Thread: Boinc Graphics (dual post)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Post Boinc Graphics (dual post)

I have a interesting "problem"--I want to display my Boinc Seti graphics in the Xwindow & would really like it to be a screensaver.

The Debian Boinc Wiki indicates that graphics in the Xwindow is possible by: xhost +local:

However, this worked one for me in Dapper & will not work in Edgy--I've talked to the developer of Xscreensaver & the maintainer of the Boinc Wiki & both have no ideas how to make this happen. I have contacted xorg-request list about this.

Any ideas anyone?

See: http://wiki.debian.org/BOINC#head-ab...2bc2ff2b39e471

I also posted this in the General area, but due to the speed of posting there--I thought that a second post would be helpful

If anyone in talking about this--Please contact me--I am looking for the (a) way to do it--
    "Let's nobody be dead today----Looks very bad on my report" One of my favourite lines from AVATAR
    Linux User#395230
    Ubuntu User# 13498

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Exclamation Re: Boinc Graphics (dual post)

This is something I'm very interesting in getting to work as well. Anyone?
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron (AMD64)
    Compaq Presario F756NR

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Re: Boinc Graphics (dual post)

Don't know if you worked around the problem with Gutsy and following releases already, but here it is how I did:

Code:
    sudo xhost +si:localuser:boinc
    Cheers.

Beans

I run the climate prediction model on gutsy (Ubuntu 7.10) via BOINC & can “show graphics” if I type the following script into the terminal window:

xhost +local:

At present, I need to type this in every time I login. Can I add the above text to a file so that it executes on startup?

Also interested in finding out if it can be adapted to be a screensaver.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Somewhere I read that there was some concerns in adding the user local directly (this - apparently - is why it is disabled by default). For this reason, I preferred to add the user boinc instead.

As for making automatically load the command, I see two possibilities: either modifying the launcher of boinc-manager (you can put an "&" between the two commands and they will be executed in succession), either adding the command in an appropriate script in the folder /etc/init.d (What script it depends by your needs).

As for the screensaver, I have no clue.

Best luck!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by mac.ryan View Post
    Don't know if you worked around the problem with Gutsy and following releases already, but here it is how I did:

Code:
    Cheers.
    Ok did following based on information obtained in forum

this command in your System-Preferences-Sessions-Startup Programs:
    Code:
    /usr/bin/xhost +local:
    Code:

Now where is the Seti Screensaver I have Boinc working, Seti is running within Boinc Manager, but no where do I see Screensaver within Screen preferences.

So Yes, I'd appreciate more information, I like the Seti Screensaver.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Beans

I'm running BOINC on Ubuntu 8.04/hardy and can't get graphics to work. I've tried both xhost commands above. I did have it working in 6.06/Dapper. Any tips?

I just want to be able to see the graphics manually (e.g. via "Show Graphics" button) once in a while, not run as a screensaver. I want to see what the AstroPulse graphics look like
    --
    noodling around with Ubuntu since Dec 2004; running it on my primary desktop machine since Dec 2005
    currently running 10.04 LTS Lucid; migrating to 14.04 LTS Trusty

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    I'm running BOINC on Ubuntu 8.04/hardy and can't get graphics to work. I've tried both xhost commands above. I did have it working in 6.06/Dapper. Any tips?

I just want to be able to see the graphics manually (e.g. via "Show Graphics" button) once in a while, not run as a screensaver. I want to see what the AstroPulse graphics look like
    I can't get it to show Astropulse either. I can get Boinc to show me SETI@Home and Climate Prediction just fine by using xhost +local:

Hmmm....
    IBM Thinkpad r51, Ubuntu 12.04
    Homebuilt Intel Core2Duo E4500, 4.0GB RAM, EVGA/nVidia GT440, Dual-boot W7/Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit
    Dell Optiplex 755, 4.0GB RAM, Ubuntu Server 14.04 64-bit (local file/print/music server)