Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CVS and version control for thesis

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

CVS and version control for thesis

Folks,

I was wondering, has anyone used CVS to aid thesis writing?
    A how to would be welcome. I think its good to have a version control system (locally) for thesis writing. Its difficult to keep track of various changes in a 300 page document written over many years.

I keep adding 'latest' to the end of the filename to indicate the version and its alway the 'latest' everytime i change/add something. This happens because of rush or urgency. After sometime its painful.

Any ideas? Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: CVS and version control for thesis

I wish I had that idea when I was writing my final proyect to get out of University. Dealing with version control is a pain in the ***. I do believe is posible to do it, I have Subversion installed since I read that it was like a more advance CVS. I'll give it a try on the weekend if I have the time. I think I'll try with an open office document and a Lyx document.

Also, Do you know you can write documents online with google docs? it has version control, and you can export to several formats.

Regards,
    Felipe

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I used Subversion when writing my BSc thesis. (Subversion or SVN is sort of an updated/enhanced version of CVS). I did not, however, host the repository on my machine, but on a different server - so as to also be able to access my work from other workstations. You can actually find sites that offer a free svn/cvs repository. Of course it might not be desireable to have your work on a third-party server and in this case keeping the repo on your own machine is a entirely viable option. There's a nice intro to setting up single-user svn on a machine here. You can skip the compilation part, as svn is easily installed via synaptic.

Beans
    Hidden!

Hi. I'm very interested but confused.

I am going to start a college project soon using python. I'd like version control on the python project and on my latex files that I'll edit in kile. I tried following the link you gave, but here's my output from it:
    Code:
    stephen@ubuntu:~/fyp/svn/db$ svn mkdir file:///home/stephen/fyp/svn/report -m 'Create report'

Committed revision 1.
    stephen@ubuntu:~/fyp/svn/db$ svn import /home/stephen/fyp/report/ file:///home/stephen/fyp/svn report/trunk -m 'Initial import of report'
    svn: Too many arguments to import command
    stephen@ubuntu:~/fyp/svn/db$
    Can you tell me how to fix this please? Also, will it be straightforward for me to link kile into the svn repo? I also looked around kdevelop to see if I could link my python project files into the svn. I also downloaded kdesvn, but couldn't find anywhere in it that said create new or anything. If you can give me help it would be much appreciated.

Beans

I think bzr would make an excellent tool for this. It doesn't require a repository or a server. You just run bzr init in the directory and there you go. You can move the directory wherever you want and it doesn't matter. I use it a fair amount for local revision control. It's also developed by Canonical and use extensively by Ubuntu.

-LaserJock
    "That's all very well in practice, but will it ever work in theory?" -- G. Hill
    "A tidy laboratory means a lazy chemist." -- Jöns Jacob Berzelius

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by LaserJock View Post
    I think bzr would make an excellent tool for this. It doesn't require a repository or a server. You just run bzr init in the directory and there you go. You can move the directory wherever you want and it doesn't matter. I use it a fair amount for local revision control. It's also developed by Canonical and use extensively by Ubuntu.

-LaserJock
    Hm, I installed bzr, after also reading about it on the blog of Mark, but after reading the manpages confusion reigns... Can you give some pointers and or tutorials?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Thanks for all the replies. I guess there are several people interested including my friends here in school. Version control is really a pain. and I like the idea of setting up the server at one of the school network so that i can access from anywhere and also will act as a back up. the chances of screwing up my system is far greater than server.

Subversion seems to be good. will try and let you know. thanks...

more ideas and how-to's are welcome...
    Last edited by neoflight; November 8th, 2006 at 05:18 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Steveire View Post
    Hi. I'm very interested but confused.

I am going to start a college project soon using python. I'd like version control on the python project and on my latex files that I'll edit in kile. I tried following the link you gave, but here's my output from it:
    Code:
    stephen@ubuntu:~/fyp/svn/db$ svn mkdir file:///home/stephen/fyp/svn/report -m 'Create report'

Committed revision 1.
    stephen@ubuntu:~/fyp/svn/db$ svn import /home/stephen/fyp/report/ file:///home/stephen/fyp/svn report/trunk -m 'Initial import of report'
    svn: Too many arguments to import command
    stephen@ubuntu:~/fyp/svn/db$
    Can you tell me how to fix this please? Also, will it be straightforward for me to link kile into the svn repo? I also looked around kdevelop to see if I could link my python project files into the svn. I also downloaded kdesvn, but couldn't find anywhere in it that said create new or anything. If you can give me help it would be much appreciated.
    Hi, I'm not really sure what you did there. But here is how I do it:
    1. Create a directory for the repository:
      Code:
      mkdir /home/felipe/svn-repos
    2. Use svnadmin to make the directory I just created a repository:
      Code:
      svnadmin create /home/felipe/svn-repos
    3. Move to the directory where you have the initial files for your proyect and import them:
      Code:
      svn import -m "Importing initial files" . file:///home/felipe/svn-repos/<proyect name>/trunk
    4. To check out a working copy, move to the direcotry where you want your working copy created and type:
      Code:
      svn co file:///home/felipe/svn-repos/<proyect name/trunk <proyect name>
    • A working copy will be created with the name of your proyect and the files you initially imported on step 3
    • You can download a book about svn here http://svnbook.red-bean.com/
    Regards,
    Felipe

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by roderikk View Post
    Hm, I installed bzr, after also reading about it on the blog of Mark, but after reading the manpages confusion reigns... Can you give some pointers and or tutorials?
    You can find tutorials here: http://bazaar-vcs.org/Documentation

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 13.04 Raring Ringtail

what are you writing the thesis with? unless it is plain text, or latex or something similar then versioning systems wont help much.

a diff between two binary files does not mean very much, but a diff between two text files shows you exactly what changed.

you can use SVN locally. there is a repository folder, that holds a database of all the revisions. and a local folder where you make you changes. have a look at the SVN book for info http://svnbook.red-bean.com/

if you want a much simpler solution (what i use for labreports). just name each days file with a date and revision number eg

lab-report-20061106-1
    lab-report-20061107-1
    lab-report-20061107-2

(use YYYYMMDD for the date so that they are in the correct order when you sort by filename).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast