Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 LastLast

Thread: Howto: ATI Mobility Beryl/XGL FGLRX in Edgy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Re: Howto: ATI Mobility Beryl/XGL FGLRX in Edgy

Attached here is the output from xorg.conf, as I noticed it was requested in other posts
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by suprPHREAK; March 19th, 2007 at 07:02 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

PLEASE HELP A STEWPID NEWB:

I recently put Ubuntu 6.10 on my laptop (dual boot XP/Ubuntu).
    I thought I'd get all fancy and put beryl on etc...
    Been following the many posts and now I am in a real bind.

I have the ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 3D Graphic/64MB RAM card built-in
    I thought I followed instructions to use the ATI card (before I found this thread)

I updated to XORG 7.2, things went ok at first, but then I started to notice windows only showing their borders, unless I refreshed them by minimizing and maximizing a few times - very annoying. Changing settings in Beryl Manager didn't seem to help much. NOW... I am in bigger trouble, I don't know how to undo anything and when I boot into ubuntu after the little graphics bar showing everything loading (including beryl) I then only see my background, no task bars, nothing, can't access anything only can see the mouse move around.

What can I do to get back into my system and get rid of emerald, beryl, and the xorg7.2 ?

Please give me explicit instructions... I am way over my head and need to keep booting into winxp just to check the forums. I think I can get into a terminal only mode but don't know what commands to enter to get me back running. This is interesting, but frustrating - hope to learn a lot.

Best regards,

Steve (shibby73)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Lightbulb Re: Howto: ATI Mobility Beryl/XGL FGLRX in Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by Paerez View Post
    Also, for the linux-restricted-modules, you have to use a backquote ` not a single quote ' to do the `uname -r` thing to get it to work.
    Tips: To avoid confusion you could use $(uname -r) instead of `uname -r` in your howto

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by Shibby73 View Post
    PLEASE HELP A STEWPID NEWB:

I recently put Ubuntu 6.10 on my laptop (dual boot XP/Ubuntu).
    I thought I'd get all fancy and put beryl on etc...
    Been following the many posts and now I am in a real bind.

I have the ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 3D Graphic/64MB RAM card built-in
    I thought I followed instructions to use the ATI card (before I found this thread)

I updated to XORG 7.2, things went ok at first, but then I started to notice windows only showing their borders, unless I refreshed them by minimizing and maximizing a few times - very annoying. Changing settings in Beryl Manager didn't seem to help much. NOW... I am in bigger trouble, I don't know how to undo anything and when I boot into ubuntu after the little graphics bar showing everything loading (including beryl) I then only see my background, no task bars, nothing, can't access anything only can see the mouse move around.

What can I do to get back into my system and get rid of emerald, beryl, and the xorg7.2 ?

Please give me explicit instructions... I am way over my head and need to keep booting into winxp just to check the forums. I think I can get into a terminal only mode but don't know what commands to enter to get me back running. This is interesting, but frustrating - hope to learn a lot.

Best regards,

Steve (shibby73)
    sudo apt-get remove beryl

perchance
    2.4 GHz Dualcore Intel t7700, 2 GB RAM, nVidia 8400, Windows Vista attempting to dualboot with Gusty Gibbon (Brightness Keys, Suspend/Hibernate, S-Video Out still broken)

Beans

I use kde instead of gnome, and had to tweak some of the instructions a bit. I also have the 9000 mobile card, but I have to say, it's not really working, just not totally crashing.. I can't get any of the features like the cube or the wobbling or anything else work while using xgl, checked that glxgears worked fine and checked that fglrxinfo was as normal. Any hints? Should I install gnome instead (I'm very new to linux generally, so I don't know if that's a stupid question or not..)
    Last edited by Eothred; March 23rd, 2007 at 10:01 PM. Reason: didn't see all replies at first

Beans

Hey people, sorry i'm a n00b.

I can't even get fglrx working, i still get mesa.
    First I followed this tutorial - http://lhansen.blogspot.com/2006/10/...untu-edgy.html

Everything worked except for window resizing (it was incredibly laggy). So I removed beryl and then I found your tutorial....I followed it exactly and I still get mesa. I even did "reinstall" for the $ sudo aptitude install linux-restricted-modules-`uname -r` line.

Any help is appreciated.

Code:
    carlw@carlw-desktop:~$ fglrxinfo
    display: :0.0  screen: 0
    OpenGL vendor string: Mesa project: www.mesa3d.org
    OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect
    OpenGL version string: 1.2 (1.5 Mesa 6.5.1)
    Code:
    carlw@carlw-desktop:~$ lsmod | grep fglrx
    fglrx                 534616  9 
    agpgart                34888  2 fglrx,intel_agp
    $ sudo modprobe fglrx
    $ lsmod | grep radeon
    these 2 give nothing.

I definitely changed the device to fglrx in the xorg.conf file and added the
    Code:
    Section "Extensions"
    	Option	    "Composite" "false"
    EndSection
    I have an old radeon 9600XT on a P4 3.2 running edgy.
    cheers for any help.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by carlwh123 View Post
    Hey people, sorry i'm a n00b.

I can't even get fglrx working, i still get mesa.
    First I followed this tutorial - http://lhansen.blogspot.com/2006/10/...untu-edgy.html
    I had the same problem, and it might be that you have to uninstall the modules before you install the new ones according to this tutorial (that did it for me anyway).

Add this line:
    $ sudo aptitude remove linux-restricted-modules-`uname -r`

Before you do this:

$ sudo aptitude install linux-restricted-modules-`uname -r`
    Now copy the module (the first line creates the directory, so if it is already there and there is an error, it is not a problem):
    Code:
    $ sudo mkdir /lib/modules/`uname -r`/misc
    $ sudo cp /lib/modules/`uname -r`/volatile/fglrx.ko /lib/modules/`uname -r`/misc/fglrx.ko
    Now uninstall the package:
    Code:
    $ sudo aptitude remove linux-restricted-modules-`uname -r`

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I fixed my fglrx/edgy problems painlessly.... I INSTALLED FEISTY beta! lol
    feisty's awesome restricted drivers app loaded fglrx with one simple mouse click (maybe two) and I now have 3d acceleration! glxgears would not run for me in edgy, but I now get 1600fps, and for the first time ever, I can run tuxcart and planet penguin racer, smoothly full screen....

the only problem, was that it did reset my resolution, but I simply added it back to /etc/X11/xorg.conf and am back in fightin' form.... but considering that I waiseted over 40 hours trying to fix edgy....

Happy Happy Joy Joy!
    ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO TUX

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

it says that "my hardware does not require any restricted drivers"

:'(
    2.4 GHz Dualcore Intel t7700, 2 GB RAM, nVidia 8400, Windows Vista attempting to dualboot with Gusty Gibbon (Brightness Keys, Suspend/Hibernate, S-Video Out still broken)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

After giving up on using Beryl on my Dell Latitude D600, this thread has shown me the light. Many thanks. I'm loving beryl.

Cheers

Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 LastLast