Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ParolaPass: The Password Generator - Multiple Length, Strength and Type Options!

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: ParolaPass: The Password Generator - Multiple Length, Strength and Type Options!

Quote Originally Posted by stalefries View Post
    Maybe you should do some ParolaPass and Keyring Manager integration.
    If you have any specific ideas, please list them.

Right now, the only integration that I can think of would be to open up KeyRing Manager and that type of integration is not very appealing. Think about it: all you need to do is open KeyRing Manager yourself and copy/paste the password. It is not that difficult. Further integration is not possible because ParolaPass cannot guess what you are going to use that password for. You have to make that choice yourself and you can easily do that in Keyring Manager.
    STOP!
    Before you sign up to Dropbox, click here to read my post showing you how to get an additional 500mb free! That's 2.5GB of free space!

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: ParolaPass: The Password Generator - Multiple Length, Strength and Type Options!

Quote Originally Posted by sonny View Post
    This is a great app... you can include an option for "forced" letters, for example if I want the password to include my nickname and my birthday and the password to be 20 characters long, it'll generate something like: ?"040983_[sonny]_?yh that way the password would be more easy to remember.
    Is this what you would like it to do: 1) enter a string such as "sonny" 2) select length such as 15 and 3) select numbers only. Output looking like this (assuming only 1 password is printed):
    Code:
    4569sonny593234
    Is this correct? If so, then is this feature really needed? It would 1) require time to implement and 2) confuse users with options that are not really needed.

The reason for this is that you can have the exact same result if you do the following: take your string, sonny, and count the characters: 5. Take your length (15) and subtract 5 then use that as your string length (10). You will receive this password:
    Code:
    Now just split it anywhere you want and automatically add your string (sonny). Done.

It only takes two very small extra steps to accomplish taking about 5-10 seconds. The two steps: 15 - 5 = 10 and combining "sonny" with the output.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you still think such a feature should be included? Maybe you were thinking of different?
    Last edited by AgenT; November 21st, 2006 at 11:47 PM.
    STOP!
    Before you sign up to Dropbox, click here to read my post showing you how to get an additional 500mb free! That's 2.5GB of free space!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Hi, this program is really great! I like it, since I need to "create" passes all the time (I've created a javascript, which generates passes, but it's not the same - your program is better ).
    Anyway, the program is very nice - simple yet handy. Now, I have a feature request, which should be easy to implement. Sometimes, I have to create simple-to-speak passwords. By "simple-to-speak" I mean passes, that are easy to pronounce - "bicefobu", "ladawino", "koritami" and such (the idea is simple - first character is consonant, second is a vowel, third is again consonant, 4th is again vowel etc. - you get the point). All the characters should be either lower-case or upper-case (otherwise they would be hard to remember). So, can you add such functionality?
    It should be simple to implement and you have to add 1 chiose to the parol strength control.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Jefim View Post
    Hi, this program is really great! I like it, since I need to "create" passes all the time (I've created a javascript, which generates passes, but it's not the same - your program is better ).
    Anyway, the program is very nice - simple yet handy. Now, I have a feature request, which should be easy to implement. Sometimes, I have to create simple-to-speak passwords. By "simple-to-speak" I mean passes, that are easy to pronounce - "bicefobu", "ladawino", "koritami" and such (the idea is simple - first character is consonant, second is a vowel, third is again consonant, 4th is again vowel etc. - you get the point). All the characters should be either lower-case or upper-case (otherwise they would be hard to remember). So, can you add such functionality?
    It should be simple to implement and you have to add 1 chiose to the parol strength control.
    This is already an option in ParolaPass. Strengths "Very Weak" and "Weak" both produce pronounceable passwords. Thank you for pointing this out as it shows that users are not aware of this feature. I will try to make it easier to understand in the program.

And just so you know, the consonant/vowel alterations are very English and Romantic language centric. In other languages, such strings are not easy to pronounce and consonant/consonant/vowel or some other combinations is easier for them.

Thank you for your feedback.
    STOP!

Beans

Here's another feature request: Would you consider making a command line interface to the program that's suitable for use in scripts? I'm thinking of a situation in which I want to present users (eg, a website) with a list of passwords from which they must choose one, in order to prevent weak passwords. Obviously, firing up a GUI won't cut it for such a purpose.

My idea is that it could take the parameters --strength --length --count and write the generated passwords to stdout, one per line.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by mssever View Post
    Here's another feature request: Would you consider making a command line interface to the program that's suitable for use in scripts? I'm thinking of a situation in which I want to present users (eg, a website) with a list of passwords from which they must choose one, in order to prevent weak passwords. Obviously, firing up a GUI won't cut it for such a purpose.

My idea is that it could take the parameters --strength --length --count and write the generated passwords to stdout, one per line.
    There are a lot of command line programs already available. Two off the top of my head are: pwgen and apg. ParolaPass actually uses apg for password generation because it is very powerful and has some very sophisticated algorithms (why reinvent the wheel?).
    STOP!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by AgenT View Post
    There are a lot of command line programs already available. Two off the top of my head are: pwgen and apg. ParolaPass actually uses apg for password generation because it is very powerful and has some very sophisticated algorithms (why reinvent the wheel?).
    Thanks. I didn't know about those problems (didn't look, really).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by AgenT View Post
    This is already an option in ParolaPass. Strengths "Very Weak" and "Weak" both produce pronounceable passwords. Thank you for pointing this out as it shows that users are not aware of this feature. I will try to make it easier to understand in the program.

And just so you know, the consonant/vowel alterations are very English and Romantic language centric. In other languages, such strings are not easy to pronounce and consonant/consonant/vowel or some other combinations is easier for them.

Thank you for your feedback.
    Hmmm... OK, now I understand that. I suppose, that I'll use these functions then (this vowel/consonant scheme was just a tradition of mine ). But really, you should write short reviews of options available in your app.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Hmmm. I have downloaded the application but can't seem to find it to install? I am running the feisty fawn. I had the same issue with apg. (Which I apt-getted) Any suggestions?

WHOOP! Never mind ! I found it... my bad!

Beans

Two questions:
    Does this work on Gutsy?
    ...with 64-bit?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast