• what?

8 10.13%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Folder or Directory?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Folder or Directory?

Pet peeve: I hate saying "folder" for "directory." I never thought of "directories" as "folders" until I'd seen my first GUI, and even then I only thought of the folder icon as meaning "directory."

Do you use one word or the other? Did you change from using one to another? When and why?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Folder or Directory?

I don't care if you're MS or *IX, Folder has 1 less syllable, and in computer lingo, the easier a thought can be conveyed, the better.
    Just an opinion. What's yours?

Beans
    Distro

I dont'k now. Maybe I'm just being stubborn. I learned "file" and "directory" when I was about 8, and have stuck with it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

well, i guess i'm just a modernist in the sense that while generally i stay neutral in the wars such as vi vs. emacs, i tend to lean toward simplicity. While "folder" has the connotations of actually containing files which is illusory, because it's not a partition or a volume. "Directory" is more accurate in every sense, because it tells the cpu where to look on a volume for a file. Nonetheless, I usually say "folder," because it is easier.

So I think the choice lies somewhere between aesthetics and logic for me. I uphold both equally.

Beans

Where is folder used, and where is directory used?
    I never really payed attention.

It's funny, it seems qt file dialog has "One directory up", and "Create New Folder"
    What is used in nautilus, konqueror, windows and mac os (I've none of these at immediate disposition)?
    Is directory an older term? if so, when and where did folder appear?

I guess cd means "change directory" and I assume it's there for a while on *nix, and it is in dos too.

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

mainly say directory or dir for start while on irc, very rare for me to say folder but when giving advice I sometimes say folder but that is very rare.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
    I think that ms's future will be a drunken and down-on-his-luck Steve Balmer on a beach somewhere in South America or the far east, trying to convince bored american tourists that he used to be important.

Beans
    Hidden!

I call it folder. Like agent Molder. LOL!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

when in the context of a CLI, i use directory, because it seems more fitting in that context. i tend to use folder in the context of a file-browser (Nautilus, Konquerer, etc...) because file-browsers are graphical, organizational representations of filesystems and it seems more fitting to use folder because you "see" the manifestation of a directory in a graphical form.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by shining View Post
    Where is folder used, and where is directory used?
    I never really payed attention.

It's funny, it seems qt file dialog has "One directory up", and "Create New Folder"
    What is used in nautilus, konqueror, windows and mac os (I've none of these at immediate disposition)?
    Is directory an older term? if so, when and where did folder appear?

I guess cd means "change directory" and I assume it's there for a while on *nix, and it is in dos too.
    directory is the older term; "folder" only came in with graphical user interfaces--GEM, AmigaOS, Macintosh, and so forth.

I guess I've never left my MS-DOS biases behind, and Linux and bash just reinforce them. cd, pwd, mkdir... and so forth.

Beans

If a directory refers an organized listing, I guess I have folders.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast