Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: How to: Xubuntu - Thunar Native Windows Network Browsing

Beans

Re: How to: Xubuntu - Thunar Native Windows Network Browsing

Quote Originally Posted by JustinAlf View Post
    My connection times out, and I can never see the files in the folders, but can always see the folders. How do I fix this?
    I have the same problem. Reinstalled xubuntu 2 times and re-done the procedure. I can use pyNeighborhood.
    Any hints?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by JustinAlf View Post
    My connection times out, and I can never see the files in the folders, but can always see the folders. How do I fix this?

having the exact same problem...maybe an update recently messed something up?

i never was having this problem before

Beans

very useful thread!

Beans

It's work perfectly on hardy too. I hope u don't mind if i translate it into my language and put it on my blog. Here's the link: http://rametux.wordpress.com/2008/06...ing-di-thunar/
    I hope my other fellows from my country could more understand it
    Thank u very much...

Beans

Thx, this works like a charm!

I've added it to the Dutch Ubuntu Wiki:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WindowsNetwerkInXubuntuThunar

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Thanks Taz. Once I sorted a few PICNIC problems out got it working fine. Excellent how to!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Tazix View Post
    Since Thunar doesn't have native network Browsing, here is a good way to accomplish it:

1) In XFCE's Applications -> System -> Shared Folders. (This should trigger a Samba install if you don't already have a share, and it should allow you to define the proper workgroup)

2) Install fusesmb in Synaptic (from Universe repository)

3) Edit /etc/modules and add the word 'fuse' to the modules list to be loaded (without quotes), and save the file.

4) Reboot, so the fuse module loads, and the proper workgroup is read for samba.

5) In XFCE Applications -> System -> Users and Groups... Properties of your username... User Priveleges Tab... check "Allow use of fuse file systems..."

6) Create a directory that you are going to mount your network browse to... I used /media/network. Change permissions to read / write for group and others (777).

*** 6.5) In a terminal, type: sudo chown <username>:fuse /media/network
    (Where <username> is your user account logon name)

*** 6.6) Double check that the permission to use fuse took. Applications -> System -> Users and Groups... Manage Groups... find fuse and choose properties. Make sure your user name account is in that group and check-marked.

*** 6.7) Reboot the system and triple check with step 6.6

7) In XFCE Applications -> Settings -> Autostarted Applications... Add an application... name and describe as you wish... for command line, put: fusesmb /media/network (Or whatever mountoint you created).

8) Open Thunar, and navigate to the parent folder of your mountpoint... then drag the 'mounpoint folder' to the places (shortcut) pane of thunar.

9) Logout and log back in (So the user privilege and fusesmb autostart will take affect)

*** Added steps to help prevent some access denied issues some people have been experiencing with fusesmb.

My original thread on this topic is here: http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=300310

I hope this helps my fellow Xubuntu users... and I also hope that the Xubuntu team somehow enables something similar by default, or at least as an install option.

-Taz
    Wow! Thank you so much. I guess one of the drawbacks of Xubuntu is its very lightness. So one has to add the components as needed, and that takes some sophistiation. As a noob, I really appreciate the help. Worked like a charm.

Beans

For some reason it worked like a charm the first time, but after shutting down and restarting I get a "permission denied" when trying to access /media/network, and, although I can see the architecture of the Windows computer on the network, when I try to connect to a folder I get "Failed to open directory {NAME}, Connection timed out. When I open Thunar under my login I see the Network folder, but if I open Thunar as root, or if I navigate to /media/network from terminal, the file doesn't exist. I think something has happened to cancel the fuse after the reboot, but I'm a noob and can't figure it out. All help appreciated!!!

Jim

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by stentor007 View Post
    For some reason it worked like a charm the first time, but after shutting down and restarting I get a "permission denied" when trying to access /media/network, and, although I can see the architecture of the Windows computer on the network, when I try to connect to a folder I get "Failed to open directory {NAME}, Connection timed out. When I open Thunar under my login I see the Network folder, but if I open Thunar as root, or if I navigate to /media/network from terminal, the file doesn't exist. I think something has happened to cancel the fuse after the reboot, but I'm a noob and can't figure it out. All help appreciated!!!

Jim

yea see above...

a lot of people have been experiencing this very problem. I don't know why it is happening, nor have i found any type of solution to it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Zymous View Post
    It fixed mine as well. I suspect it's the answer to a lot of the questions posted here.

--
    Zym
    Did NADA for me. Any other ideas?? I'm left with a folder: "network" under a directory: "media" that I can see with Thunar as my logon, but not as root!!!!!

Hard to fathom. I can't delete the directory network either.

Jim

Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast