Thread: The Paranoid's Guide to Ubuntu - Any Ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

The Paranoid's Guide to Ubuntu - Any Ideas?

I'm thinking of making a thread entitiled 'The Paranoid's Guide to Ubuntu'. I really still have trouble using UberUbuntu on the net 'naked', even though I KNOW it's safe! Those little paranoid habits are deeply ingrained after being born and bred on Windows!

I've noticed that there are lots and lots of threads by users who have either recently dumped or are planning to dump Windows, asking about security, firewalls, antivirus - all those naggy little voices in the back of any conscientious Windows user's mind! I myself am guilty of making a few, I think.

Anyhow, I was just fiddling with ClamAV (I've never bothered with it, going for using Avast for linux because that's what I'm used to.) and getting a bit confused and then uninstalling it after searching the forums for my answer, and I thought... Why isn't there a thread stickied in the Absolute Beginner's Forum for this? For all of us paranoid users... Aaand, I decided that I'd see what the community thought before trying to prepare some info myself.

Spoon-feeding:
    * What anti-virus program would you recommend for us paranoid users? Is it easy to use for ex-windows users? If not, is it easy to learn?
    * How would you succinctly put forward the points about iptables being a firewall, Firestarter just being a GUI, and such?
    * Are there any spyware hunters for UberUbuntu? Which would you recommend? Is it easy to use for ex-windows users? If not, is it easy to learn?
    * What rootkit hunters would you recommend? If you like rkhunter, can you give a brief explanation of what the hell postfix is and what to choose when setting it up? (It confuses me!)
    * How would you recommend we secure our system if we want to install LAMP to do offline PHP-design and testing?
    * Do you think I'm mad?
    * Isn't linux awesome! Don't you think Ubuntu should be renamed UberUbuntu?

Please note, this is not a debate on whether or not UberUbuntu is safe by default, and I don't want to see it end up that way.
    When you only have two choices, take the third.
    Quote Originally Posted by em es
    You know, I actually feel claustrophobic when I boot into XP.
    Easy ways to install multimedia codecs (wma, dvd playback etc), internet formats (flash, java etc) and more.

Beans

Re: The Paranoid's Guide to Ubuntu - Any Ideas?

You need nothing, you must force yourself to know this

However, at work I have to scan data for viruses before reloading it onto the freshly formatted Windows computer, so I keep Avast loaded on my work computer for that reason. I never scan any of _my_ files, just the data that has to be restored onto computers that got the flu

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I think you should read this for starters:
    http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/security

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Do you think I'm mad?
    No
    Isn't linux awesome! Don't you think Ubuntu should be renamed UberUbuntu?
    Awesome? No. Cool? Yes Rename? Nah

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

* What anti-virus program would you recommend for us paranoid users? Is it easy to use for ex-windows users? If not, is it easy to learn?
    i scan my files with f-prot

* How would you succinctly put forward the points about iptables being a firewall, Firestarter just being a GUI, and such?
    firestarter is the "configure" interface of your firewall (iptables). does this answer your question?

* What rootkit hunters would you recommend? If you like rkhunter, can you give a brief explanation of what the hell postfix is and what to choose
    i use both rkhunter and chkrootkit because they use different methods

* Do you think I'm mad?
    why not?

i'm quite paranoid myself. but the security risks using ubuntu are minimal. in my opinion making regular backups is the best security measure.