Page 37 of 41 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: Record your desktop with recordmydesktop ;)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Record your desktop with recordmydesktop ;)

Quote Originally Posted by nanotube View Post
    i suggest you file that bug with the recordmydesktop project. seems like it's a simple oversight-type bug that should be easily fixable.
    Filed at https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...op/+bug/511113

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by wayfarer_boy View Post
    cool, let's see how long it takes for someone to take notice...

To people having sound issues, make sure that the correct channel is enabled for capture in alsamixer*: type "alsamixer" in a terminal, then press [tab] or F4 to go to the capture devices panel, then check that the right channel (for instance "Mix" to record all sounds) has the word "CAPTUR" in red at its bottom. If not, select the channel with arrows and press [space]. Exit with [Esc], retry to record and enjoy.

BTW note that ffmpeg is also able to capture the desktop*:
    Code:
    ffmpeg -f oss -i /dev/audio -f x11grab -s 320x240 -r ntsc -i :0.0 capture.mpg

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

hi there,

I've been able to capture my entire desktop comfortably with rmd.
    But just now I tried it again and the output was really sloppy, only showing a frame every 4 to 5 seconds on average.
    Now, neither while recording nor while playing the output-file (a 1280x1024 theora) was my cpu anywhere near the 10% (thats 10, not 100) hurdle.

So why might that be? Any ideas?

PS: I can record my desktop with ffmpeg without any problems.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by Skippy le Grand Gourou View Post
    To people having sound issues, make sure that the correct channel is enabled for capture in alsamixer*: type "alsamixer" in a terminal, then press [tab] or F4 to go to the capture devices panel, then check that the right channel (for instance "Mix" to record all sounds) has the word "CAPTUR" in red at its bottom. If not, select the channel with arrows and press [space]. Exit with [Esc], retry to record and enjoy.

BTW note that ffmpeg is also able to capture the desktop*:
    Code:
    ffmpeg -f oss -i /dev/audio -f x11grab -s 320x240 -r ntsc -i :0.0 capture.mpg
    hey, that works rather nicely, too - thanks for the tip

Beans

NOT WORKING... driving me insane!!!

recordmydesktop --on-the-fly-encoding -v_quality 63 -v_bitrate 2000000 -fps 20 --full-shots --no-sound -workdir . -o foo.ogv
    I followed the tips in http://thefunkcorner.blogspot.com/20...mydesktop.html
    I tried lots of stuff and nothing worked properly.

And for the moment, I'm not even talking about audio... just some decent video capture.

The problem is that the recorded video seems like it's a fast forward recording. As if 10 seconds become one second.

If I change the -fps to something like 8, I can get a "almost decent" recording with slow movement on the screen.

What I would like to be able:
    to open a video file in smplayer and record the desktop as it plays, both video and sound.

Any help?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by kung fu buntu View Post

And for the moment, I'm not even talking about audio... just some decent video capture.

The problem is that the recorded video seems like it's a fast forward recording. As if 10 seconds become one second.

If I change the -fps to something like 8, I can get a "almost decent" recording with slow movement on the screen.

to open a video file in smplayer and record the desktop as it plays, both video and sound.

Any help?
    You can use FFmpeg:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1392026
    Freedom is neither exclusive nor unlimited.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by kung fu buntu View Post

Any help?
    that sounds like the same problem I described a few posts before. If it is, than it has to do with the new version of libtheora. Apparently it handles things differently and all programs using it have to update the way they're handling it.
    Someone created a bug-report on the sourceforge-page of recordmydesktop http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func...57&atid=861428
    And its widley discussed here within fedora: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=525155

Until the author updates rmd changing the bitrate to 200000 worked for me:
    Code:
    recordmydesktop --v_bitrate 2000000

By the way, I switched to ffmpeg, see link above. It gives me much better results in the quality of the video.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hachel View Post
    Code:
    That didn't work for me. Nor 200,000 nor 2,000,000 (you have said both values in your messsage).

By the way, I switched to ffmpeg, see link above. It gives me much better results in the quality of the video.
    I'm also trying to go that way. Well, I already can, but there are still some pending issues.

In any case, I had already done several screencasts using recordmydesktop and they're all choppy (ie, weird frame rates) and eat up lot of HDD. I would like to convert them.

I tried
    ffmpeg -i input.ogg -vcodec libx264 -vpre hq -crf 22 -threads 0 out.mkv
    but the resulting video still ends up with weird frame rates, and in particular, it confuses mplayer which thinks it's 24 minutes when it's only about 12.
    The fact is that, if RMD and libtheora didn't sucked, the proper recording would have 24 minutes. But isntead it gets "fast play" and only takes about half the time.
    How do I fix this?

Beans

that sounds like the same problem I described a few posts before. If it is, than it has to do with the new version of libtheora. Apparently it handles things differently and all programs using it have to update the way they're handling it.
    Someone created a bug-report on the sourceforge-page of recordmydesktop http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func...57&atid=861428
    And its widley discussed here within fedora: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=525155

Code:

Thanks for that been having a nightmare trying to get the gui one to work, or any of the screencap apps to be honest but this works perfect

Page 37 of 41 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast