Thread: HOWTO: Use Jabber to talk with AIM, MSN, Yahoo, etc

Beans

Post HOWTO: Use Jabber to talk with AIM, MSN, Yahoo, etc

Taken from Thad Hopkins' apologetics site.

This guide will present a process using Psi Jabber, Gaim, an AIM account, and a gTalk account, with the user running Ubuntu. However, any Jabber account and client will work, and the process will also work for Yahoo! and MSN protocols. Psi Jabber is required, however, to get things going. After that, Psi Jabber can be removed.

Grab the tools

Required for this tutorial, Psi Jabber is an open source and cross-platform Jabber client. The qca-tls package is required for Psi Jabber to work with gTalk. To install these on Ubuntu, first check your repositories to make sure "Universe" is enabled. Then:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install psi
    sudo apt-get install qca-tls
    To install Gaim 2.0.0 Beta 3, download the file.

Right click > Open with "GDebi Package Installer"

Setup Psi Jabber for gTalk

1. Open Psi Jabber, and add a new account. Name the account whatever you'd like (this will be your gTalk account).
    2. For your Jabber ID, enter your entire e-mail address (username@gmail.com).

3. In the Connection tab, check Use SSL encryption (to server), Ignore SSL warnings, Allow Plaintext Login (don't worry, the SSL layer will keep you safe), Send "Keep-alive" packets (for NAT timeouts), and then Manually Specify Server Host/Port:. That's every box on the tab.
    4. Enter "talk.google.com" in the Host: dialog box, and the port should be set to 5223.

5. Connect to gTalk.

Setup the transport

1. Go to Service Discovery and input one of the servers from this site into the Address: box. Make sure the server you're using supports the protocol you'd like to use. This might take a few tries to find a server that works. As of this posting, the server jabber.3gnt.org seems to work just fine.
    2. Click Browse.
    3. Right-click on the protocol you'd like to use, and click Register. If Register isn't available, either wait a moment to see if it shows up, or find another server. Enter the information for whatever account you'd like to use.

4. After registering the account, you'll begin to receive what might be hundreds of notifications on Psi Jabber. These will be all of your buddies on the account you registered asking to be on your buddy list. You'll have to go through every single one and authorize them. When you're all done with that, you can close out Psi Jabber, uninstall it if you'd like (sudo apt-get remove psi), and boot up your favorite Jabber client (I recommend Gaim). After you connect, your buddy list will soon populate with all of the buddies you just authorized.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: HOWTO: Use Jabber to talk with AIM, MSN, Yahoo, etc

Nice How-to

This thread has been added to the UDSF wiki.

Jabber

If you do a major update to your how-to please send me a PM. Either I can teach you how to add to the wiki or I can try to maintain the wiki myself (as time allows), thank you.

Peace be with you,

bodhi.zazen
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

How do I do this on Gaim? Are there transports for Yahoo and M$N in Gaim? Do I need to have a hotmail account to use the M$N transport?
    "Some people says that if you run a Microsoft Midori iso backwards you will hear demon voices commanding you to worship Satan". But that's nothing. If you run it forward it will install Microsoft Midori.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by Ptero-4 View Post
    How do I do this on Gaim? Are there transports for Yahoo and M$N in Gaim? Do I need to have a hotmail account to use the M$N transport?
    For gaim, do it as it says and then fire up gaim with jabber and the users should be there. Yes msn and yahoo are supported in gaim. No you don't need a hotmail account. I use a gmail account with it, but you have to register it somehow with microsoft ( i forget how).
    "Total paranoia is just total awareness." - Charles Manson

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

For those interested...for gaim to work as an MSN live ID. You need to first register here:

https://accountservices.passport.net...vv=450&lc=1033
    Ubuntu user since 06/2006.
    "Don’t Let School get in the way of your Education!"
    -Mark Twain

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Thanks I registered there. Now Do I put my gmail address and LiveID passowrd as M$N in gaim?
    "Some people says that if you run a Microsoft Midori iso backwards you will hear demon voices commanding you to worship Satan". But that's nothing. If you run it forward it will install Microsoft Midori.

Beans

Re:Authorize Buddies?

Thanks for the How 2!

I didn't allow some of my buddies to authorize how can I get them back?

Sab