Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Edgy Howto: Brother Printer MFC-215c complete

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: Edgy Howto: Brother Printer MFC-215c complete

Did you follow the howto in the scanner part where it gives some lines that need to be inserted to make it run normally without root?
    Regards,
    Matchless

Proudly kubuntu!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Scanner Installation:

Ensure you have already installed sane as per the beginning of this howto.
    You must additionally install a special driver which is the Brother backend for sane scanner which is used by Kooka (Kubuntu).

Ensure that printer is switched off

Right click on the brscan2-0.2.1-0.i386.deb file and select Kubuntu Package Menu, Install Package

Switch the printer on

Run Kooka in root (kdesu kooka) to check if the installation works (or Xsane if using Ubuntu)
    The reason for this is that the scanner MFC-215C is quite new and not yet present in the Kubuntu Dapper config files and you can just add these two lines. To fix this go to /etc/udev/rules.d/45-libsane.rules and find the 2 lines starting with #Brother MFC-210C , copy these lines below and change the model number to 215 and the product id to 0193 and reboot. Kooka should now run as ordinary user from the menu. This probably is more Dapper related. To lsusb in the terminal can give you the scanner details as well

# Brother|MFC 210C
    SYSFS{idVendor}=="04f9", SYSFS{idProduct}=="0161", MODE="664", GROUP="scanner"
    # Brother|MFC 215C
    SYSFS{idVendor}=="04f9", SYSFS{idProduct}=="0193", MODE="664", GROUP="scanner"
    Actually i didn't because there is no MFC 210 line whatsoever. I didn't do it because i was not sure what to put in, and i don't have 210 line to copy and modify.
    What should i do?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

OK,
    This must be your problem then. Open the file in your editor and do a search for Brother, this will take you to a line or two wher another model of brother is located, then insert the lines beneath these exactly as given in the howto, save and reboot and you should be scanning. Ignore the lines for the MFC210 or add them it does not matter I gave both as an example as older versions of Kubuntu had the MFC210 lines already in and Edgy had very little Brother info in the file.
    Regards,
    Matchless

Proudly kubuntu!

Beans

I sent this to Brother Support, hopefully it will help those with X86-64 Edgy cannot print test page problems. I have a MFC-425CN installed to the network using the MFC-210C drivers.
    I used the script as found on this thread (thanks very much) and added --force-install to the dpkg -i lines. I had to run it a second time as I did not have the extra repos enabled and csh was not installed.

I found by enabling the save error logs in localhost:631/admin page I could view a detailed description of what was happening.
    /usr/local/Brother/lpd/rastertobrij2 was reported as not being found, but really it was just not executing, which caused postscript to exit without creating a page. This zero sized page then was happily sent to the printer which then of course did nothing. Heh, who would have guessed.
    Working now, yahoo! Next to see about fax and scan...

Ivan

you may wish to add to your x86-64 faq:
    install ia32-libs

sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install ia32-libs

these libraries enabled the /usr/local/Brother/lpd/rastertobrij2
    executable to work so that a test page could be compiled and sent to the printer.

Took me all day, and a lucky discovery of the ldd command output, to put me on the right track.

Thank you for your continued linux support... it will benefit your bottom line in the end as the user base is growing exponentially.

Kind regards,
    Ivan

Beans

For those trying to install a network scanner on an Edgy AMD64 machine follow this thread:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=278923
    Last edited by ipa; January 11th, 2007 at 06:51 AM. Reason: deleted search terms in url

Beans

Wink Re: Edgy Howto: Brother Printer MFC-215c complete

Matchless:

Ohh, I finally get it. I re-read your tutorial and I've made modifications to mine. It works! I got the fax printing going. Thanks, buddy! You've been very helpful to completing my tutorial on the MFC-210C.

I've borrowed from your tutorial and shaped it into how I write my tutorial. But you've helped a great deal.

Thanks again.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Bobsongs,
    And my turn to thank you as your mfc210 howto gave 95% of the details for the mfc215c! All I now need is a linux version of the Inksaver program. I am still amazed at the excellent help I got from Brother support to put me on the way in getting the fax going!
    Keep up the good work, your howto is an absolute winner and lifesave to a lot of people out there.
    Regards,
    Matchless

Proudly kubuntu!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Just to let you know that these instructions helped to get my MFC-5840CN running. Both printing and scanning is running correctly.

I was using Ubuntu 6.10 AMD64. The instruction on the Brother web site also helped a lot, since you need to copy a file across to the Lib64 folder in order to get it to work with the AMD64.

Many thanks

Your mouse has moved. Windows must be restarted for the change to take effect. Reboot now? [ OK ]

Beans

Smile Re: Edgy Howto: Brother Printer MFC-215c complete

I tested the installation with my MFC-315CN printing directly over network. It works. So you can quote as TESTED the network installation.

The Scanner didn't work. I hope i can solve this soon.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Rabe_,
    Thanks have updated howto

Quote Originally Posted by Tabe_ View Post
    I tested the installation with my MFC-315CN printing directly over network. It works. So you can quote as TESTED the network installation.

The Scanner didn't work. I hope i can solve this soon.
    Regards,
    Matchless

Proudly kubuntu!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast