Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HOW TO: Install cisco vpn client

Re: HOW TO: Install cisco vpn client

@dragonbite - you can answer yes for default on all questions until when it asks for your kernel source.
    type uname -r in the terminal. now check synaptic package manager by searching: the version (ex. if you got "2.6.17-10-generic" from the last commande then type in "2.6.17-10 headers"). Make sure the correct headers are installed (on edgy they should be there if you installed fresh). If they are installed yay! now you gotta find them, click on the correct one, it usually has a path for the spot it would install if it wasnt installed. probably /usr/lib/.... or /lib/modules/... mine happened to be /lib/modules/2.6.17-10-generic/build.
    now the cisco installed default may or may not be the correct path, you just need to make sure that you can find: "/path to your kernel version/kernel version/build" that will most likely be the correct source headers to install.
    hope that helps. i installed cisco on my laptop and it was a pain, and now that i upgraded it no longer works, so ive decided to try vpnc instead from what ive heard.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Okay...I've installed the Cisco client, and it seemed to install okay, but I cannot seem to connect to the VPN. This is the output I get:

Code:
    Cisco Systems VPN Client Version 4.8.00 (0490)
    Copyright (C) 1998-2005 Cisco Systems, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
    Client Type(s): Linux
    Running on: Linux 2.6.17-10-386 #2 Tue Dec 5 22:26:18 UTC 2006 i686
    Config file directory: /etc/opt/cisco-vpnclient

Initializing the VPN connection.
    Contacting the gateway at xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    User Authentication for XXXXXXXXX...

Enter Username and Password.

Username []: XXXXXXXX
    Password []: 
    Authenticating user.
    Negotiating security policies.
    Securing communication channel.
    Secure VPN Connection terminated by Peer.
    Reason: (Reason Not Specified by Peer)
    There are no new notification messages at this time.
    What could the problem be? I can connect to this VPN in Windows no problem, and copied the .pcf file directly from the Windows client. The settings are all the same as in the Windows client, but that particular error message (Reason Not Specified by Peer) isn't helping!

Thanks,

Flatline

hmm, well, i assume it has to do with the pcf configured for windows settings that when registering with the vpn services they do not match and would reject you, but before i say thats what happened, im going to experiment on my dual boot laptop on my schools wireless network, so give me a day or two and ill tell you what ive figured out.

well, after quite a bit of testing and even using vpnc and kvpnc (which isnt really much different) with the same settings and even tweaking the settings... I've got nothing anyone else have any ideas, im still going to try as many things as i can, but help would be most appreciated )
    Last edited by platinummonkey; February 8th, 2007 at 12:49 AM. Reason: typo's

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I actually think I may have figured it out. I think they have their Cisco server set up so I cannot connect from a non-windows client. I found a post elsewhere that mentioned something about the server detecting the type of firewall you are running, and the non-windows clients (vpnc included) cannot emulate it. That kinda sucks too because the VPN is now the ONLY reason I have to not erase my Windows XP partition.

Thanks for the help though!!!

Flatline

It was the VPN server configuration that was the problem. The VPN admin finally configured the VPN to allow non windows clients. I can now successfully connect to my job's VPN via Linux. It only took 2 years of badgering for them to do it. Within 24 hours I deleted the last Windows partition on my systems. My house is officially windows free!! Good riddance! Life is good.
    http://tllts.org - The Linux Link Tech Show
    http://mythtvcast.com - The MythTVCast

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Anyone using the 64 bit kernel needs to patch the Cisco software so it can compile, here is a link on how to do this:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...13&postcount=2
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

HH (and all distros with kernel => 2.6.24) net to patch the CiscoVPN source prior to compiling the modules. This worked for me:
    http://www.lamnk.com/blog/vpn/with-k...co-vpn-client/
    http://tllts.org - The Linux Link Tech Show
    http://mythtvcast.com - The MythTVCast

Beans

Smile Re: HOW TO: Install cisco vpn client

Thank you for this thread!

I see there are many votes for vpnc, and to be honest, if it's easier then I rather do that, as the instruction for the Cisco VPN seems rather daunting.

But, the big question, would we be able to connect with vpnc to a Cisco VPN using a PCF certificate?

Guess I'll just try and see =D

Beans

Hi all,

I am totally new to the linux world and chose ubuntu 11.04 for the work, installed it on pendrive to try instead of complete install, so that i donot loose my work. now i need a VPN Client installation, and even after going thru all this, am still not able to get it to work.

Any help would be much appreciated. or if am totally messed up by trying it from pendrive,i can clean install it on an alternative HDD for trial.

. PLEASE HELP.

Thanks.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast