Thread: A solution that Worked for getting Frostwire to WORK in Edgy

Beans

Lightbulb A solution that Worked for getting Frostwire to WORK in Edgy

I use the Kubuntu Edgy variant of Linux and have tried everything that was proposed here and in the gnutella forums to fix the nagging issue of my new installation of FW freezing at the "starting connection" point and detecting a firewall that wasn't there. Here is what finally worked for me.

I started with this thread: http://www.frostwire.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=666 that suggested dumping the hosts listed on the gnutella.net file with a new list as mentioned in the thread. I tried that but it didn't work along with several other solutions (port forwarding, java selection, etc.). However, the following was suggested to me as a variant of the solution for replaces then sources in the gnutella.net file:

Quote Originally Posted by et voilà
    mykeCXV: then replace your gnutella.net with this one http://mc3.electronicbox.net/gnutella.net
    I did this and IT WORKED. FW is now running with an 'excellent connection' and on false detection of a non-existent firewall.

On Linux -- go to your home folder and check "view hidden files" from the view drop down menu. Open the .frostwire folder. Then DELETE the gnutella.net~ file. This one is a backup file that FW automatically creates. It will put the deleted sources right back in on FW's restart and cause the same connection problem. It did on mine anyway. After deleting this file, open the gnutella.net file with a text editor. Select all and cut or delete out the list. Copy and paste the much much longer list of sources from the link above kindly provided by et voila. Save the file. FW will create a new backup file for just this list. You should, of course, shut down FW prior to all of this and restart it afterward. After pasting in this new and much longer list of sources, my FW started up quickly, connected quickly, and didn't detect a false firewall.

I hope this helps another Linux user!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: A solution that Worked for getting Frostwire to WORK in Edgy

Superb tip! I installed frostwire on edgy and found the ~/.frostwire/gnutella.net file empty. I replaced it with your one and it is working now.

Thanks for the tip.
    The Free Software war is won, all else is now maneuvering
    http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/27361/image/1/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Perfect. Thanks for the tip.

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

worked for me as well, it would seem

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Can somebody post the list of sources that was found in this file? I am having the exact problem described but the link to the sources is down because bandwidth exceeded.

Thanks for any help,

Joe