Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: Compile Wine for Eve (from source)

Beans

Howto: Compile Wine for Eve (from source)

This guide is now useless (other than as an example of how to apply patches to wine). Wine has come a long way since I wrote this over two years ago.

For the best way of setting up wine - Grab the latest version and then look at this page

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...ation&iId=2249

Click on version you want to run (usually the one at the bottom of the screen) and follow the tips it suggest)

Redundant guide follows

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

This Howto will walk you through each step needed to go from a base install of Edgy (with just the Graphics system configured) to having a copy of wine and Eve installed.

Lets begin!

First we need to install all the things required to compile WINE. (Can someone with a clean system help me here? I've already set up my system as I had to install ATI drivers, so there may be more packages are required.)

Code:
    sudo apt-get install build-essential flex bison xlibs-dev x11proto-gl-dev libgl1-mesa-dev fontconfig libfreetype6-dev fontforge checkinstall
    Grab the wine source code and the current eve setup program (this will be different when a new version is released, go to www.eve-online.com for new versions). I'm dumping everything in my home directory. If you do the same then you should be able to follow these instructions to the letter.

Code:
    cd ~/
    wget http://kent.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/wine/wine-0.9.24.tar.bz2
    wget http://ccp.vo.llnwd.net/o2/EVE_Setup_25245.exe
    Now grab the patches and hacks that will allow us to run eve
    Code:
    wget http://elfe.mine.nu/eve/linux/eve-2006-10-20.diff
    wget http://elfe.mine.nu/eve/linux/MachoNet.bash
    Extract the wine files, put the patch in the right place (so it can find the files) and patch the code.

Code:
    tar -xvf wine-0.9.24.tar.bz2
    mv eve-2006-10-20.diff wine-0.9.24
    cd wine-0.9.24
    patch -p1 <eve-2006-10-20.diff
    Set up the wine compile environment (the CFLAGS is essential!) and build. If you dont add the cflags then when you try to run wine you'll just get "Segmentation fault. Core dumped."

Code:
    ./configure CFLAGS=-fno-stack-protector
    make depend && make
    Now go away and make dinner or something. This took 45 minutes on my AMD Athlon 3200+. Once it finishes we want to install wine as a package. This allows us to 1) Take a copy of this version of wine that definitely works (incase future versions of wine break EVE) 2) Uninstall it via Synaptic 3) Give it to your mates/install it on another pc without compiling

Code:
    sudo checkinstall
    Choose yes to generate package documents (if necessary)
    For the description enter “Wine 0.9.24 (patched for EVE)”. This is what appears on the installer/uninstaller description, so if you want to list the known bugs too feel free.

Wine is now installed . We now need to configure it a bit. With EVE there is no need for winetools or anything that "taints" the wine installation.

Code:
    winecfg
    Set the default windows version to windows 2000. Make sure the audio tab has some sort of audio set. At present my one only has OSS, after fiddling with ubuntu to get my soundcards right (I have onboard and a plug in) this works fine. ALSA should also work.

Next task, install EVE – (Replace 25245 with whatever version you downloaded.)

Code:
    cd ..
    wine EVE_Setup_25245.exe
    After successful installation, run the bash file to create the extra directories. If you dont do this Eve will authenticate your account, then just reset to the username/password boxes. This stumped me for hours til I tried it on windows and saw it was caching bulk data

Code:
    chmod u+x MachoNet.bash
    mv MachoNet.bash ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/CCP/EVE/
    cd ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/CCP/EVE
    ./MachoNet.bash
    And now the moment you've all been waiting for

Code:
    nice -19 wine ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/CCP/EVE/EVE.exe
    nice -19 is needed in order to give WINE enough space to allow sound to be sent out. If you dont add it, the music and speech will be garbled as everything fights for resources.

Known bugs with this version are

1) Graphical corruption of own portait (all other portaits/images appeared fine in my week of testing)
    2) Ubuntu mouse cursor appears over eve cursor
    3) Can crash when switching between wine and other applications (eg open office and this firefox browser . Staying ingame seems to keep things stable.
    4) May still be a memory leak in there, as it got really slow for me after about 4 hours of playing. Quiting and re-entering solved that problem

The only thing left to do on this how to is create a shortcut. Unfortunately I cant figure out how to do this on gnome. I used the right click create menu on the desktop, but the file it created didn't seem to actually execute.

I'd also like a games/EVE directory on my Applications menu, but the ala carte editor seems to have disappeared since Dapper.

So, let me know about missing features for the apt-get line, let me know how to create short cuts, and most of all let me know how you got on

See you in space!
    Last edited by stuart.crouch; March 29th, 2009 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Changed to point out guide is two years old and useless...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Howto: Compile Wine for Eve (from source)

Wonderful! I've been trying to compile Wine on Edgy for a few days, wish I found that './configure CFLAGS=-fno-stack-protector' flag earlier. As for EVE... freakin' great! Finally have it working on Ubuntu. Runs great at decent frame rates, but still there are certain bugs that will keep me from running EVE in PvP/Fleet battles. The capacitor looks buggy and does not display correctly, which make fighting quite scary. But Great for switching skills at work.
    Works great on laptop and ATI x1400 card. Will try at home later on nVidia card.
    EVE is the ONLY thing keeping a windows partition at home... we'll see with Kali.

-- Thanks stuart.crouch!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Ipsissimus View Post
    wish I found that './configure CFLAGS=-fno-stack-protector' flag earlier.
    Same here! I was so confused as to how wine was giving me that segmentation fault!
    Although I don't play eve, I hope that nice -19 might help in some games with garble

Thanks, even though I don't play EVE, you've helped me alot!

Beans
    Distro

Eve runs fine, but when I try to run the process niced from the command time I get an error:

Code:
    [EVE 62] nice -19 wine eve.exe 
    setpriority: Permission denied.
    [EVE 63]
    I'm not going to run EVE as root, is that what its asking for here?

-- Thanks

Update: I have just compiled and installed the new 0.9.25 version of Wine with a more recent patch (http://elfe.mine.nu/eve/linux/eve-2006-11-05.diff). Not only does EVE work well, it works with xGl running! The downside is that EVE is pretty slow while running under xGl because it does not allow direct rendering. But if you want to run xGl for your desktop but get good performance in EVE just run it on the non xGl display by using the following script (remember to set it 'chmod +x' and adjust to where your eve.exe is):

Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    DISPLAY=:0 wine /home/lukasz/.wine/drive_c/EVE/eve.exe
    Last edited by Ipsissimus; November 15th, 2006 at 08:28 PM.

Beans

I get as far as the initial Eve splash screen, and am then greeted with the message "No Audio Drivers Detected".

winecfg only presents me with the OSS option (I usually use alsa). I've tried changing my system settings to use OSS, to no avail; I still get the same result when attempting to run Eve.

I'd like to stick with alsa if possible; why is this option not offered in winecfg? I've previously installed an un-patched version (.deb package) of the same release of wine via the repository (using apt), and more sound options were available (including alsa).

Any ideas anyone?

TIA.
    Dan.

EDIT: Solved: Hardware acceleration needs to be set to "Emulation" under the audio tab. Crackles a bit, but better than nothing...
    Last edited by zaziork; November 17th, 2006 at 02:41 AM.

Beans
    Distro

I never play EVE with sound and have it turned off in the .ini file ('sound=0' or something). When I try to change to the sound tab in winecfg it crashes for me. Eve runs fine without sound though. Although I wouldn't mind getting it to work in case I need it at a later date.

Beans

eve installed fine, great howto! small problem though, when trying to connect to eve, the status bar gets half way through authentication and then quits... any suggestions?

Beans

Did you do the machonet bit. This sounds like what stumped me for hours... Basically, it authenticates, then tries to download all the cache needed for the game. The directories don't exist so it fails and drops you back to the login area. Running the machonet bash (and it finishing successfully, no text is written to the screen) will create those directories and it will authenticate and then the same progress screen will say something about grabbing cache files.

After successful installation, run the bash file to create the extra directories. If you dont do this Eve will authenticate your account, then just reset to the username/password boxes. This stumped me for hours til I tried it on windows and saw it was caching bulk data

Code:
    chmod u+x MachoNet.bash 
    mv MachoNet.bash ~/.wine/c/Program\ Files/CCP/EVE/ 
    cd ~/.wine/c/Program\ Files/CCP/EVE 
    ./MachoNet.bash
    Glad this tutorial has been helping people (and that it didnt need any major ammendments)
    Last edited by stuart.crouch; November 17th, 2006 at 11:27 AM.

Beans

right, when i did that the first time it didn't work, but i didn't catch it cuz i wasn't paying much attention. had to change /.wine/c/Program\ Files/CCP/EVE/ to /.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/CCP/EVE/..... works great now!! thanks again for the howto, sorry i didn't post quicker but i was too busy playing EVE

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

I get to this part

./configure CFLAGS=-fno-stack-protector

and then I get this error:

no suitable lex found. Please install the 'flex' package.

Please help?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast