Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HowTo: Change the Default File Manager in Gnome (to Konqueror or Thunar)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

HowTo: Change the Default File Manager in Gnome (to Konqueror or Thunar)

If you want to change the default file manager from Nautilus to Thunar, you can do it a bit, but it's tricky.

Remember that in Gnome, Nautilus is not just the file manager--it also draws the desktop, and it's also a CD-burning application.

So, thanks to ciscosurfer, the answer is here: changing around some .desktop files in /usr/share/applications

The only problem is when I plug in an external drive, it still pops up in Nautilus. Grrr. Anyone know the answer to that one?

Well, in the meantime, the almost-completely-working script is available here:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DefaultFileManager

If you have problems with the script, improve it on the Wiki. Don't post here.
    Last edited by aysiu; August 22nd, 2009 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Updated link and text

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: HowTo: Change the Default File Manager in Gnome (to Konqueror or Thunar)

Awesome! It's good to be able to do this... I haven't tried it, mainly because I prefer Krusader right now... Can you write a script for Krusader or other file managers?
    Leonivek
    Microsoft can go format themselves.
    Linux FUD: http://linuxFUD.wordpress.com/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Leonivek View Post
    Awesome! It's good to be able to do this... I haven't tried it, mainly because I prefer Krusader right now... Can you write a script for Krusader or other file managers?
    It's not a very popular request, so I probably won't create a script for it, but if you press Alt-F2 and
    Code:
    gksudo nautilus
    you can modify the commands in /usr/share/applications for File Browser, Home Folder, Open Folder, Network Servers, and Computer to the appropriate commands for Krusader.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot.png 
Views:	852 
Size:	143.0 KB 
ID:	19409  

Beans

Thank you aysiu. Sounds great! I've been looking for an easy way to do this for some time now.

Unfortunately the script on your site doesn't work for me. When I run the script to make Thunar the default file manager, this is what I get:

Code:
    Making sure Thunar is installed

Password:
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree... Done
    Reading extended state information
    Initialising package states... Done
    Writing extended state information... Done
    Building tag database... Done

[all my repos]

Fetched 140kB in 3s (44.4kB/s)
    Building dependency tree... Done
    Reading extended state information
    Initialising package states... Done
    Building tag database... Done
    The following packages are unused and will be REMOVED:
      amarok amarok-xine kcontrol kdebase-bin kdebase-data kdesktop kfind
      kicker libakode2 libdbus-qt-1-1c2 libifp4 libkcddb1 libkonq4
      libsamplerate0 python-qt3 python2.4-qt3 python2.4-sip4-qt3
    The following packages have been kept back:
      avahi-daemon info libavahi-client3 libavahi-common-data libavahi-common3
      libavahi-core4 libavahi-glib1 libavahi-qt3-1
    0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 17 to remove and 8 not upgraded.
    Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 84.4MB will be freed.
    Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?]
    Is this normal? The packages it wants to remove are KDE, but strangely enough not all my KDE ones (I also have krusader). Could it be because I installed Amarok not through the repos, but built it from source?

(I use Dapper)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

It could be. Damn aptitude for being so "smart."

Try opening up the script with a text editor and changing the two aptitude references to apt-get--see if that makes a difference.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    Try opening up the script with a text editor and changing the two aptitude references to apt-get--see if that makes a difference.
    Changed it, and it worked like a charm. Thanks a lot!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Great. I might work in something that asks if you already have Thunar/Konqueror installed. That way, you can skip that step if you already have it in.

Beans

I just noticed that if I click on a folder on my Desktop it opens with Nautilus, not Thunar. I don't really mind, as I rarely have folders (or anything, really) on my desktop, but I thought I'd let you know. Might be the same issue as the USB thing? When I go to "Properties > Open With" Thunar is there as an option, but I can't select it.

Otherwise the script worked fine (the shortcuts in the Place Menu, panels, etc. all lead to Thunar).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by urukrama View Post
    I just noticed that if I click on a folder on my Desktop it opens with Nautilus, not Thunar. I don't really mind, as I rarely have folders (or anything, really) on my desktop, but I thought I'd let you know. Might be the same issue as the USB thing? When I go to "Properties > Open With" Thunar is there as an option, but I can't select it.

Otherwise the script worked fine (the shortcuts in the Place Menu, panels, etc. all lead to Thunar).
    I think it's related to the USB thing. If someone can figure that out, please let me know...

Beans

I don't know if this could be it, but in my "/usr/share/applications" I have two entries for everything that involves the file manager (Computer, File Browser, Home, etc.), except for File Management . Under Properties > Launcher some of them have Thunar for both entries, but Computer and Home have one entry with Thunar, the other with Nautilus. File Management has only Nautilus. I know Nautilus does more than just show some files and hence this might be irrelevant, but could it be related to this issue?

I have attached a screenshot with all (?) the relevant entries.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	File Management.jpg 
Views:	440 
Size:	216.7 KB 
ID:	19468  

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast