Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: How to: Xubuntu - Thunar Native Windows Network Browsing

Beans

Re: How to: Xubuntu - Thunar Native Windows Network Browsing

Well, I had this working, now it's acting a lil fishy.

When the 'fusesmb /media/network/ command is run, the permissions/ownership for /media/network change.

It goes from

Code:
    drwxrwxrwx 2 root fuse 4096 2007-03-19 01:53 network
    while fusesmb isn't running. And when it is running it changes to

Code:
    drwxr-xr-x 3 oblivion oblivion 4096 2007-03-19 01:45 network
    As soon as I kill the fusesmb process it goes back to the first listing.

Thing is, I didn't even restart or anything, it was working, showing shares, and then just switched. I've tried deleting it/remaking/restarting.

Anyone else seen this? As it stands I can no longer view shares with its current behavior.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

i use xsmbrowser in Dapper Xubuntu, it allows you to mount stuff and make it be owned by a certain user and group also.

you need to start xsmbrowser as root though.

gksudo xsmbrowser

and then you're off. you do need to have samba setup though.

Beans

Well, currently I'm using LinNeighborhood to browse/mount shares. Was just hoping to get the Thunar method working again since it allows me to be much lazier. Log in, shares are there.

Beans

Now I'm really confused. Shares are showing up in Thunar now, didn't change anything though. Even while mounting/browsing shares with LinNeighborhood they wouldn't show up via fuse.

Any chance that fuse just takes a while to notice things?

Meh. Long as it's working.

Beans

I just started experimenting with Xubuntu. While looking for a way to easily browse network shares, I found this great HowTo.

Another way to browse network shares without mounting them is to use Midnight Commander (mc). It's kind of old school, but since it's text console based it can work no matter what version of Ubuntu is being used; and it can be used in a pinch if you can't access your shares with Thunar for some reason. mc is in the Dapper repositories and it's a fast file manager similar to the DOS app Norton Commander. Once it's installed, just type mc in a terminal to use it. To browse the network, click on either left or right, then select SMB link in the context menu that drops down. Then enter the networked computer's name, username, and password (if applicable - if you don't use a password, just leave it blank) and then you should be able to browse that computer's shared folders.

mc can also be used to work with FTP folders.
    "Klaatu barada nikto"
    On the keyboard of life, always keep one finger on the escape button.
    Registered Linux User 424417

Beans
    Hidden!

Hi all,

Is there any way of makeing this work with more than one administrative user.

i added a desktop user and added them to the fuse group and also gave permision to use use fuse under user-properties. but when i browse to the "/media/networt" it doesn't appear it seems to have dissapeared but under my account it works fine.

Puzzled, stumped, confused.

Tahnks

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Cool thread.

I haven't spent much time with Xubuntu, but how to connect to the network was corn-fusin' the crap out of me!

I've got Feisty loaded with gnome and xfce... Time to start gettin' to know that little mouse now!
    "He who lives by the penguin, dies by the penguin."
    (at least 'till he figures out what he's doing!)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

So this seems to work if I have Windows. Unfortunately for me, I have Mac OS X (running version 10.4.9). I haven't been able to get XUBUNTU to share with it, and have been surviving with ftp all this time.

I turned on Windows sharing, and although running smbclient -L 192.168.1.x -U% lets me list the servers, it doesn't let me see the shared directory, only shared printer and the IPC shares.

You don't happen to know how to get the Mac side make its share 'more' visible to the more fully-compliant XUBUNTU machine do you? Does anybody know a solution for me?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Um, OS X should support NFS if I'm not mistaken.
    aka anime4christ (I'm a guy, btw.)
    My personal boring website ^_^
    Jesus has changed your life. Save changes? (Y/N)

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Talking Re: How to: Xubuntu - Thunar Native Windows Network Browsing

WOW!! I can't believe this. What a great thread & How-To!! Thanks a million. This was the one thing that has stopped me (For over a year now) using XFCE as my WM. I've always deferred back to Gnome because Nautilus just copes so much better.... UNTIL NOW!!

It works great on my network, accessing both Win machines & Linux as well. I'm running the Xubuntu Feisty Beta.

One thing i will also say, with regards to what someone mentioned earlier about using "Midnight Commander" with Network shares etc. If you set your Xubuntu machine up to do this anyway (As in this How-To) then fire up MC, you can just access all your shares in the same way as you would with Thunar, but with a Dual Pane FM, and it seems to be a lot faster & more responsive than Thunar.

Anyway, way cool, & it's totally changed the way that i use my OS. I can now use XFCE across my Network!! Fantastic.
    Registered Linux user: #413753 | Ubuntu user: #7595
    | Tiny Me | antiX | Zenwalk |

Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast