Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Bonager: The Boot Scan Manager - Control the filesystem scan that happens at bootup!

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Bonager: The Boot Scan Manager - Control the filesystem scan that happens at boot

The source debs are on my computer. I do not post them because 1) if you want the source, just extract the normal deb and 2) this forum has a 5 file limitation per post.

To extract the deb, you do not need a deb based system, apt or even dpkg. A deb file is just a plain ar archive file with a renamed extension. And the the deb file archive, when extracted, will provide all the files that the orig.tar.gz archive has because nothing is compiled.

It takes as much effort to extract an ar archive as it does a tar. You can even use the GNOME fileroller to extract it. ar is available on just about every Linux system because it is part of the GNU utitlites. If you can tar, you can ar (that should be a slogan!).

Another reason for not including the orig.tar.gz, .dsc or source deb files is the forum file upload limit. Only 5 files maximum per post. There are ways of getting around that, but it's a hassle when doing updates.

I do not intend on submitting the current version of Bonager into the official Debian and Ubuntu repositories. My reasons are outlined in a post above.

I also do not intend on creating a wiki for Bonager right now. I would rather spend that time creating other programs and improving Bonager.

If you would like the source deb or orig.tar.gz file, please private message me and I will send them to you.
    Last edited by AgenT; December 29th, 2006 at 03:04 AM.
    STOP!
    Before you sign up to Dropbox, click here to read my post showing you how to get an additional 500mb free! That's 2.5GB of free space!

Beans

Re: Bonager: The Boot Scan Manager - Control the filesystem scan that happens at boot

OK. That's cool. Just people would like it to be in Universe, I think.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by .t. View Post
    OK. That's cool. Just people would like it to be in Universe, I think.
    So would I. However, I do not think Bonager is ready for that. Remember, being in Universe means being stuck to that version for 6 months.

And if someone would like to create a wiki page for Bonager, please go ahead. I can answer any questions that anyone may have.
    Last edited by AgenT; December 29th, 2006 at 03:09 AM.
    STOP!
    Before you sign up to Dropbox, click here to read my post showing you how to get an additional 500mb free! That's 2.5GB of free space!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Is it possible to get this to look after several partitions? I'm sure it is, but at the moment even though I know I have 3 ext3 partitions (and one swap), it just tells me I have 13 mounts until next scan. I'd like to be able to see figures for all partitions! (I see that support for multiple partitions was in 0.3 - but I don't see how I can enable any option to show me information about more than 1 partition at once!).
    Last edited by Lunar_Lamp; December 29th, 2006 at 03:38 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Lunar_Lamp View Post
    Is it possible to get this to look after several partitions? I'm sure it is, but at the moment even though I know I have 3 ext3 partitions (and one swap), it just tells me I have 13 mounts until next scan. I'd like to be able to see figures for all partitions! (I see that support for multiple partitions was in 0.3 - but I don't see how I can enable any option to show me information about more than 1 partition at once!).
    Bonager is smart enough to look at all of your partitions and calculate when the next most recent scan will occur.

To use your example, you have 13 mounts left until your next most recent scan will occur. When you allow Bonager to manage when your next scan occurs, either by forcing your next scan now or by choosing [Yes] or [No] when Bonager warns you of the impending scan, the next scan will reset all of your partitions' mount count. This means that if right now you have 3 partitions, the first having 13 mounts remaining, the second 14 and the third 15, after the next scan all three will reset. Thus after the scan you should see "29 mounts remaining". This is assuming all three partitions are set to a scan every 30 mounts.

As far as forcing Bonager to show you all of your partition statistics: this is not possible. If enough people ask for it I will implement this feature.

Please keep in mind that there are limitations. Thus far, Bonager only support ext2 and ext3 partitions. SWAP partitions never evoke fsck.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.
    STOP!

Beans

Hi AgenT!
    Is it possible to reduce the memory footprint? System Monitor tells me that Bonager consumes 4 MB of memory; that seems a bit much to me for a program that does nothing more than sit in the background and show the mount counts.

By the way, if a check is forced and Bonager resets the mount count for all partitions, will all partitions get checked or only the one with the most mountcounts?

Cheers,
    apalacheno

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by apalacheno View Post
    Hi AgenT!
    Is it possible to reduce the memory footprint? System Monitor tells me that Bonager consumes 4 MB of memory; that seems a bit much to me for a program that does nothing more than sit in the background and show the mount counts.
    I will see what I an do.

Quote Originally Posted by apalacheno View Post
    By the way, if a check is forced and Bonager resets the mount count for all partitions, will all partitions get checked or only the one with the most mountcounts?
    All partitions are scanned.
    STOP!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by AgenT View Post
    Bonager is smart enough to look at all of your partitions and calculate when the next most recent scan will occur.

To use your example, you have 13 mounts left until your next most recent scan will occur. When you allow Bonager to manage when your next scan occurs, either by forcing your next scan now or by choosing [Yes] or [No] when Bonager warns you of the impending scan, the next scan will reset all of your partitions' mount count. This means that if right now you have 3 partitions, the first having 13 mounts remaining, the second 14 and the third 15, after the next scan all three will reset. Thus after the scan you should see "29 mounts remaining". This is assuming all three partitions are set to a scan every 30 mounts.

As far as forcing Bonager to show you all of your partition statistics: this is not possible. If enough people ask for it I will implement this feature.

Please keep in mind that there are limitations. Thus far, Bonager only support ext2 and ext3 partitions. SWAP partitions never evoke fsck.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.
    Sorry, I know that swap partitions don't get fsck'd, didn't mean to give that impression. I'll have a look at the source code and see if I can make a patch myself to do what I want (and then give it to you if I manage it). I'd definitely like to be able to view/control all valid partitions!

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Lunar_Lamp View Post
    Sorry, I know that swap partitions don't get fsck'd, didn't mean to give that impression. I'll have a look at the source code and see if I can make a patch myself to do what I want (and then give it to you if I manage it). I'd definitely like to be able to view/control all valid partitions!
    Warning: the source code is a mess. The next release will have it all re-written. But your patch will be very much appreciated and I will incorporate it into the next release if applicable. So please do not think your work will go to waste if you write a patch: it will not.
    STOP!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by ArsGeek View Post
    Hi,

I've just installed this and I'm already loving it. I'm going to put a post up on my blog (ArsGeek) to let more folks know about it.

Great job!
    I found this app cuz of above post on the blog

- Great app TS
    - Great website ArsGeek
    Hello, all my posts come without warranty

Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast