View Poll Results: Should binary NVidia/ATI drivers be automatically installed&activated in Ubuntu?

Voters
2132. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes (while informing the user of the relevant issues, etc.)

665 31.19%
  • No (such drivers can stay in a non-free repo, just like now)

328 15.38%
  • Users should be given a choice about this during installation

1,139 53.42%
Page 1 of 85 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Poll: Binary NVidia/ATI Drivers in Ubuntu?

Beans
    Hidden!

Arrow Poll: Binary NVidia/ATI Drivers in Ubuntu?

Currently is says "Pending Approval" but it will change soon.

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Re: Binary video drivers to ship by default in Feisty

Well if all of these specs get done Feisty should be quite impressive indeed!

The binary driver information spec should warn users that the drivers they want to use are non-free, so hopefully licensing/freedom issues won't be a problem.

I'm really looking forward to the improved wireless support in Feisty too...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Yea you have to warn people about not just lieciencing but about securty implications and the resposibility for these drivers are not with anyone in the community so we can't help you should the drivers go wrong.

Although perhaps that will change in the future and parts will be open sourced.
    42 is not an anwser, it's an error code. the universe is saying 'Error 42: meaning to universe not found'
    Programmer, Teacher and Artist

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06

ubuntu = windows
    ubuntu community = windows community + macintosh-like arrogance

Most people will either not care that there's some more closed source code, or will be happy. What I dislike about Canonical is that in their effort to mimic they're repeating Microsoft/windows mistakes. And neglect traditional strenghts of linux.

Wait -- did I say 'not care' ? Obviosly, I meant 'won't even know, and wouldn't know the difference anyway'. It's a long way from simply not caring.
    Last edited by B0rsuk; November 9th, 2006 at 12:01 PM.

Beans

Hm.. I quite like the step they're taking.
    simplicity is perfection

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Quote Originally Posted by B0rsuk View Post
    ubuntu = windows

Most people will either not care that there's some more closed source code, or will be happy. What I dislike about Canonical is that in their effort to mimic they're repeating Microsoft/windows mistakes. And neglect traditional strenghts of linux.

Wait -- did I say 'not care' ? Obviosly, I meant 'won't even know, and wouldn't know the difference anyway'. It's a long way from simply not caring.
    Those are hit and run statements. Please explain a little more about how and why you believe these things. (Otherwise they are attacks and do nothing to educate about your position)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I want everything free now. Keep Microsofts hands off of my linux baby.

Beans

I think that closed software should be VERY EASY to install (= a package in G-A-I), BUT when people try to install such packages, they should be shown a dialog, BEFORE the installation:

• explaining that Ubuntu fosters open software/standards
    • encouraging the user to try available alternatives
    • listing the main alternatives
    • explaining what is the danger with the closed/binary software/format/codec they are trying to install.

If the user cliks "Proceed anyway" he/she should simply have the desired software installed and ready. It is his/her decision. What is important is that people make INFORMED decisions.

In such view, installing binary drivers by default is a BAD decision. Making it difficult to install arguable software is also a bad decision.
    Last edited by ago; November 9th, 2006 at 01:11 PM.

Beans

ubuntu = windows

Well, did you actually red the two related spec :
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/AcceleratedX
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BinaryDriverEducation
    I think it's rather a good compromise, no?
    WARNING : Post with explicit contents
    Join to "STOP monolithic all-in-one unmanageable application"
    The wiki is your friend https://help.ubuntu.com/community/

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

ubuntu = windows

Curse Canonical for trying to give the users what they want! Those bastards want our hardware to work properly out of the box! HOW COULD THEY?!

What is a traditional strength of Linux that is being neglected? Not having a nice looking GUI?
    Since I get asked alot, I am originally from Ukraine but am Russian by nationality. My nick means specter in Russian.

Page 1 of 85 1231151 ... LastLast