Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: STOP breaking x-server with updates

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

STOP breaking x-server with updates

OK a little rant here. Installed the most recent updates this morning and upon the required reboot x server was broken again. I must really like Ubuntu because this has happened MANY times now. If this keeps happening it will eventually turn people off and they will just go back to windows or another distro. Can't this be checked first? The only positive about this is that it has happened to me so many times that I can fix it! Six months ago I would have just poured a cup of coffee on my machine and said the heck with all of this! HA HA. But seriously, if the Ubuntu team wants people to use this OS for their business and personal use as a primary OS please check these updates more carefully. I would rather not have to reconfigure x server every few weeks. Other than this problem Ubuntu is GREAT, works like a charm!
    I think I am going to just turn off updates if possible.
    Tucatts
    using Dapper by the way

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: STOP breaking x-server with updates

It's intended to be fixed by Feisty in April:
    https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubu...bullet-proof-x

And since it is a rant (and not a support request), I'm moving your thread to the Cafe.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

AH thanks, was not sure where to put this. Don't have to rant much ha ha and will use cafe from now on.
    Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

My Edgy update this morning states there are 6 updates available total 30MB download. But the list only shows 3 items totaling less than 1MB. Somethings not right here. I believe I will pass on this for now.

linux-headers-generic
    linux-image-generic
    language-pack-gnome-en

are the 3 showing.

Beans
    Distro

hmmm....i update very frequently and i don't get x crashes.......

what's your system specs ??

i have

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ (in 32 bit mode)
    Nvidia 6600GT PCIE
    1 gig RAM
    ubuntu edgy eft
    gnome
    beryl svn (irrelevant, i know )
    if u find some of my ideas weird...look at my avatar for the reason
    http://delfick.storage.googlepages.c...ycfuserbar.png

Beans

Im glad the mods took my advice when I told them to tell people of this, this morning. It broke mine in half then flushed it down the toilet. Long story short, Im installing gentoo now, its been going for about 3 or 4 hours and about 1/10th of the way done.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=357551
    Imagination is more important than knowledge

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

P4 2.5
    1.75 gig ram
    Gforce 5500 nvidia

Only real problem I have with Ubuntu.Looks like Fiesty in April may fix this. Have tried Edgy and liked that fine, just have Dapper on my primary machine but will replace with Fiesty I am sure.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I only had X get broken once, a few months back - just happened to be a couple of days after my parents finally decided to try Ubuntu...! That was fun, explaining over the phone to my dad what he had to do - which he had to write down, then hang up because they are still on dialup! Fortunately it worked.

This time, I'm glad I'm lazy. Hadn't hit the update icon in a few days, then saw the threads about all the problems. This morning (a few minutes ago, in fact) I finally ran Synaptic and did a Refresh, then checked the updates and everything went well. This was on two systems - one 6.06 one 6.10. Both use nVidia, but I just use the binary driver in the repo.

It does worry me to see this sort of major show-stopper appear, just wondering if there is even a "test farm" where devs try out releases before going live or it's just seat of the pants...! (Yeah, I know, kind of hard to have a test farm for a widely distributed group!) For me personally, it's just a PITA - I've been around Linux too long for anything to really shut me down, but imagining what newcomers must go through...!

Beans
    Distro

hmmm, maybe we need a quality assurance team

(though not one has thorough as the MTA:SA one.....so long before releases (though it's worth the lack of bugs in the end )
    (http://www.mtasa.com/.... hmm, that site's changed a lot since i was last there )
    if u find some of my ideas weird...look at my avatar for the reason
    http://delfick.storage.googlepages.c...ycfuserbar.png

Beans

Bulletproof probably will not make it into Feisty due to the delay of the new Xorg.
    Furthermore it's logically you will need to re-install the driver if you do a kernel upgrade.
    This is not a bug.

Tip: Always leave a Nvidia driver installer in your /home so you can easily fix it with
    Code:
    sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-xxxx-pkg1.run
    If you do not remember the full name use tab for auto completion.

sudo sh NV<tab>
    "I'd rather be hated for what I am, than loved for what I'm not."

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast