Thread: HOWTO: IDL Installation

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

HOWTO: IDL Installation

I recently purchased the IDL Student Edition data analysis software for my graduate physics studies. The software is good for scientific image manipulation and analysis, and is commonly used by astronomers and medical physicists, among others.

The software is officially supported only for RedHat Linux, but I was able to get it to run on Ubuntu Edgy using the following procedure:

1. Install the Corn shell.
    The default terminal shell in Ubuntu is called "Bash" (Bourne Again Shell). The installation script for IDL, however, is written for "Csh" (the Corn Shell). Install this using apt-get.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install csh
    2. Mount the installation media.
    Just to be on the safe side, I unmounted the disk first, because Ubuntu typically automounts cdrom media, and you want to make sure the permissions are right.
    Code:
    sudo umount /media/cdrom0/ 
    sudo mount -o ro -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /media/cdrom0
    (your devices and mount points might differ from mine. Name them accordingly)

3. Once the disk is mounted, start csh from a terminal using sudo.
    Code:
    sudo csh
    4. You will now be running the installation script. On my machine, this command looks like this:
    Code:
    /media/cdrom0/xinstall.sh
    5. The installation window pops up, and you have to answer a bunch of questions. When it asks you if you want it to create the symbolic links, tell it "yes".

6. You have IDL installed! Start it by issuing "idlde" from the command line.
    Last edited by John.Michael.Kane; October 31st, 2006 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Thread moved. Please Post howto's in the proper section.
    Laptop: AMD64 Turion, 80GB HD, 512 MB RAM, bcm4318 wireless. Desktop: 3.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB RAM, Zotac GeForce 9600GT Pro

Beans

Re: HOWTO: IDL Installation

hi!
    i follow your "wiki" but get a nice :

exec: 302: ./xinstall.linux.x86: Permission denied

and when i try to umount and then mount, console tell me about no unit in cdrom0.... but there is the cd :s

what do u think?
    Last edited by ricardo_at; April 22nd, 2007 at 05:08 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Hmmm.... I don't have any solutions right off the bat. I will soon be going through the install procedure again myself, though, so if this problem comes up for me, I'll let you know if I get around it. Tell me, though, are you using x86 Ubuntu or AMD64? And what version of Ubuntu?
    Laptop: AMD64 Turion, 80GB HD, 512 MB RAM, bcm4318 wireless. Desktop: 3.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB RAM, Zotac GeForce 9600GT Pro

Beans
    Distro

Did you remember to follow the umounting/remounting procedure in step 2? It sounds like the cdrom isn't mounted by root.

Beans

thankyou for this...... i was having difficulty with the installation process.

mounting and unmounting the cdrom was what made the difference.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Thanks a lot Bosonator... been fiddling with this for a while. Your post was spot on!

J.

Beans

Thanks Bosonator,

I have just got installed IDL 6.0 on my UBANTU 10.10.
    Spent 5 min. Works just perfect.
    Best Regards

Beans

I am trying to follow the wiki with Kubuntu 12.10 and IDL7.0

I am getting mad because I cannot mount the dvd drive usin the command line. Anyways, when the dvd is mounted and I try to execute csh or tcsh, I receive the following:

guillem@guillem-arbeit:~$ sudo mount -o ro -t iso9660 /dev/sr0 /media/IDL70
    mount: /dev/sr0 already mounted or /media/IDL70 busy
    mount: according to mtab, /dev/sr0 is already mounted on /media/IDL70
    guillem@guillem-arbeit:~$ sudo csh
    guillem-arbeit:~# /media/IDL70/xinstall.sh
    /media/IDL70/xinstall.sh: Command not found.
    guillem-arbeit:~#

I do not know what more to do...

Beans

After installing tcsh and the 32 bit libraries (ia32) everything works fine on Kubuntu 12.10 64bit.