Thread: Retiring Hoary: Ubuntu 5.04 reaches end-of-life for security support

Retiring Hoary: Ubuntu 5.04 reaches end-of-life for security support

Last week Canonical announced the official date for Hoary Hedgehog’s retirement: October 31st 2006. Ubuntu 5.04, as Hoary is officially known, was released more than 18 months ago on April 8th 2005 and was the highly successful upgrade to the first ever Ubuntu release Warty Warthog (4.10).
    On October 31st, after 18 months of hard work, Hoary will reach its End-Of-Life (EOL) which means it will not receive any new security updates from Ubuntu. Users still using this version are highly encouraged to upgrade to a newer version of Ubuntu to continue enjoying a secure computing environment.
    The only supported upgrade path from Hoary to newer Ubuntu releases is first to Breezy (Ubuntu 5.10), then to Dapper (Ubuntu 6.06 LTS).

More...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Re: Retiring Hoary: Ubuntu 5.04 reaches end-of-life for security support

I dont get it...Linux is supposed to be uber secure, so whats the need for regular security updates and patches and such?

Iv NEVER experienced a virus in linux (used linux for 18 months) and i dont think anyone has tried to hack my computer.

I thought the updates and support mean they would keep packages in the repos up to date e.g. keep upgrading the versions?

-Rashid