Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: how to: automatically umount cifs partitions

Beans

Re: how to: automatically umount cifs partitions

Is there any fundamental mistake I did in the ordering?
    You could try lowering the umountcifs script. Try K15 or K12 or even lower. Eventually it should work when you're low enough.

Beans

is k15 or k12 lower than s14?

Beans

Yes. First the K scripts are run, then the S scripts are run.

Beans

It's strange, I put it as K12 and it's till not working. I can start it manually and then it successfully unmounts the cifs.

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 2008-05-21 18:18 K01gdm -> ../init.d/gdm
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 17 2007-01-19 03:20 K01usplash -> ../init.d/usplash
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 22 2008-07-26 14:19 K12umountcifs -> /etc/init.d/umountcifs

Should I probably put it as K00 ?

Beans

Strange... perhaps there is an issue with Upstart running custom init.d scripts? I wrote it on Debian, not Ubuntu. I know that Debian's upcoming new init system needs headers added to init.d scripts.

Can you check if the script is run at all? Modify it so that it echoes out some crazy statement when run. E.g. add this somewhere at the top:

echo "LOOK AT ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Run the script manually to confirm that you see that output. Then shut down or reboot and see if you see the string (you may want to disable the boot splash so you can see the messages).

Alternatively, you could add something like this instead:

touch /home/rwabel/i-am-touched.txt

And see if that file exists after the reboot.

If you see the message (or if the file is created) then at least we know that the script is actually run.

Beans

I can confirm that the script has been executet. I saw the message and the file has been created. However, the bad thing is that I got the CIFS error message before.

I got the CIFS error message and nothing happened, I clicked again on the power off button on my laptop and then I got the message from the script.

I've tried to use the script as K00, but it didn't help. Is there not a way to have that script executed even earlier?

Beans

I report that I have read most of the posts here in this forum concerned about the "CIFS VFS error" and I have NOT been able to get rid of it.

I switched the S31umountnfs and S40umountfs to K14umountnfs and K14umountfs and nothing changed.

Also I have read about a file in /etc/init.d called "umountcifs" but in Uubuntu hardy 8.04.1 is not there.

So meantime until I find a fix, I have disabled the windows mount share in the /etc/fstab file.

I am using smb4k for now to mount my windows shares until someone fix for good this issue.

Beans

umountcifs is a script that I wrote myself. There's a link to it earlier in this thread. Also, you can find it at http://www.jejik.com/articles/2007/0...res_with_cifs/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rocketero2008 View Post
    I report that I have read most of the posts here in this forum concerned about the "CIFS VFS error" and I have NOT been able to get rid of it.

I switched the S31umountnfs and S40umountfs to K14umountnfs and K14umountfs and nothing changed.

Also I have read about a file in /etc/init.d called "umountcifs" but in Uubuntu hardy 8.04.1 is not there.

So meantime until I find a fix, I have disabled the windows mount share in the /etc/fstab file.

I am using smb4k for now to mount my windows shares until someone fix for good this issue.
    Does it work if you manually start the script? For me it does, but it doesn't work with the K12 or something like that. It get's started, but it doesn't work.

Beans

Angry Re: how to: automatically umount cifs partitions

Quote Originally Posted by rwabel View Post
    Does it work if you manually start the script? For me it does, but it doesn't work with the K12 or something like that. It get's started, but it doesn't work.
    I downloaded the 'umountcifs' script and placed in /etc/init.d and created symlinks in /etc/rc0.d and /etc/rc6.d as K19umountcifs but somehow it DID NOT fix the CIFS VFS problem while restarting ubuntu.

I don't know if is because I'm using UBUNTU 8.04.1 HARDY as the script was tested on earlier version of Ubuntu.

I'm still stuck with this error but will keep trying other alternatives

Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast