Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Second Life

Beans

Re: Second Life

Any one got this working in edgy?

Beans

I was just wondering. Do you need to pay a subscription fee to play this game?
    Educate men without faith and you make them clever devils
    Educate men without Linux, then yeah, the opposite happens
    Let Chakra guide the way
    U.3F

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Anyone got this working in 64 bits?
    "Demasiada animalidad desfigura al hombre cultural, demasiada cultura crea animales enfermos."

-- Carl Gustav Jung

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by EdThaSlayer View Post
    I was just wondering. Do you need to pay a subscription fee to play this game?
    No - you can play for free, but to get any decent stuff you either need to work hard in game, or pay some real cash to buy in-game currency (called Linden Dollars). Typically it's about 1 USD to 280 Lindens, although the rate varies with the market.

If you sign up for an account and give them your paypal or credit card details, they give you L$250 to begin with (they do one $1 test billing, but it's refunded). If you pay the $9.95 subscription then you get L$1000 plus L$30 a week.

The best way to play is probably to use your innate linux scripty skills to build stuff in game and sell it.

Now if only I could get my video card to work in linux, I'd be able to ditch the ******* version and play it "pure"
    "No thanks, I prefer them this colour. Now, what was I doing?"

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Darrious View Post
    For me it is just that my graphics card is not compatible so the game runs VERY SLOW for me. It takes at least a minute just to render clothes on anyone.
    This is unrelated to graphics card performance. All the in-game content ("prim" geometry, textures, sounds) is streamed across the net on demand. That's why rendering takes some time when you enter a new area or encounter avatars with custom clothing and accessories.

I've been playing the game for a week now (Edgy + fglrx 8.28.8) and found the Linux client to be totally stable. No crashes yet. Sure, there may be some lag in crowded areas, but this affects the Windows client as well since it's a server-side issue. For SL, broadband internet is even more important than a good graphics card.

By the way, there is a SL modelling plug-in for Blender (Prim.Blender). It can be used to build complex SL models offline using the Blender UI, then import them into the game using a script.

The game itself can be described best as a mixture of The Sims, MySpace, and IRC. With the free account you cannot own land in SL, but other than that there are no restrictions. You can build and script your own stuff, store it in your inventory (even if it's as large as a house!), sell it to others or attach it to your avatar's body parts to customize its appearance. Freebies can be found in lots of places. SL's virtual world is vast and always changing since the residents keep building new stuff all the time. You can spend hours exploring the area with friends. Although SL doesn't have a goal in the traditional sense of gaming, it's a lot of fun and highly addictive, and the Linux client is very easy to install (just unpack and run).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Popoi View Post
    Anyone got this working in 64 bits?
    Hello Popoi!

"The Second Life client is a 32 bit application. Due to the nature how libraries work, you must provide 32 bit libraries for 32 bit applications and 64 bit libraries for 64 bit applications. On 64 bit linux systems you need to install the 32 bit compatibility versions of all the libraries Second Life needs."

Code:
    $ cd /path_to_secondlife/lib
    $ sudo wget http://romanoblog.free.fr/telechargements/libuuid.so.1
    Tested on debian etch.
    Good game!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

This is probably a dumb question. But can some one tell how to uninstall second life, I have little hard drive space and i want to take most of it back.

Thanx

Beans

Okay, so here's the kicker. I gave that same error to myself, trying to stop the client from constantly crashing on me. ~LOL~ Here's what happened:
    I was constantly having the client run for a little while, only to crash my entire system, over and over again. So I outsourced after do all I could to fix the problem (to no avail). I asked someone in SL's Ubuntu area if they could help, and they told me to do this:
    Code:
    mac@mac1:~$ sudo mv /lib/modules/2.6.20-16-386/kernel/drivers/char/agp/intel-agp.ko /lib/modules/2.6.20-16-386/kernel/drivers/char/agp/intel-agp.ko-orig
    So I did this just now, and I'm getting the Window Creation Error coming up when I try to launch the client. Is there any way to get SL to open again, without the constant crashing?

Beans
    Hidden!

has anybody tried this deb yet? it's the 32 bit
    http://www.getdeb.net/release.php?id=1240
    I'm thinking of trying out SL at some point to see what all the buzz is about (I'm not a gamer, but I like how universities have online classrooms and stuff, and I don't want to spend any money on it)
    It's all about people

Beans
    Hidden!

Wow, that getdeb package is easy to install and works like a charm. In fact, works better than the windows version on the same computer.

It's fun, like the next generation of IRC. Though, It's not quite there yet, it has a lot of promise and potential. Very exciting new technology.
    It's all about people

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123