Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Unofficial UbuntuGuide 5.04 Add-On CD Guide

Beans
    Distro
    Edubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Unofficial UbuntuGuide 5.04 Add-On CD Guide

Great job

I could quite to get ubuntu to work following the guide, but with the Add-on cd
    everything works perfectly

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Sheytan
    Great job

I could quite to get ubuntu to work following the guide, but with the Add-on cd
    everything works perfectly
    Being another interested but not knowing type....

Why would this disc not work with the 5.10 version?

What would go wrong if I tried?

What kind of evil things will it do?

How exactly does this disc work in terms of installing the apps and is it not windows like where the app senses the version and installs accordingly?

I read this thread and though it helped make up my mind on installing ubuntu this weekend but it confusing since the 5.10 is now recommended for fixing alot of bugs but apparently this quickie easy CD will not work on that and only on the older and more buggy 5.04.

And then there is all the 5.04 to 5.10 updates that crash so that seems like the least attractive method.

Is there a way that the disc can be made to update or check for update all these add ons. I have been reading these one at a time installs is a bit painful in terms of boredome/time consuming and occasional bug to fix so a one big swoop install is nice, kind of like the other one I have been looking at (SUSE with all those disks you get, for free).

I am interested in hearing from everyone. Maybe the updating to 5.10 is not as buggy as it appears on this forum and I should install 5.04 with this add on disk then update?

TAKE CARE NOW EVERYONE!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

jiyuu0, you are the greatest! I practically sleep with your unofficial guide under my pillow. And this Add-On CD is just what I was looking for.

I have already used apt-get to download and install some of the stuff on the CD. Could that create a problem when I run the CD? I should think not. Anyway, I am going to give the CD a try.

Beans

thank you for your great work, this saves me a lot of time
    - Jerry

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by chettyk
    I have already used apt-get to download and install some of the stuff on the CD. Could that create a problem when I run the CD? I should think not. Anyway, I am going to give the CD a try.
    Well, I went right ahead and ran the install script on the Add-On CD. After I installed Ubuntu 5.04, I had added the multiverse and universe repos in the sources.list, and run update and upgrade. Plus I had installed Thunderbird and stuff like Firestarter, flashplayer etc. It was only after this that I used the Add-On CD. It worked like a charm. In a matter of minutes, I installed all the additional software I required and the script also made the required configuration changes. I am delighted and thrilled. This CD is just what Ubuntu lacked all this while.

Beans

wait, the add-ons aren't already part of the Ubuntu iinstall CD already? Great, I have to find a way to burn this to disc. XD
    Current System: Acer Aspire One D255E Netbook.

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Question Re: Problem installing Add-on CD

Last edited by linuxeiro; October 4th, 2005 at 10:33 PM.

Beans

How do you update these?

Hi,
    Being a paranoid newbie, how do you update/upgrade these packages? I assume they won't automatically be updated by synaptic as synaptic categorizes those packages as
    If it's local or obsolete, I wouldn't expect it to update it, right?

Also, I unchecked the repository entry {cdrom:[Ubuntu 5.04 _Hoary Hedgehog_ - Release i386 (20050407)]/} in synamptic, thinking that a cd is now useless. is this your cd, written by your script, or something else (I don't know how to read scripts...)?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Will the 2005-08-01 work on 5.10, or do we have to wait for you to release the update???

Chris

Beans

I think we are to assume that these are adequate replacements for Breezy.

http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=86

-Robert

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast