View Poll Results: Which aging console should I buy?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Playstation 2

36 55.38%
  • Xbox

29 44.62%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which aging console is most worth the money?

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Which aging console is most worth the money?

I bought a Gamecube for my last generation console, and I've been regretting it ever since. Now that the next generation is upon us, I think I may wait for the old consoles to drop in price and pick one up. I'm just not sure which is better for me.

On the technical side, I have a widescreen HDTV to take full advantage of games that offer progressive scan, but I'd obviously prefer most of them to be in 16:9 format.

On the preference side, I think God of War is the best video game ever made, but I don't want to buy a PS2 just for one game. There are alot of other titles in that genre, like Ninja Gaiden, Tenchu, Otogi, Enclave, Onimusha, Devil May Cry, God Hand, Shinobi, and Panzer Dragoon Orta, that I'd also love to play. Which is why I'm torn between the consoles. I'm drawn in by the Xbox's broader 480p and 16:9 support, and so it would be the obvious choice for cross-platform games. But there are some PS2 exclusive titles that I've been wanting to play for years.

I'm stuck. No clue which is the better buy. What's your opinion?

Beans

Re: Which aging console is most worth the money?

I have always liked the ps2. There's so many great titles for it. Xbox is good to. Maybe you should buy them all lol

Beans

I was going to say snes untill I saw the choices. ps2 then, Ive always been a sony fan. That is until I heard about the wii. Nintendo rock.
    Imagination is more important than knowledge

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

xbox. The modifications available are astounding and the titles are terrific. PS2 is nice but it's a bit more difficult to mod and I think the xbox just has a larger mod community. Though if you're into stock machines, I can't comment.
    Linux Knowledge >> << My Head

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Quote Originally Posted by chadk View Post
    xbox. The modifications available are astounding and the titles are terrific. PS2 is nice but it's a bit more difficult to mod and I think the xbox just has a larger mod community. Though if you're into stock machines, I can't comment.
    Hmm, I hadn't considered mods. Could you point me toward some resources on that? Not sure if it's something that affects me or not.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

xbox or ps2? Try www.xbox-scene.org for xbox.
    Linux Knowledge >> << My Head

Beans

One vote for xbox+modchip+XBMC its total treats, an excellent community project.

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Wow, I didn't know about the media center. Very cool, but I'm not sure what I'd use it for. The idea of tinkering with the console and having a little Xbox FTP server and all that stuff is interesting too. But otherwise, are the mod chips just for "backing up" games? That's always the impression I get when I read about mods, and this doesn't seem to be much different. And I do enough tinkering with my laptop already that I probably shouldn't be spending time modding a console too, unless there's something really compelling that I can do with it.

I guess what I'm saying is, as cool as it would be to have Linux running on my Xbox, or to have a little media center for showing pictures or something, I get the impression that the mods aren't going to give me any worthwhile return on my money (modchip + bigger HD) and effort unless I plan to copy games. Is that accurate?

Oh, either way though, thanks for pointing it out. It's worth thinking about for down the line when I get bored with the Xbox games and want to mess around with it.

Beans

I would say thats fairly accurate. Ill list some good games so you can look out for them.

my personal favourite

Soul Calibre 2

Others

Ninja Gaiden
    Halo series
    Forza Motorsport
    Fable
    Farcry series
    Jade empire
    Burnout series
    Jaws (i love it)
    GTA

Beans
    Distro
    Edgy Eft Testing

The best thing I think about Modding the Xbox is that you can fit all sorts of emulators on it. Everything from Amiga to Atari ST, and Mame and Nes or N64 games.

Of course, then you have to track down the roms. Also you can load games off the hard drive, which is much faster than the DVD drive if you're the impatient sort.

Personally though, I think a lot of the games on the PS2 are just plain more enjoyable, which is why I think going the emulator route on the xbox is what I would do if I happened to own one.

Leech
    Wah! Wah! Life was more entertaining when I had 64KB of RAM in my computer.
    Neverwinter Nights Platinum HowTo

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast