Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: accesible login

Beans

accesible login

Hi,
    first of all I'd like to thank you for uour job on the accessibility in ubuntu, especially for onboard, which makes my life with ubuntu much easier. last time gok was usable for me was on slackware 9.0.

my question is: how can accessible login be done? I mean, now when I want to log in I have to ask some one to enter login and pass for me or to set up GDM to loging me in automatically. can it be done so I could enter them through onboard or any other osk?
    Last edited by sir_skiner; November 21st, 2006 at 03:10 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: accesible login

Hello,

Making onboard available at the login screen is one of the next targets for onboard. See here.

In the meantime, you might set it up by yourself by following the indications of the last messages of this thread.

frafu

Beans

thank you for your answer, but onnboard doesn't start with gdm. do I have to ad this line at the very end of gdm's config file or at the end of the loop?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I have not tried it myself, as I have automatical login enabled; however as I understand you should make the following:
    (do it at your own risk; please don't do it if you have data on your computer that you don't want to lose.)

Open terminal and type:
    Code:

sudo cp /etc/gdm/Init/Default /etc/gdm/Init/Default.backup
    gksudo gedit /etc/gdm/Init/Default
    You will be asked for your password.
    The first line makes a backup of the file we are going to edit. The second line will open the shell script named 'Default' located in /etc/gdm/Init in the Text Editor named gedit. You have to edit that file.

You will have to add the 2 words 'exec onboard' before the last line. The bottom of the file should look like:
    Code:

fi

exec onboard &

exit 0
    Save the file and close gedit.

Afterwards, open the menu:
    System->Administration->Login Window

The window containing the preferences of the Login Window will open. In this window do the following:

- choose the tab named 'Local'
    - click on the popup at the right of 'Style' and set it to 'Plain'. (mine was set to 'Themed')
    - close the window

If I understood the indications in the other thread correctly, now you should see onboard at the login screen.

frafu
    Last edited by frafu; November 22nd, 2006 at 02:33 PM.

Beans

ah, a little corection. there should be:
    Code:
    exec onboard&
    including pure 'exec onboard' makes gdm startup hangs before all is done. everything else cheks.

last thing. onboard starts fine, but it starts in the center of screen so it overcasts gdm login window. how to change its startup position ang geometry through the command line?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Thanks for the indication to add an & to the onboard starting command; I have fixed it.

I have further replaced sudo with its version for graphical applications gksudo.

Unfortunately, I don't know if it is possible to tell onboard its starting position. I will ask the developer...

frafu

Beans

OK this seems to work, it's a quick hack using some code I left in to do something else then forgot about.

Add this after line 100 in /usr/share/onboard/sok.py

self.window.do_set_gravity(gtk.gdk.GRAVITY_SOUTH_E AST)

note due to a bug it does not matter whether you change SOUTH_EAST to NORTH_EAST etc. onboard will appear in the top left.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Wow this is cool! xvkb allowed me access to Linux, onbord will allow me security. Hay can you make the letters the same size as the keys like xvkbd? How customizable is the interface? Is it still in development? who could I offer suggestions to?
    Thanks Alvin ka9qlq
    Kubuntu12.04 XFCE on a AMD X2 6000+ Asus M3A78-CM 4 GB RAM Logitech, Inc. QuickCam E 3500 & 2 TB of SATA HD
    Be careful what you say it will be held against you.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ka9qlq View Post
    Wow this is cool! xvkb allowed me access to Linux, onbord will allow me security. Hay can you make the letters the same size as the keys like xvkbd? How customizable is the interface? Is it still in development? who could I offer suggestions to?
    Glad to see you are satisfied.

You can find a reply to your layout question in your other thread.

Yes, it is still in development; have a look at these pages:
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Accessibilit...ight=%28sok%29
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Accessibilit...=%28onboard%29
    https://launchpad.net/onboard

Have a nice day.

Beans

I played a little to give the correct size to the onboard login keyboard, on my laptop (1280x800).

Edit /usr/share/onboard/KbdWindow.py

raw 21-25

.................................................. .
    #if x and y:
    # self.set_default_size(x,y)
    #else:
    self.set_default_size(600,180)
    #self.set_type_hint(gtk.gdk.WINDOW_TYPE_HINT_DOCK)
    .................................................. .

Play with the number 600, 180, change them till you get the desired size for your keyboard.

Aware: the language is tab sensitive, so u have to remove the initial tab in the line
    self.set_default_size(600,180)
    to allineate with the surrounding code or it doesn't function and the login keyboard disappear.

Last edited by v.cecchetto; July 4th, 2007 at 08:59 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast