Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: ATI Mobility Beryl/XGL FGLRX in Edgy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Howto: ATI Mobility Beryl/XGL FGLRX in Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by adam.tropics View Post
    Ok, so I know this may get a little resistance, but anyway. For me, the white screen, and any other problems, except a couple log out issues, which are not killers for me, have been cured.

My solution was to use svn (Trevinos rep), and his script to compile it myself. (yesterday as it happens) This means I no longer have to start with 'copy' which was horrible for speed and 'fluidity'.

If compiling and such is new you may want to wait, else why not take it as an opportunity to learn. It may just cure what ails ya'!!
    I won't resist you . If anything you are offering a solution. I was just trying to prevent 8 billion messages like this:

"WTF I uz this guide and I get white box?! ur guide sox!"

I am back to gnome for the time being. I was actually thinking of not using beryl just because of battery life. Also I like my CTRL+ALT+LEFT and RIGHT to be very fast.
    Last edited by Paerez; February 25th, 2007 at 11:44 PM. Reason: typos
    Knowledge is half the battle.
    The other half is violence!

Beans

Is it normal for during Xgl startup for the screen to go gray and your pointer to become an "X"?

My full post is here: http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthre...9600+pro+turbo

Beans
    Distro

@Brooklyn: yes.

Beans

OK! I'm getting somewhere. Typing "LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/fglrx/libGL.so.1.2.xlibmesa beryl &" in the terminal, I can get beryl to run and run decently smoothly. But, as soon as I close the terminal window, beryl crashes. Is there anyway to fix this, and get Beryl to startup on system startup using the above command? I am using the latest SVN of Beryl by the way.

EDIT: I forgot, I had to type beryl-manager --noforce-window-manager first and then LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/fglrx/libGL.so.1.2.xlibmesa beryl &.
    Last edited by Brooklyn; February 26th, 2007 at 12:31 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

i followed this new guide, and now all i get is beryl-xgl: Support for non power of two textures missing
    beryl-xgl: Failed to manage screen: 0
    beryl-xgl: No manageable screens found on display :1.0
    2.4 GHz Dualcore Intel t7700, 2 GB RAM, nVidia 8400, Windows Vista attempting to dualboot with Gusty Gibbon (Brightness Keys, Suspend/Hibernate, S-Video Out still broken)

Beans

Try what I did, I had the same problem.

In terminal, without beryl started, type:

beryl-manager --noforce-window-manager

and then:

LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/fglrx/libGL.so.1.2.xlibmesa beryl &

I also made an executable script with those commands, and set it to run on startup. Now Beryl starts on startup and everything works! Hurray!

EDIT: If you want, you can try typing "beryl-xgl L--use-copy" as the second command instead of the LD_PRELOAD one. This also worked for me, but was sluggish.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

yea, im doing that... and i get the error
    2.4 GHz Dualcore Intel t7700, 2 GB RAM, nVidia 8400, Windows Vista attempting to dualboot with Gusty Gibbon (Brightness Keys, Suspend/Hibernate, S-Video Out still broken)

Beans

Well now I managed to screw up everything. I installed ProEngineer as root in a gnome session, and now Beryl doesnt work, and I get mesa stuff when I type fglrxinfo. I would just uninstall pro/e, but I don't know how. It did not come with any uninstall instructions. Does anyone have any idea what pro/e mightve done??

My xorg.conf has not changed...
    Last edited by Brooklyn; February 27th, 2007 at 12:41 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

I am so close to getting Beryl/Xgl to work on Ubuntu with my ATI radeon mobility 9000 video card.

I've been fighting it out for a long time, scathing the forums for advice, tips and fixes. I'm no guru with linux, but I've been dabbling in it here and there.

Here is where I am at now:

I can log into an XGL session from the login screen, and all things work fine. Firefox runs really slowly, and glxgears is noticeably choppier than when logged into a Gnome session.

When I switch to the Beryl Window Manager but right-clicking the Beryl Manager and switching from Metacity to Beryl.

Next I see an entirely white screen. As I proceed to rotating the cube via Ctrl-Alt click & drag. I see that the white screen is actually a side of the cube. My desktop is not seen at all. I can see the Beryl screen on the top and bottom of the cube. All other sides of the cube are black. However, is a dialog box was open (i.e., to say that my battery is recharged, or that I have updates to install, or that I had a crash recently... that sort of thing) then that dialog box's outline will be white on the black sides of the cube.

I'm finding all of this a bit difficult to debug. I'm not sure if its an XGL problem or a Beryl problem. Or worst of all...if its a problem with my system specs (Dell inspiron 600m, 1.7 Ghz Pentium M-processor, 512 MB ram, ATI Radeon Mobililty 9000).

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. None of the forums that I've checked seem to address the problem that I'm encountering, since neither XGL nor Beryl is actually crashing. It's just not working the way I want it to.

Thanks
    - J

Beans
    Distro

newagelancelot: The packages are broken. You are at the best point that the rest of us could get to. This is a very new problem. The previous versions worked using this guide, but it is currently broken. Hopefully new packages will fix it.

Try going back to version 1.4 in the stable repositories.

Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast