Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: noobie impression

Beans

noobie impression

I have to say I find the forums confusing...
    I think less categories and even no split hoary/warty would be simpler?

I fid it hard to know where to post and where to look for advice..Im sure as I stick around ill get to know it but I think it might put a few people off ...

OK lets be honest, it is putting people off because they are asking on other forums which are dedicated to other distro's!

I mod on the mandrakeusers forum (for my sins) although I no longer have a installed mandrake and I visit gento often as I have one gentoo server and I see a lot of Ubuntu questions which Im sure would be better off here!

I feel if it was less intimidating then they might have stuck about!

just me 2c ... Love the distro and Im sure Ill get the site worked out since Ill stick at it!

Beans

Re: noobie impression

i don't think that the reason people ask Ubuntu questions in other forums is that they don't know where to post here; mostly, when they can't get a satisfactory solution to their problems (which is a rare case!), they tend to ask around in other places as well, and that's natural.
    Previously known as 23meg

Beans

maybee...
    However I wonder where the heck to ask my upgrading hoary->warty amd64?
    under hoary-or warty?

but lets see what any noobs think?

Its hard to rebecome a noob once you know the site!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Gowator
    maybee...
    However I wonder where the heck to ask my upgrading hoary->warty amd64?
    under hoary-or warty?

but lets see what any noobs think?

Its hard to rebecome a noob once you know the site!
    If you are upgrading to Hoary then the post would go in the Hoary section. There are many posts relating to why we are broke up into different distro sections. If we combined them together it would be seriously confusing since there are major differences between Warty and Hoary.
    My Blog | Forum Search | Forum Guidelines
    Please don't PM support questions--post a thread so everyone can benefit!

Beans

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see the layout confusing at all. If you have Hoary, use that section, Warty has it's on section, if you develop, go to the Development section, the other support is open for about anyone.
    CloudRck.com - Host on CloudRck
    I sponsor open source projects and support users of such technologies. PM for details

Beans

right, it's all very clearly laid out.
    Previously known as 23meg

Beans

OK, just an observation.... strange though someone just said the same thing elsewhere ... (without prompting) but then they are used to a different layout too.

Lets see If I get used to it but perhaps its just because its easier to ask the question in a familiar place even if its not for Ubuntu and also perhaps because my experience is enough to not need too many questions... ??

Love the distro though (with the exception of the silly sudo thing but hey it wouldn't be a different distro without some foibles )

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

oh, sudo is hardly silly-- many many advantages-- and when you get used to it you'll wonder how you ever lived without

But anyway, if we combined the warty/hoary sections, unless we did more subtopic splitting, you could post a question for help and in an hour it would have moved past the first page-- and most people don't read past the first page. So you'd end up with nobody getting the help they need.

Beans

nope sudo is silly the way its implemented....

root is root and a user is a user and forcing someone to type the root password has a reason... at least its what the programmers expect.

Nothing wrong with sudo'ing just you should need the root password not your own else you mightest well just run as root!

Beans

Since it seems that ubuntu is attracting new users to linux, I would think that sudo is a good solution because it requires use of only one password. It's easy enough to set a root password (sudo passwd) for those that want it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast