Thread: HOWTO: Nvidia 9742 beta drivers in Edgy/Feisty

Threaded View

Beans

HOWTO: Nvidia 9742 beta drivers in Edgy/Feisty

UPDATE - Ok consider this guide "working"... its worked for someone other than me

Nvidia's 9742 drivers are BETA... Do NOT use on Production Machines

Starting with 1.0-9742, all NV2x & older (NV1x & NVx) GPUs will only be supported in the legacy driver branches (1.0-7184 & 1.0-9629).
    I.e. if you have one they won't work here.

Do not attempt this guide unless you feel competent reinstalling your previous drivers from the cli and recovering from any breakage which may or may not occur.

These instructions worked for me, they may for you, they may not. After all these warnings its not my fault if you get hosed

Hey there, something's changed with the latest Nvidia 97** drivers to do with dash and bash and things so that they won't install "normally"... I won't bore you

I recommend you already have the latest drivers installed via method 2 from http://doc.gwos.org/index.php/Latest_Nvidia_Edgy
    If you don't... run
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-`uname -r` build-essential gcc xserver-xorg-dev pkg-config
    NOW!!!
    &
    Code:
    sudo nvidia-xconfig
    at the end.

If you want to install the latest drivers, then head here for i386 or here for 64bit. (the instructions below will be for i386... pretty simple to figure out how to alter a line or two for 64bit )

download to home.

Code:
    sh ~/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-9742-pkg1.run --extract-only
    cd NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-9742-pkg1/usr/src/nv
    gedit conftest.sh
    Search for the line
    if [ "$RET" == "0" ]; then
    and replace with
    if [ "$RET" = "0" ]; then
    Save and quit.

Write down the rest of these instructions, as you will have to shutdown the X server and type them in the cli

Ctrl+Alt+F1 and log in
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
    cd ~/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-9742-pkg1
    For i386:
    Code:
    sudo ./nvidia-installer -n -s --x-prefix=/usr/lib/xorg/ --kernel-source-path=/usr/src/linux-headers-`uname -r`
    For 64bit:
    Code:
    sudo ./nvidia-installer -n -s --x-prefix=/usr/lib64/xorg/ --kernel-source-path=/usr/src/linux-headers-`uname -r`

This "should" install the drivers... it takes a minute or two.

If it complains that the nvidia module is already loaded, restart your computer. Don't log in, but Ctrl+Alt+F1 immediately when you see the log in screen and try again.
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart
    And you should be in business.

Oh I also recommend a quick restart once you know it works

Feedback appreciated

Pieces picked from http://doc.gwos.org/index.php/Latest_Nvidia_Dapper & http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...t=79831&page=2
    Last edited by PriceChild; November 12th, 2006 at 07:02 PM. Reason: added dev package
    Every time you install Jaunty, a kitten........ wait sorry what year is this again?
    Please don't PM support questions, post a thread so that everyone can benefit
    Join us in #ubuntuforums on irc.freenode.net