Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: How to: Xubuntu - Thunar Native Windows Network Browsing

Beans

Re: How to: Xubuntu - Thunar Native Windows Network Browsing

Hello,

I am new to Linux.. Ubuntu... I have installed Ubuntu 7.10 on my main system.. no windows .. and now installed Xubuntu 7.10 on my laptop...

laptop
    ---------
    Panasonic CF-47 Toughbook
    P3 500
    192 megs ram
    40gig HD
    ---------

I had problems getting samba to work in Xubuntu, had to use universal repositories and reinstall samba... then followed the instructions for fusesmb... networking worked great until I shutdown the computer.

I have found that I can't run fuse in auto start since my networking is done via a PCMCIA card. so I have to start the computer and then get the network card running and then manually enter

fusesmb /media/network

to be able to browse the home network.

I can access the Wifes XP shared directory and my Ubuntu share... but I can't access the W2k shares.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Nice !
    awesome how to !
    Thanks a lot

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

does the W2K machine have users and passwords setup on it? Have you properly shared the folders for users or guests?

you can issue this command to see if you have any guest available shares on teh W2K machine. Enter this into a terminal session.

smbclient -L -U username hostname

Example, if there was a username on the W2K machine named joe and the W2K machine's computer name (hostname) was joescomputer.

smbclient -L -U joe joescomputer

this will prompt you for a password, if you don't enter joes password it should only show you guest available shares. If you enter joes password it should show you all shares available to joe. If you issue this command, it should at least show you which computers on the network are running windows file sharing and or samba

findsmb

or

smbtree

again, don't enter any password and see what it returns. good luck

Beans

Hello, thanks for the info....it is amazing the amount of info at the command prompt one can get within Linux....

findsmb

&

smbtree

-------------------
    shawn@trystan:~$ smbtree
    Unknown parameter encountered: "password"
    Ignoring unknown parameter "password"
    Password:
    -------------------
    I enter my user password and the computers and their shares sroll up.

I can see the computers on the network, even the print servers and hidden shares ones that I did not know about.

tried the command smbclient

shawn@trystan:~$ smbclient -L -U Shawn SLAVE
    Unknown parameter encountered: "password"
    Ignoring unknown parameter "password"

and I get nothing... I can get to the hidden shares from my main system which has Ubuntu 7.10 with Samba installed.

I am thinking that I am missing something maybe a package or something not configured properly, I wil have to do some reading and looking for what packages are installed and required and where they are installed. I do not know enough to find my way around linux.

right now the fastest way I can transfer files from my W2k machine to my laptop is via the main system...

-------------------- additional info-------------

Wifes computer - XP
    Second computer - W2k
    Kids computer - W2k
    main system - Ubuntu 7.10
    Lap-top - Xubuntu 7.10

I just checked my sytems, My ubunto machine can see and access everythign on the network. My lap-top can access everything except my W2k machine and the W2k & XP sytems can't access the linux shares.....

definatly more to think about .... most of the communication is just one way.
    Last edited by Shawn Reist; January 7th, 2008 at 04:30 AM. Reason: additional info

Beans

Important! Check that the DNS is working poperly. I could see the shares into media/network but when trying to read them I got "Timeouts" messages. After a lot of headache I realized that the IP of the machine where the share was hosted was wrong!

Once I put the ip in /etc/hosts everything was fine.

Beans

I can't get it to work:S

It works as long as i am root. But this is useless because i don't want to be the root all the time.
    What can i do?

EDIT::

Seemed to have it fixed now, with the .smb/fuse.conf file
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FuseSmb

EDIT2::

I thought I had it, but when I now try to open the folder directly under the hostname I get the message "not enough memory" and nothing happens. What should I do?
    Last edited by boterbram; January 22nd, 2008 at 12:48 AM.

Beans

Thanks! Great HOWTO!

I got this working on XUbuntu 7.10 just by following the instructions in the first post of this thread. After this, I was able to remove 'samba' via Synaptic so that I didn't have to run a samba-server on my laptop just so I could browse my samba server.

To authenticate against my password protected samba server, I just had to add these lines to ~/.smb/fusesmb.conf :
    [/SERVERNAME]
    username=myusername
    password=mypassword

I'd love it if there was a solution that didn't force me to put passwords in plaintext in a file somewhere though. Also, if I move my laptop to a different network where there are different servers and different authentication details, this is still a pain. I fall back to nautilis in these scenarios.

However, whenever I run nautilis from the command-line, I lose my XUbuntu desktop (different icons, different background image), and don't know how to get it back without logging out! I was able to solve this by running nautilis as follows:

nautilus --no-desktop

Hope that helps someone...

Beans

Thanks for the how to. Like many I'm using this on my eee pc with eeeXubuntu.

Ran into the same problems that others had; browsing worked first time but browsing the network would time out on subsequent boots.

I'm guessing that maybe fuse was starting before my wifi network was fully connected --- for some reason eeexubuntu nm-applet throws up a password dialogue when connecting to wifi.

So I removed fuse from autostarted apps and put the command in a script that i run manually. Works for me as I don't always need the network and the network shares aren't always turned on anyway.

Beans

I had the same issue as Bartoni with fusesmb not working if I had it as an autostarted application. I have been posting about it here:

http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=14941

Interestingly I came to the same conclusion about why it may not be working. I will investigate further tonight with trying to manually load fusesmb before the network is up to see if I get the same timeout failure.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

This is a great how to & i have used it successfully on several Xubuntu installs.... HOWEVER!...... i have come to the conclusion that it's just as easy (EASIER, in fact) to install "Konqueror" (Along with the KDE Base etc) and then just use that to do all of my browsing, both on the local Network & also on the Net itself. It works fantastically and doesn't really slow anything down at all, even on older (PIII etc) machines.....

If only Thunar/XFCE had this capability......
    Registered Linux user: #413753 | Ubuntu user: #7595
    | Tiny Me | antiX | Zenwalk |

Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast