Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Simple Desktop Linux?

Beans

Re: Simple Desktop Linux?

Quote Originally Posted by hizaguchi View Post
    I've tried about 4 bazillion distros in the last year or so, and I'm still lacking for a really good, simple, stable desktop OS. Ubuntu and Arch have been the best so far, but Ubuntu is really unstable on my laptop (weird lockups going on, even after a fresh install) and Arch is just alot of work and a little too bleeding edge where I'd prefer more stability. What I'd really like to find is a good distro where most things are sensibly configured out of the box, that isn't completely out of date, and that doesn't have a ton of extra stuff going on that most people don't use. I don't care what the desktop environment is, or anything like that. I don't mind to use the command line to change settings. I just want a fast, simple, stable, easy to setup, use, and maintain desktop OS. Any ideas?
    aquamorph is also very nice.

rattlerviper Guest

PCLinuxOs...simple, fast, and a simple tool to complete the job with the least fuss.

Beans

The best I can think of from experience would be zenwalk 3.0 and maybe in the future Vector linux. Zenwalk I like as you can simply update your system to a brand new one, change kernels, , many other things without having to reinstall everytime a new iso comes in. When Zenwalk 3.2 cosmic comes out, I would have upgraded to it already.

It is slack-based and very fast. Arch maybe slightly faster if noticeable, but way too much configuration required to get that going. I tried arch and got a base install with nothing else on there. It is perhaps my lack of knowledge. The documentation seemed very well stated though.

So I would recommend Zenwalk, vector, mepis, kanotix / knoppix {these give you Debian}, dreamlinux, xubuntu, etc.
    My favorite distros: Mint / Manjaro / Archbang
    Registered Linux user number 478398
    Other Notables: Ubuntu, Pinguy OS, Semplice,

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I've tried about 4 bazillion distros in the last year or so, and I'm still lacking for a really good, simple, stable desktop OS. Ubuntu and Arch have been the best so far, but Ubuntu is really unstable on my laptop (weird lockups going on, even after a fresh install) and Arch is just alot of work and a little too bleeding edge where I'd prefer more stability. What I'd really like to find is a good distro where most things are sensibly configured out of the box, that isn't completely out of date, and that doesn't have a ton of extra stuff going on that most people don't use. I don't care what the desktop environment is, or anything like that. I don't mind to use the command line to change settings. I just want a fast, simple, stable, easy to setup, use, and maintain desktop OS. Any ideas?
    I'd give KateOS a try as well. It was initially based on Slackware, but is now a completely indeoendent distro. It comes with most codecs and sensible configurations out of the box. The package manager supports dependency checking and the desktop is the beta xfce 4.4. Current version is 3.1 that comes on two cd's. The dvd edition has KDE and Gnome as options as well.
    XFCE, From Now On!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

I've got to recommend Slackware. It's as simple and elegant a linux distribution that you will find. There is some configuration to do, but not that much and it will give you the stability you seek with very recent software. I've been bouncing around mainly between Slack, Arch, Kubuntu, and Debian sid. I'm definitely sticking with slack.

Beans

Is there a good website that compares all the different Linux distributions? I'm fairly new to Linux and went with Ubuntu because it was recommended highly at one website but I'd be interested in checking out other OS's to get the best for my machine and needs.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Matt View Post
    Is there a good website that compares all the different Linux distributions? I'm fairly new to Linux and went with Ubuntu because it was recommended highly at one website but I'd be interested in checking out other OS's to get the best for my machine and needs.
    other then here?

Beans

I use distrowatch to keep up with new linux distro's-> http://distrowatch.com/

You can click on the linux and scroll down to the reviews and see all the reviews for that linux. example: clicking on pclinux_> http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=pclinuxos

Beans
    Hidden!

This one is a very nice initiative, it's still being improved upon (anyone can contribute by the way) but all the info that's already there really gives you an idea of similarities and differences between distros.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123