Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: How to: Xubuntu - Thunar Native Windows Network Browsing

Quote Originally Posted by foxy123 View Post
    It should be
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install gvfs-fuse

I think it is a bit ridiculous that we are all gathering in this forum about something so core to an operating system that it is approaching shameful that it is not there. No operating system should be packaged without a workable network browser integral to its file management system. That is the problem with Xubuntu, which is, in all other respects, an excellent system for lightweight older machines.

Fuse and SMB worked back in 8.04 (if not quite elegantly or seamlessly). I have pinned the libsmbclient from 8.04 in my package manager but that is the only way I have gotten the whole thing to work for me in 8.10. The Gigolo thing in 9.04 simply is a failure.

Why can't someone from Canonical or other linux high-level pros write an update for Thunar with network browsing and file sharing that really WORKS?? This is a real sticking point which will drive us back to M$.

Jim

Beans

I understand your point but, it is free. From what I read, while something works great in one release it fails in the next. I think this is do to the "beta testing" being mostly done from people upgrading. Important packages and config files get forgotten because they where already there if you upgraded.

Now, perhaps if those of us that want the lower grade versions of Ubuntu could provide more support to the community in either Beta testing, source code or $$$ then things would get worked out before the official release.

As for me, I won't look a gift horse in the mouth.
    Sometimes the best way to learn is to help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by sparvik View Post
    I understand your point but, it is free. From what I read, while something works great in one release it fails in the next. I think this is do to the "beta testing" being mostly done from people upgrading. Important packages and config files get forgotten because they where already there if you upgraded.

Now, perhaps if those of us that want the lower grade versions of Ubuntu could provide more support to the community in either Beta testing, source code or $$$ then things would get worked out before the official release.

As for me, I won't look a gift horse in the mouth.
    Fair enough, but so much else of xubuntu works beautifully. It surprises me that this core component does not work at all. I wish I were better at coding or had the time to fo this. I would gladly.

J

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jwilentz View Post
    I think it is a bit ridiculous that we are all gathering in this forum about something so core to an operating system that it is approaching shameful that it is not there. No operating system should be packaged without a workable network browser integral to its file management system. That is the problem with Xubuntu, which is, in all other respects, an excellent system for lightweight older machines.

Fuse and SMB worked back in 8.04 (if not quite elegantly or seamlessly). I have pinned the libsmbclient from 8.04 in my package manager but that is the only way I have gotten the whole thing to work for me in 8.10. The Gigolo thing in 9.04 simply is a failure.

Why can't someone from Canonical or other linux high-level pros write an update for Thunar with network browsing and file sharing that really WORKS?? This is a real sticking point which will drive us back to M$.

Jim
    It is not Xubuntu's fault. As I understand it comes from upstream. Thunar is developed as a lightweight file browser and is not supposed to read networks. It is possible to write a plugin for this purpose but no one has done it so far.

You can use pyNeighborhood to browse and mount shares. Version 0.50 is quite good (https://launchpad.net/pyneighborhood) but unfortunately does not work for me for Windows shares.
    ASUS Zenbook 14 Ubuntu 22.10

Beans

I'm running xfce with thunar on linpus (acer aspire one setup) so I know this is a long shot for a response and I apologise for that, but this is the most significant place I've seen fuse discussed.

Has anyone had an experience where they manage to connect to a server (webdav at gmx.com in my case) but then thunar closes and on reopening it the mount-folder has disappeared? Using the ls command from the terminal it (infuriatingly) lists the folders in the drive...I just can't see how to access them using thunar!

I'm open to suggestions.

EDIT: I can also open the folder in thunar using the terminal by cd /myfolderlocation then sudo thunar... When there the name appears to be slightly wrong (it should be /mnt/home/gmxdrive it appears as mydisk:///gmxdrive) I don't know if this matters or not. It appears my network shares and permissions aren't correct on this folder (although I've set them on the folder prior to mounting the drive)...
    Last edited by goodwin57; June 25th, 2009 at 04:46 PM.

Beans

I encountered the same problems some time ago. I assume it is a bug related to acer modifications to thunar. The problem is related to shortcuts like mydisk. If you use path with the shortcut it shows only local filesystem for ex if you have one file in your mountpoint directory you see that file instead of the mounted share.

I have used the following solution:
    - mount share using pyneighborhood
    - open thunar and click filesystem. Browse to your mountpoint (/home/user/network/<mountpoint> in my case). when browsing this way there is no shortcuts in path.
    - if this is your standard share you are using often create a thunar bookmark to it.

Regs Tarmo

ps This forum is dedicated to ubuntu distro so it might be better idea to use acer aspire one forum for this discussion.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tlindvall View Post
    I encountered the same problems some time ago. I assume it is a bug related to acer modifications to thunar. The problem is related to shortcuts like mydisk. If you use path with the shortcut it shows only local filesystem for ex if you have one file in your mountpoint directory you see that file instead of the mounted share.

I have used the following solution:
    - mount share using pyneighborhood
    - open thunar and click filesystem. Browse to your mountpoint (/home/user/network/<mountpoint> in my case). when browsing this way there is no shortcuts in path.
    - if this is your standard share you are using often create a thunar bookmark to it.

Regs Tarmo

ps This forum is dedicated to ubuntu distro so it might be better idea to use acer aspire one forum for this discussion.
    actually it is an old Debian bug in libsmbclient:
    http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=497572

I have not checked it for a while but there is a solution now: instead of executing
    Code:
    fusesmb /media/network
    one should use -s command line switch, that disables multi-threaded operation, which is apparently the cause of the problem:
    Code:
    fusesmb -s /media/network
    I cannot say for sure that it works, but I did not encounter this problem for the last hour.
    ASUS Zenbook 14 Ubuntu 22.10

Beans

Thanks for your response. I can't see how to use PyNeighborhood to connect to a webdav folder - although as a gui for network connections it looks fairly intuitive from what I can see and that might come in useful. Regarding the use of "-s fuse", do you know how I can specify this when I'm using wdfs (which builds on fuse) to connect to webdav? The commands I use are:

smbd
    fusesmb (to load fuse and samba)
    wdfs https://storage-file-eu.gmx.com /media/gmxdrive -0 usename=username@gmx.com

I appreciate the help,

Simon

Edit: Just to make it clear from my above post, I've moved my mount from within 'home' to within 'media', and I can access the folder if I access it via the terminal (telling thunar to open in that location) but thunar doesn't recognise it as a location to browse to, and when I do browse to it (which I can only do once) it closes and closes thunar with it.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Tazix,

I was trying your most acknowledged process on Xubuntu 9.04. Everything is showing up of my network. But suddenly, while I'm browsing the windows network. It is giving an error "Transport endpoint is not connected." and the network folder is disappearing from media.

Can you please help. Please excuse my ignorance.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by jwilentz View Post

Jim
    Sorry if its been mentioned before, but I read that a few people had been having trouble getting smb shares to open in Thunar using Gigolo.... (as was I the first time I stumbled upon this thread today)

I managed to get Gigolo working by following this method.....

http://www.uvena.de/gigolo/help.html...ce-4-4-and-4-6

It worked after I'd installed these....

smbfs
    fuse-utils
    gvfs-fuse
    gvfs-backends
    gvfs-bin
    Last edited by Ginsly; August 14th, 2009 at 12:51 AM.

Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast