Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Orange Broadband - good UK provider?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Orange Broadband - good UK provider?

Hi. Fishing around for a new ISP to break free from tiscali.

http://www.orange.co.uk/time/broadbandunlimited/

Stuff:
    * BitTorrent doesn't appear to be limited (checked azureus wiki and googled quickly)
    * Couldn't find much critisism on google

Now, they use an ethernet modem, so my question is this: will it work out of the box in ubuntu? (and hopefully other linux distros)

I don't want to continue using ueagle-atm-style stuff (I want to try out other distros too and they don't have them! And other OSes..)

Thoughts?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Re: Orange Broadband - good UK provider?

I don't use this myself but had to set it up for my mum back at home. To set up the box requires an application which is provided with it. Whether the application works well under linux, or wine in linux I do not know.

They have never had any issues with it since they have been connected. but you may want to ask a service rep before purchase
    Honest, I'll get back to work after this post!
    gokugone.com

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy

I'm assuming it'll support it by default since it's ethernet which is a standard. I've never heard of an ethernet modem that doesn't work with linux.

Beans
    Hidden!

i havent heard mich about Orange Broadband, but what i have heard is that they have rubbish service, in such that they have downtime with no explanations and support on the phone.

but don't hold me to this...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I work for Orange Broadband customer support. Don't do it. Just don't. Or if you do, the moment a problem starts to appear, just get out of there.

Best I can say is the modem is quite easy to setup, PM me if you do get it and I'll take you thru it step by step.

Maybe because I'm on Customer Support and hear nothing but the bad stuff all day do I get scared of people using it, but still, there's a lot of crap in it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Yikes. Would you reccomend a provider? Things I need:

- no capped bandwidth <-- highly important
    - plug'n'play linux support <-- also highly important
    - no capped torrents <-- ... also highly important

... so basically everything was highly important

Beans
    Hidden!

As far as your request for a linux supported modem, you should probably go for a modem-router. Plug it into the wall and your away, then its just a case of connecting via an ethernet cable.

I can't really reccommend any Broadband providers, I'm with BT atm and they don't cap torrents, but i'm on their top package and have a 40GB usage limit (which I exceeded and was threatened with a charge of £1 per 1GB if I do it again).

I've heard some good stuff about Virgin.net though...check out some reviews on www.ciao.co.uk

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Virgin requires me to pay £70 for their ethernet pack which I'm really not doing.

Beans

i have being with orange from day 1 (about 8 years) it was freeserve in them days then wanadoo now orange must be honest I have always used a router but have never had any problems with the service the reason I have stuck with them is I have a orange mobile phone with 550 free minutes for 35 quids a month plus free broadband unlimited free broadband

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ehird View Post
    Virgin requires me to pay £70 for their ethernet pack which I'm really not doing.
    one of the good things about virgin you can cancel anytime the only hold you to monthly contracts

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast