Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: KxDocker configure how-to

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: KxDocker configure how-to

At last, someone with exactly the same problem as me!
    I had it working just fine with Dapper, but now I've upgraded to Edgy I also get the horrible black box you describe Same problem with KDE also.
    If anyone has any ideas please let me know.
    Many thanks

Mike

Beans

kxdocker is awesome. I'd like to get thumbnail grabbing working correctly (to get live previews of windows in the taskbar) but it's always a black box, only once did I see the window correctly. Does this have something to do with it being gnome, and not kde? I'd like some help going through the taskmanager code and fix this nagging issue. Thanks a bunch!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

It's probably of no consolation but we did resolve the black box issue (it was a huge black box across the whole of the bottom of the screen whenever kxdocker did anything) and the answer is yes it can run in Gnome but in needs a composite window manager (ie. Beryl). In Dapper I had thumbnail previews working fine, though they weren't live updates, ie. it would take a thumbnail of each window when it was maximised, started, etc but not constantly update it. Apparently the actual Mac Dock shows the film minimised when you shrink the movie player to the tray, which sounds very cool.

Good luck with that, in conclusion I don't think it's a Gnome thing.

Mike

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

I don't think that it's a Compiz thing. The new version of KXDocker has support for a composite window manager (and it does work in Beryl), but the sie says that it should also support fake transparency for regular window managers. I assume that if we can figure out the right combination of settings and plug-ins to use, we can get rid of that black box.

Of course, I don't have any solid proof of this, but right after I run 'kxdocker' in Terminal, it prints this:

KXDocker Will use Composite Extensions!

I'm going to try tweaking it some more and getting rid of that black box.

Beans

That's great man, good luck. Also, if you can, can you try to decrease the icon size in the task manager?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Okay here is one solution, but it's a complete cop-out: go back to Dapper's 0.39 version from the repos. It's even harder to configure, but atleast it doesn't even try to do real transparency, so no horrible black box.
    Fraid I had no luck atall with 1.1.4

Mike

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Great howto. Got it working on Edgy with Beryl. I've got two questions, though.

1. If auto-hide is on, it sinks below the screen (as normal), but when I touch the screen edge, it does not rise again so I have to killall and restart it. Any clues?

2. Is there a plugin, or a way to get the K-Menu on KXDocker? The original post says about removing all the broken plugins like trash etc, and also mentions "KDE Menu", but my docker didn't have one - did I miss a plugin?

Thanks for you help guys

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Hi there, thank you fpr your praise. Now for the hiding part, I click on the apple-penguin icon, kxdocker has on the sys trray, a simple left click is enought to hide it or reveal it if hidden. I do not use autohide, I prefer clicking there to manage this. It is supposed to work with autohide too.

Now as for the second question, yes most propably you missed the plugin. Download it and install it as you did with all the rest plugins.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345