Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Alpha Centauri crashes?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Alpha Centauri crashes?

Quote Originally Posted by handy View Post
    after editing out the script which stops it, posted above, I can move further through & get stopped at the following line:

# Run the patch program
    loki_patch patch.dat $installed

With this error:

update.sh: line 139: loki_patch: command not found

I don't believe that the patch.dat file is corrupt, it does not want to update my install, it considers itself unsuitable for whatever reason that I can't quite see?

I'll get around to trying the Alien Crossfire game, though I'd astounded if it isn't crash prone too.
    I could not get that patch to work. You need to get the 6.0b patch. Either Google smac 6.0b or PM me with your email and I'll send it to you.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Stormspireiv View Post
    I could not get that patch to work. You need to get the 6.0b patch. Either Google smac 6.0b or PM me with your email and I'll send it to you.
    Thanks for your reply Stormspireiv, I will try & track down the patch you recommend, if I fail I'll message you.

Thanks for your help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

This is a problem with WINE it is logged on their sight and it says that as soon as you click on a base or wait about 10 minutes the game will crash. so hopefully next release of WINE we will see an improvement (dont hold your breath)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I added the required three lines to my Xorg.conf file, and everything worked fine for a while.

However, several days later (I don't think it was the very next reboot, actually, but I don't know), my session would not start correctly anymore: The desktop didn't load; I was stuck in a blank screen on login. By running xfix, I restored the original X conf, which made it work again.

Since then, I've no longer been able to use the Options Composite Disable trick, as it breaks X for me...

Beans

Try Xephyr.
    Last edited by rettichschnidi; September 11th, 2009 at 01:32 AM. Reason: it supports fullscreen

Beans
    Hidden!

I have the game running fine in Mint 8, but it doesn't run full screen, it's "squeezed" into a 1024 x 768 "window" in the middle of the screen. Anybody know why?

I'm not sure why people say this game doesn't work in Windows, it worked for me in XP, Vista, and now 7, no problems at all. Ever hear of compatibility mode?

Beans

this HOWTO work fine to me.

Install Loki´s Alpha Centauri Planetary Pack and patch it by Loki upgrade. Upgrade was traying to install smac-6.0b-x86.run but it fails so I dont know if upgrade was successful or not.

To run Loki´s Alpha Centauri on Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic add these lines to /etc/X11/xorg.conf and save it.
    (logged as root)
    1. open terminal
    2. mates@mates-laptop:~$ sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    3. add these lines

Section "Extensions"
    Option "Composite" "Disable"
    EndSection

4. save
    These lines will disable Compiz Fusion and other visual effects.

5. Now you must restart Xserver by pressing CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE. (this function must be enabled in “System”->”Preferences”->”Keyboard”
    Select the “Layouts” tab and click on the “Layout Options” button.
    Select “Key sequence to kill the X server” and enable “Control + Alt + Backspace”.)
    works with left ALT and left CTRL

After quit Alpha Centauri delete these lines or set "Enable" in added line in xorg.conf and restart X server to run Compiz again.

This work fine for me. Game run fullscreen.
    Sorry for my english, it´s not my born language.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Stormspireiv View Post
    I think this patch is for 64-bit version, I found this today. That's why it cannot find loki_patch, because it cannot really execute 64-bit binary on 32-bit system. You need to look for 6.0b patch.
    I found one here:
    http://filebox.vt.edu/users/bhilburn...c-6.0b-x86.run

Mirrored here:
    http://sites.google.com/site/superpi...c-6.0b-x86.run

Beans

Try this one, it will (should) install and update the game without any trouble:
    http://liflg.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=949&start=0

I also created a script which will use xephyr, but I have not yet included it. With this one you'll be able to play the game without to fiddling around with xorg.conf.

If you are interested, please tell me and I'll leave a message in this thread when it is released.
    Commercial games for Linux: Fun4Tux.ch
    LIFLG: LIFLG.org
    Holarse-Linuxgaming: holarse-linuxgaming.de

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Lightbulb Re: Alpha Centauri crashes?

Old thread, but bumping to post this here in case this is helpful to anyone.

How I Got Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri Working on Linux

Note: This is for the Loki games Linux version, not the Windows version/GoG.com version. The Windows version installs and runs in Wine but there are sound glitches and frequent crashes.

1.) Follow steps 1 through 5 on this guide. You may have to run sudo to install.

2.) Install Xephyr-- it's in the repositories.

Now we're ready to play:

3.) Run this in the terminal to open a Xephyr screen:
    Code:
    Xephyr :1 -screen 800x600 -extension Composite
    Note that you can change the screen resolution, or run fullscreen if you like.

4.) Run this in another terminal window to start the game:
    Code:
    DISPLAY=:1 smacpack
    ...aaaand that's it. I did all of the above steps last night and the game runs flawlessly for me on Kubuntu 10.04.

Presumably there is a way to make a script/shortcut that will run the terminal commands in step 3 & 4 for you all in one go, so you don't have to do them every time you want to start the game, but I'm a big newbie to that sort of thing, so someone smarter than I will have to step in and tell us how to do that.
    Proud Kubuntu user since 6.06 "Dapper" | The Linux Conundrum | Linux User #440899
    "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master." - Commissioner Pravin Lal, SMAC

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast