Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Double your framerate in WoW under Wine

Beans

Re: Double your framerate in WoW under Wine

I had the crazy polygon issue as well when going indoors to outdoors.

The registry hack fixed that.

Heres how I have it working:

latest ATI driver installed via envyg -t

took out Disable "dri2" in the xorg.conf so that amdcccle would work

turned everything in there to performance.

gxAPI "OpenGL"

wine 1.1.10

Beans

I know this thread's really old, but I came here for help, and that screwed me, so I thought maybe I could help the next poor ******* out.

1st, wine has been updated since this guide (which means the writer of this guide had no way of knowing it wouldn't work a couple years later.)

It seems to me that you're no longer allowed to run wine with sudo. (it will produce an error). This would not be a problem, except that hack #2 involves you setting up wow on it's own X server (which you can ONLY do as root or with sudo). Hack #2, then, is completely broken unless you find a way to put wow on it's own x server without using root. I suggest a schrodinger's cat kind of thing, where the computer doesn't know if you're logged in as root or not until it looks at the terminal. Maybe that will give you enough time to set up the separate x server?

ugh....
    I've seen 1980s pointer arithmetic-heavy K&R C programs more readable than this.
    ~gnolam

Beans

oh, also, the friendly folks at wineHQ suggest that you delete the ~/.wine directory should you ever accidentally try to run wine as root. NO ONE TELLS YOU, maybe it's supposed to be common sense, BUT DOING SO WILL DESTROY ANY AND ALL PROGRAMS YOU'VE INSTALLED VIA WINE.

thanks, guys.
    I've seen 1980s pointer arithmetic-heavy K&R C programs more readable than this.
    ~gnolam

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Quote Originally Posted by Miles_Prower View Post
    It seems to me that you're no longer allowed to run wine with sudo. (it will produce an error). This would not be a problem, except that hack #2 involves you setting up wow on it's own X server (which you can ONLY do as root or with sudo). Hack #2, then, is completely broken unless you find a way to put wow on it's own x server without using root.
    Uhm, put it on its own server. Only X needs root to start. So put sudo in front of the X line inside the shell script.
    Warning: Any code examples I write are probably untested and contain bugs. Do not execute directly. Look for intent, not accuracy, please!
    L.A.G. - Jobs Dissembles - 2010/4/29

Beans

i've tried putting sudo into the script there, but there was some trouble with the terminal turning around and asking for my password, but then the script would continue with the next command. Is there any way to get around that kind of problem without typing my password into the script?
    ~gnolam

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

That is not a problem, that's the point of sudo. Here's what I have for mine:

Code:
    #!/bin/sh

kdesudo -- X :3 -ac &   # Launches a new X session on display 3
    #nvidia-settings --load-config-only
    cd .wine/drive_c/games/World\ of\ Warcraft/
    sleep 10   # Forces the system to have a break for 2 seconds
    DISPLAY=:3 wine WoW.exe -opengl &  # Launches WoW
    This brings up a GUI dialog for the password.
    Warning: Any code examples I write are probably untested and contain bugs. Do not execute directly. Look for intent, not accuracy, please!
    L.A.G. - Jobs Dissembles - 2010/4/29

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by z00s View Post
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh

X :3 -ac &   # Launches a new X session on display 3 
     cd "~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/World of Warcraft"   # Goto WoW dir 
     sleep 2   # Forces the system to have a break for 2 seconds 
     DISPLAY=:3 /usr/X11R6/bin/wine WoW.exe -opengl   # Launches WoW
    i tried using this code to launch a game in a dedicated x server and upon restart tty1-6 have no text interfaces. just a buggy X display. do you know how i can recover my text consoles?

Beans

Holy Necromancy!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567