I was requested to post a HOWTO for how to setup a Linksys EFSP42 2-port print server. Most of my HOWTO is based off this site http://www.angelfire.com/blues/ddallasnc/linksys.html but I changed it around to work for the 2 –port model. Also this is my first one so please correct me if I am wrong. So i only know one way to do this and you need windows for this which sucks but unless someone can figure out how to tftp into the printserver with a mac address than i can figure that out
Windows and than Linux
Steps 1-4 is only needed if you didn't previously setup your printserver.
1. First you need to sit down at your windows machine. (Sorry but this is the easy way)
2. You need to do is look on the bottom of the printserver and get the server name and write it down. The # should look like SCXXXXXX.
3. Like it says you need to install the windows drivers on another windows machine on the network. During the install it asks you to setup the printservers IP address. Set it so it’s a static IP on your network. Write that down to, you need to do this for the next step.
4. So now to either reboot to Linux or move to the Linux machine, which ever one applies to you.
5. In firefox or what ever web browser you use type “127.0.0.1:631”. That should bring you to the cups web setup page.
6. Click add printer and follow the instructions to name your new printer.
7. When you get to the device setup (Page after name page) select LPD/LPR.
8. Now here is where you need to know what port the printer is plugged into the printserver. If it is port one, you want to put “socket://Server IP:4010” in the line “Device URI” and “socket://Server IP:4020” if port two. Make sure you change Out "Server IP" with your printservers IP adress
9. Continue to select the drivers that are correct for your printer.
10. Now the user and password is now your user name and password
11. Just try to print a test page just to see if it worked. If not just look over everything above to just double check yourself.
I just hope this helps. Like I said that this is my first HOWTO so there might be errors in this. When I figure out how to do it in only linux i will deff be updating this with that.
Edited for Gutsy 2/4/08