesmb" file under /usr/bin/ directory together at "fusesmb.cache" and "fusermount" files...
    ...lost in Linux space....any idea??

best regards...
    faby

Beans

Question Re: How to: Xubuntu - Thunar Native Windows Network Browsing

hello everyone

Im a newbie in ubuntu/xubuntu and im stuck in this:

Quote Originally Posted by Tazix View Post
    7) In XFCE Applications -> Settings -> Autostarted Applications... Add an application... name and describe as you wish... for command line, put: fusesmb /media/network (Or whatever mountoint you created).

it returns me an error: Error writting the file autostart/(mynamedescription).desktop ( the original error message is in portuguese -> "Falha ao escrever ficheiro autostart/ddd.desktop" where ddd is the name that i gave for the service name)

I believe its because i am not the root user, but no password is asked. How can i run xfce as root in order to alter or create the file ? Can i add this autostarted app by terminal in order to use the sudo thing?

This must be a simple thing but im a noob

cheers

Beans

SOLVED

Created a new user with admin privileges and added the app .. i really dont know whats wrong with my default user.. but its done .

cheers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Question Re: How to: Xubuntu - Thunar Native Windows Network Browsing

This guide is exactly what I was looking for, but I am having an issue.

Everything seems to work fine, the mount point contains the workgroups, which in turn contains the servers, and the shares (ie. "/media/network/WORKGROUP/DANGERMOUSE/MUSIC (M)" exists) and I can browse this structure to that point, but as soon as I try to open the share (MUSIC in the above example) I get a dialog box saying
    Failed to open directory "MUSIC"
    Connection timed out.
    from Thunar, or from the command line
    Code:
    $ ls /media/network/WORKGROUP/DANGERMOUSE/MUSIC\ \(M\)/
    ls: /media/network/WORKGROUP/DANGERMOUSE/MUSIC (M)/: Connection timed out
    This is only a problem when accessing shares on the windows box in the network, accessing my local (samba) shares through this works perfectly. I'm 99.9% sure the windows shares aren't password protected (and it doesn't sound like a permissions problem anyway, but I could be wrong).

I've searched but can't seem to find anything useful. Has anyone else run into this, and found a cause and/or solution?

Note: I am actually using Ubuntu 6.10, not Xubuntu, but I use XFCE as my desktop. Not sure if this has any impact.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by DeprecatedBehaviour View Post
    Note: I am actually using Ubuntu 6.10, not Xubuntu, but I use XFCE as my desktop. Not sure if this has any impact.
    Hmm... since I haven't run into this... the only thing I can say is, yes, possibly it's something quirky with Ubuntu running the XFCE desktop instead of using pure Xubuntu. Miguellint reinstalled his Xubuntu and his problems went away.

Probably not the answer you want to hear, but I have no way of re-creating your situation since I don't run Gnome-Ubuntu at all.

You might try that fusesmb.cache command that Sawjew posted in this thread.

I really wish a Xubuntu dev would pipe in, here. My Linux knowledge is mediocre... above newbie, but far from guru.

-Taz

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I have had a similar problem and it seems to have resolved itself now. I don't think that using it on ubuntu is a problem as I had it working on a standard install of ubuntu edgy with no problems, I just used nautilus instead of thunar and it is much faster and easier than nautilus's samba browser.

I think I found that if I went to the windows pc first and accessed my ubuntu pc then the network worked fine after that. I had this problem but I am no longer having it and I am not exactly sure why. Sorry I can't help any more.

Beans

great howto i agree it should be default, I wasn't going to use thunar until I found this, because smb support is essential to me..

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Well... on a fresh installation on another machine... I ran into the same issue as Miguellint did.

Not exactly sure what is causing it.... but after several attempts of recreating directories in /media, manually running fusesmb /media/network in the terminal... what seemed to fix it was removing from autostarted applications... then a sudo fusesmb /media/network, then a reboot, then a discovery that the fuse permission needed to be redone (step 5) because it was no longer checked off, another reboot after fixing that, and then another manual fusesmb /media/network (no sudo this time). Once working the command can be added back to autostarted applications (step 7).

I also found after that after I got it working.... /media/ was root owner and 777, but /network/ was myself as owner and 755. I'm pretty sure fusesmb sets that on the fly, because when I tried the sudo fusesmb command... I couldn't get in the directory as myself... had to look at it "as root". Maybe adding a chown step 6.5 would be in order to help get the thing working. Example: Step 6.5 chown yourusername:yourusername /media/network

Anyway... the whole point is.... double check that step 5 took... you may have to fiddle around manually a few times, with a few reboots to get it to show step 5 didn't take. It must be some sort of PAM glitch or something. But it is repairable.

Hope that helps,

Taz

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

perfect thanks very much, this was the only reason to make still use of nautilus

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Thanks for the great howto, I just have one question which I'm afraid might be more about xp than xubuntu -

2 of the 3 computers on my network show up in mshome, but not the xp one that I'm really interested in seeing. The computer has a simple one-word name, similar description, is on the same workgroup, etc. I can see it fine from another xp computer.

Does anyone know why it doesn't show up in thunar? ( I can mount it just fine using mount //192..... )

Again, sorry for asking an xp-based question, but I figure you guys might have the most experience with this kind of problem

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast