Page 119 of 137 FirstFirst ... 1969109117118119120121129 ... LastLast
Results 1,181 to 1,190 of 1362

Thread: Mount samba shares with utf8 encoding using cifs

Beans

Re: Mount samba shares with utf8 encoding using cifs

Quote Originally Posted by dlabelle11 View Post
    ok enother problem solved, thanks, was a simple win 7 folder property keeping me out... so I just went to properties and then the security tab and then I just had to hit edit and add everyone...

So now I have windows 7 and ubuntu sharing like the best of friends. Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Thank you very much for this informative article. I did not know I needed the iocharset option for mount until I found out that Japanese characters in file names weren't surviving the trip to my mounted Samba share. Thanks to this article, and the mount manpage, I have solved my problem.

Beans

Hello, all. I have been able to get "mount -t cifs ..." working now on 32 bit Karmic Ubuntu desktop machines. Yea! But still no joy mounting NAS with Ubuntu Karmic Server 64 bit no matter how I configure the mount command. It times out - "Error connecting to socket." (-512) Thanks for any tips.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by panthermartin View Post
    Hello, all. I have been able to get "mount -t cifs ..." working now on 32 bit Karmic Ubuntu desktop machines. Yea! But still no joy mounting NAS with Ubuntu Karmic Server 64 bit no matter how I configure the mount command. It times out - "Error connecting to socket." (-512) Thanks for any tips.
    What make and model of NAS are you using?

Beans

Thanks, dmizer. It's the NetGear Stora. I have the Ubuntu Karmic workstations mounting it perfectly thanks to the tips in this thread. However, my two Ubuntu servers (Karmic, 64 bit) still are having trouble - the only obvious difference (other than 64 bit servers vs. 32 bit desktops) is the servers have fixed IP's whereas all the workstations use DHCP. All the machines and the NAS are behind the same router.

Beans
    Distro

the servers have fixed IP's whereas all the workstations use DHCP
    How did you configure "fixed IPs"? This may very well be the root of your problem.

Beans

I was just starting to think the same thing...sorry to sidetrack this thread...it almost certainly is related to my router and network settings for those fixed IP servers. However, this thread has been invaluable for getting the cifs mounts working on my other machines. Thanks!
    Last edited by panthermartin; March 2nd, 2010 at 09:06 AM.

Beans
    Distro

I was just starting to think the same thing...sorry to sidetrack this thread...
    Ubuntu karmic server (64 bit)
    /etc/network/interfaces:
    iface eth0 inet static
    address 75.151.87.xxx
    netmask 255.255.255.248
    gateway 75.151.87.xxx

Maybe not a mount issue at all. Does that netmask prevent the server from being able to mount shared drives on my NAS (10.1.10.5)? The router DHCP range is 10.1.10.xxx/255.255.255.0
    It can see it and ping with no problem.

We should move this to a new thread. Sorry, again.
    Is your router not capable of assigning a permanent IP lease according to the NICs MAC address? What make and model of router are you using?

Don't worry about derailing the thread, your problem is at least related to this thread.

Beans

This is a pretty typical set-up, so it might be useful to others getting started like I am and learnimg as they go.
    To answer your question, yes, the router does allow several configuration options for those fixed IP addresses.
    I have a SMC D3G type router from Comcast (business internet account) with a pool of 5 static IP addresses to work with. The router is configured use DHCP (10.1.10.10/255.255.255.0) for most workstations/NAS devices inside the LAN. However, I also have two ubuntu servers configured with static IP addresses (75.151.87.xxx/255.255.255.248) that the router recognizes and for which it allows internet traffic through (on certain ports only).
    Anyway, I figured this smart router would allow me to have the fixed IP servers mount the shared NAS drive (on 10.1.10.5) just like the workstations (10.1.10.xxx) do, even though they are not in the 10.1.10.xxx subnet. In retrospect, that was a naive assumption - but it made me learn more about subnetting, which is a good thing!
    If anyone has a link or ideas on how people typically connect the fixed IP servers to the DHCP assigned resources in a LAN, I would be grateful! Thanks.

Beans
    Distro

What I've always done is assign permanent DHCP leases to servers so that the router always assigns the same IP to servers. The problem is, that the vocabulary used varies from manufacture to manufacture, and even varies from model to model.

You could try something like this: http://www.watchingthenet.com/linksy...s-network.html

Page 119 of 137 FirstFirst ... 1969109117118119120121129 ... LastLast