Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Including eps in LaTeX file

Beans
    Hidden!

Question Including eps in LaTeX file revisited

Hello. I thought I'd continue in the same thread with a related question on including eps figures in LaTex.

I've recently moved from Windows MikTeX to TeXlive and I am using code that used to work there:

\usepackage{epsf} %in preamble

\begin{figure} %in body
    \begin{center}
    \epsfxsize=70mm
    \epsfbox{pb.eps}
    \end{center}
    \caption{Caption text}
    \end{figure}

As I "latex document-name.tex" I get the following error:

(pb.eps
    ! Could not open file pb.eps, ignoring it.
    \epsfgetbb ...Could not open file #1, ignoring it}
    \else {\chardef \other = 1...
    l.45 \epsfbox{pb.eps}

The file pb.eps is of course in the same folder as document-name.tex and I can view it perfectly using the viewer.

Any ideas why it cannot be opened?

Thank you in advance. --LJM

Beans

Re: Including eps in LaTeX file

Sorry, can't help with the above, but maybe you should be using the graphics or graphicx packages instead of epsf. (I use \usepackage[dvips]{graphicx} for everything.
    epsf is very old now, and graphicx has many great options. Check out the document l2tabuen.pdf (google for it), which gives lists of "old" packages, and their suggested modern replacements.

By the way, jpeg2ps is great for converting from jpg to .ps also.

Beans
    Hidden!

Problem solved yet puzzled

Thanks for the hints. I had no idea the epsf package was dated. I replaced it with the graphicx one, as you said, and by compiling to dvi it worked alright. Thanks! (By the way, what does "[dvips]" do when you include the package? What if one doesn't add that option?)

There's still something that puzzles me, though. As I make a pdf file from the dvi one using dvipdf at the terminal and then open it with Document Viewer, it will show the picture alright, but it says that the document's format is dvi--but it's not, it's pdf!

What's going on?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Including eps in LaTeX file

Quote Originally Posted by lwr View Post
    Thanks for that. All works well. The graphic seems to be of a lower quliaty in the pdf, but I guess that's something to do with it no longer being a PostScript file. Thanks again for all you help.

Luke
    if you like a printout then print the ps file rather than the pdf. ps might look bad on the screen but good on paper.

to generate diagrams, you can use openoffice draw, inkscape ....both can directly make eps.... matlab can generate eps too...but one word of advise...

always save a copy of matlab plot - mygraph.fig from which you saved as mygraph.eps.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Problem solved yet puzzled

Quote Originally Posted by LJM View Post
    Thanks for the hints. I had no idea the epsf package was dated. I replaced it with the graphicx one, as you said, and by compiling to dvi it worked alright. Thanks! (By the way, what does "[dvips]" do when you include the package? What if one doesn't add that option?)

There's still something that puzzles me, though. As I make a pdf file from the dvi one using dvipdf at the terminal and then open it with Document Viewer, it will show the picture alright, but it says that the document's format is dvi--but it's not, it's pdf!

What's going on?
    good. generally do not include the eps file extension when you call the figure while using graphicx package.

try deleting the dvi before you open the pdf ???
    and may be include the extension while opening the pdf?
    just dumb questions

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12