Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: How to: Xubuntu - Thunar Native Windows Network Browsing

Beans

Re: How to: Xubuntu - Thunar Native Windows Network Browsing

Quote Originally Posted by Zymous View Post
    It fixed mine as well. I suspect it's the answer to a lot of the questions posted here.

--
    Zym
    yea i ran that command as well, but it didn't work. i think that the problem they were experiencing and the one that we are experiencing are different.

what is bizarre to me is that this thing was working fine for the longest time, and then one day i just started getting this error message.

Beans

Angry Re: How to: Xubuntu - Thunar Native Windows Network Browsing

OK, so here it is. You can definitely get fuse working in Thunar under Xubuntu Hardy Heron using the Fusesmb Community documentation page:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Fu...ling%20fusesmb

I'll tell you in a moment if it persists in being OK when I reboot . . . No, Sir!!!@%%%#

Will have to work further.

Jim

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Easiest way I found is to install smbfs, then you can mount the shared folders. You have to know what they are of course, but once you figure that out it's as simple as:
    Code:
    sudo mount -t smbfs //192.168.1.x/folder /path/you/want/it/mounted
    Make a shortcut like "x-terminal-emulator -e" followed by that above command and just double click it, enter your sudo password, then go from there.

This is what I do between my 8.04 desktop and my 8.04 laptop, both running thunar for the file manager under fluxbox.
    Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe - Athlon64 3200+
    NVidia GeForce 6600GT 128MB - Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum
    Western Digital Raptor 74GB - Western Digital 120GB SATA
    Ubuntu 8.04 64-bit (Fluxbox primarily)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Hooya View Post
    Easiest way I found is to install smbfs, then you can mount the shared folders. You have to know what they are of course, but once you figure that out it's as simple as:
    Code:
    sudo mount -t smbfs //192.168.1.x/folder /path/you/want/it/mounted
    Make a shortcut like "x-terminal-emulator -e" followed by that above command and just double click it, enter your sudo password, then go from there.

This is what I do between my 8.04 desktop and my 8.04 laptop, both running thunar for the file manager under fluxbox.
    Is smbfs the same as fuse?

Also, since my desktop is in WinXP, and the system is DHCP, not static IP, might I use the computer name rather than the IP address if I wanted to go that route?

And in general wouldn't it be great for the linux box to connect with all available network resources rather than having to know in advance which they are? This is what the Mac OS can do and also (not as well) Win.

Jim

Beans

i really wish that i could figure this out. i have been having this issue for a while now, and it seems like everyone is hitting a brick wall.

i read on a zenwalk forum that they were having similar issues with fusesmb, and that were able to solve the problem by commenting out a line in /etc/hosts. of course i tried, and had no effect.
    Last edited by chalewa; July 13th, 2008 at 05:02 PM.

Beans

OK. I did it! Do what the fuse page says @

Then write a script called fusenet or whatever you wish as follows:

#!/bin/bash
    clear
    fusermount -u Network
    wait
    fusesmb Network
    wait
    cd Network
    Thunar

This script unmounts the fused filesystem that you had running when you shutdown, and restarts the network fuse that you had setup according to the directions in the site above. You can make a Launcher icon for this in the Xubuntu top toolbar, and launch it when you want to connect to the network. Works just the way the MacOS does. MacOS doesn't connect to the network file system until you click on network in Finder, then everything shows (if set up correctly)!

Oh one other thing . . . make sure you write changemod 755 fusenet or whatever you have called the script, so that you own it and have permission to run it. I've given up trying to automatically load the fusesmb on startup. The script which works after startup just won't workfor me during startup. I usually logout with the instruction to save previous session. This could be part of the problem, but it is good for other reasons.

Good luck,

Jim

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by stentor007 View Post
    OK. I did it! Do what the fuse page says @

Then write a script called fusenet or whatever you wish as follows:

#!/bin/bash
    clear
    fusermount -u Network
    wait
    fusesmb Network
    wait
    cd Network
    Thunar

This script unmounts the fused filesystem that you had running when you shutdown, and restarts the network fuse that you had setup according to the directions in the site above. You can make a Launcher icon for this in the Xubuntu top toolbar, and launch it when you want to connect to the network. Works just the way the MacOS does. MacOS doesn't connect to the network file system until you click on network in Finder, then everything shows (if set up correctly)!

Oh one other thing . . . make sure you write changemod 755 fusenet or whatever you have called the script, so that you own it and have permission to run it. I've given up trying to automatically load the fusesmb on startup. The script which works after startup just won't workfor me during startup. I usually logout with the instruction to save previous session. This could be part of the problem, but it is good for other reasons.

Good luck,

Jim
    that's fabulous. thanks so much for your help.

there was an error in your link

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FuseSmb

that is the correct path.

I also don't understand why the script is necessary... why not just add fusesmb Network (if using example) to your startup commands?

Beans

Cool Re: How to: Xubuntu - Thunar Native Windows Network Browsing

i got it working after a bit of tinkering and it even does seem to mount at startup

there is a problem though

i have shared one folder from my WinXP laptop and then theres the default SharedDocs. from ubuntu i see one more mysterious folder C$. i cannot view or edit any files in the folder i shared or the C$ folder: permission denied even for root although when creating my Network folder i set all the permissions to Read&Write. only the SharedDocs folder works properly.

what could cause this?

Beans

Yea i have that issue as well... I wouldn't worry about it, if the other share works, and no one can get into C$, then who cares.

Beans
    Hidden!

I have my main user and machine name is the same, so is the netbios name... all are called paspory

When I do this solution I see...

/media/network/mshome/paspory/myshare

I can get right down to myshare before problems start....

When I try to enter myshare I get connection time out immediately....

also

also i see some peculiarity happening with "paspory" vs "paspory.local"

For some reason my machine seems to operate better with the latter name where samba is concerened....but the former name seems to be picked up automatically by samba.

So when I use smbclient -L paspory I get some error

When I use smbclient -L paspory.local it prompts for a password, I hit enter and it gives me a list of shares and things available on the machine.

Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast