Thread: Mount samba shares with utf8 encoding using cifs

Threaded View

Beans

Re: Mount samba shares with utf8 encoding using cifs

Hi all,

I am new to Linux, but think that this will be a love story...

I am running Ubuntu Server Linux 64Bit (11.04) in VirtualBox (4.1.0) and would like to connect to a share on the Windows 7 64Bit host. I already did this with the following command, sadly I am not able to mount this drive automatically by adding it to fstab. Find my fstab entry and the error message below, too.

When I enter this, I am asked for the Windows password. After entering the password the mount works completely fine:
    Code:
    sudo mount -t cifs //MW7XM76LYPUH0D/Users/nachname.vorname /media/splunk -o username="dir/nachname.vorname",uid=0,gid=0,nls=utf8

This somehow is giving me the following errors. If i try to test the changes in fstab with "sudo mount -a" I am asked for the password, too but it won't work like with the one above:
    Code:
    //MW7XM76LYPUH0D/Users/nachname.vorname /media/splunk cifs username="dir/nachname.vorname",uid=0,gid=0,nls=utf8 0 0
    Code:
    [ 897.066624] CIFS VFS: Send error in SessSetup = -13
    [ 897.071901] CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -13
    Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)
    This doesn't work, too:

Code:
    //MW7XM76LYPUH0D/Users/nachname.vorname /media/splunk cifs username="dir/nachname.vorname",rw,nounix,uid=0,gid=0,nls=utf8 0 0
    Kind regards
    Katsche

P.S.: Another question: the password of the windows user contains special characters. How do I write such a password (just to give u an example: tGu39fl?! ) so that I can save it within the smbcredentials file or just add it to the mount options using "password="?
    Last edited by Katsche; August 23rd, 2011 at 12:23 PM.