Thread: Trick: Xbox 360 Media

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Trick: Xbox 360 Media

This is more of a trick than anything. The problem is how to use Xbox 360's media functions that only work with Windows Media Center. I have a media server for all my music and movies so using VMware server I put in a windows media center machine inside a VM and connected it to the samba share I created for all the media. I've also done this for a friend of mine who runs a 256mb ram VM in VMware player to get his Xbox 360 to play with the media.
    -Chayak

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Trick: Xbox 360 Media

Alternatively you could try the X360 Media Serve sourceforge project.
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/x360mediaserve/

Works great although you'll need to change the permissions of all the scripts and slightly alter a couple of them (change $var to "$var") to get it working 100%.

Also, the recent update unfortunately broke video streaming, so atm that's not working.

That said once you spend 2 minutes making the above changes (which are mentioned on the SF forum) everything else works a treat. You can even relay streaming radio (ala Radio Paradise) to the 360, which is nice.

cheers

EDIT: Alternatively you could try uShare / Fuppes, both of which I've been reading up on since I posted above. Both seem like a better solution, especially so if you've applied the Dec07 software update to you 360. I haven't tried them as yet myself though.
    Last edited by EnsignR; January 6th, 2008 at 06:51 AM. Reason: better solution

Beans

Re: Trick: Xbox 360 Media

I burned a CD to my 360. Shortly there after I broke the CD. I now want to import this CD to my Itunes collection. Is there any way to transfer audio files from the console to another source?