Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help locating cheap machines

Beans

Re: Cheapest cigarettes in the world

If anyone is near west TN I have quite a few old pc's I would like to get rid of.
    PM me and we can get together on them.
    I think the slowest is a 233 and the fastest is a 700.
    "The American Republic will endure, until politicians realize they can bribe
    the people with their own money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Help locating cheap machines

I just keep my ear to the ground and if a friend mentions that they are buying a new PC I ask "What happened to the old one". I have been given (yes given) 4 PCs in the last 6 months. The best has an AMD Athlon XP 1.8Ghz with ECS mobo. The HD was described as US. In fact after a reformat it was fine and is in use as I write. All these systems come from ex Windows use. It would appear that after any serious problems the only solution open to their owners was to buy again, or at least that was the advice provided by our friendly local PC super store!

I do upgrade a little as money allows. More memory, DVD burner rather than ROM etc. But now I have a store of these devices so I don't need to buy anything else even if a newer PC turns up. I just move the hardware over. I've learnt a lot about hardware during the last 12 months! RAM may be a different issue of course. I tend to buy new as getting the right type secondhand proves difficult, and I haven't had the courage to buy it from a magazine/web classified ads source. But all the PCs were/are useable without ram upgrades, the smallest I've been given had 250Mb.

I was given a printer, but I hated it so much I went and bought a Samsung Laser in a sale for £50, new.

I only use Linux and have tried several distros on these machines. The best is Ubuntu.

I get my distros from LXF magazines which are sold in my local market for £1 once they are a couple of months out of date. Linux is such fun.

Beans

Re: Help locating cheap machines

I'm new here but saw this thread while I was searching for a pc to test out ubuntu.

During my search online, I realized there was a close place that sold used pc's. They have a website. Here's the address. http://www.pcsurplusonline.com

That should help you out.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123