Page 70 of 137 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280120 ... LastLast

Thread: Mount samba shares with utf8 encoding using cifs

Beans

Re: Mount samba shares with utf8 encoding using cifs

This is super, thanks for the help!

One thing you may want to include in the tutorial is the 'nobrl' option for users of OpenOffice that open files on CIFS shares. I have a NAS where I store my documents and kept getting errors when I would save my docs to the drive. I discovered that the errors were due to the fact that OpenOffice doesn't use CIFS-style mandatory byte range locks (http://www.swerdna.net.au/linhowtosambacifs.html), so adding the 'nobrl' option in my FSTAB stopped the errors.

My apologies if this was already posted in one of the 70 pages on this thread.
    Last edited by jwrede; October 22nd, 2008 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Got the page count wrong.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by jwrede View Post
    This is super, thanks for the help!

One thing you may want to include in the tutorial is the 'nobrl' option for users of OpenOffice that open files on CIFS shares. I have a NAS where I store my documents and kept getting errors when I would save my docs to the drive. I discovered that the errors were due to the fact that OpenOffice doesn't use CIFS-style mandatory byte range locks (http://www.swerdna.net.au/linhowtosambacifs.html), so adding the 'nobrl' option in my FSTAB stopped the errors.

My apologies if this was already posted in one of the 70 pages on this thread.
    Thanks for that. I've updated the howto with this information.

Edit:
    One request. Can you please provide the exact text of the error you get when not using this option?
    Last edited by dmizer; October 23rd, 2008 at 01:15 AM.

Beans

Hi dmizer,

Thanks for all your support here!

My first post:

Just installed xubuntu in VMWare in preparation to setting up a fileserver in our office. We have a mix of XP and Vista shares (yuck, I know!) and I'd like to be able to mount those and do some tests on filename compatibility, etc prior to building the real server.

Using your guide, I was able to mount one shared volume which is all in roman characters like so:

Code:
    sudo mount -t cifs //YUKI/SharedDocs /mnt/sambashare -o username=something,password=something,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777
    The charset flags did enable me to view the filenames in Japanese no worries.

BUT, I'm unable to mount a SMB share which is using Japanese characters in the share name itself. ie:

Code:
    sudo mount -t cifs //YUKI/柿本 - 製作 /mnt/sambashare -o username=something,password=something,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777
    Until I set up a new fileserver, there's no chance of having them rename their shares. Do you know, is this error coming from the console or the mount command or the SMB/CIF implementation?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Leon

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by leonthelion View Post
    BUT, I'm unable to mount a SMB share which is using Japanese characters in the share name itself. ie:

Code:
    sudo mount -t cifs //YUKI/柿本 - 製作 /mnt/sambashare -o username=something,password=something,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777
    Until I set up a new fileserver, there's no chance of having them rename their shares. Do you know, is this error coming from the console or the mount command or the SMB/CIF implementation?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Leon
    I recall having the same problem, but I'm not sure how I resolved it. I think this may work:
    Code:
    sudo mount -t cifs //YUKI/"柿本 - 製作" /mnt/sambashare -o username=something,password=something,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777
    I don't have access to a Linux machine at the moment, but as soon as I get home I'll look into this.

The specs for CIFS and SAMBA indicate that anything other than ASCII characters are illegal for share names. That doesn't mean they can't be used, but there is always a chance for problems when doing so.
    Last edited by dmizer; October 24th, 2008 at 05:03 AM.

Beans

Worked like a charm, thanks!

I can see all the files inside the SMB share with their correct Japanese filenames.

Can copy to the xubuntu desktop no worries, but no progress indicators on file copy progress. Maybe I'm using a crappy file manager (first morning using Ubuntu and many years since playing with Linux desktop )

Cheers dmizer!

Beans
    Distro

That's fantastic! Glad we got you working.

No idea what to tell you about the progress indicators though, sorry. Xubuntu uses Thunar as it's file manager. It's really quite powerful considering how light it is. Do you have problems with the progress indicators when copying files locally? If not, it could be that you're having problems related to VMware. VMware networking can be tricky sometimes.
    Last edited by dmizer; October 24th, 2008 at 05:25 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

hi, just one little question: in 8.04.1 my TimeCapsule (cifs share) was automounted after the network was up (knetworkmanager), now with intrepid that's not the case, i have to manually mount the device, do you know how to solve this issue, too?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Dareus View Post
    hi, just one little question: in 8.04.1 my TimeCapsule (cifs share) was automounted after the network was up (knetworkmanager), now with intrepid that's not the case, i have to manually mount the device, do you know how to solve this issue, too?
    Sorry, I have not even looked at Intrepid yet. I would suggest asking in the Intrepid development area here: http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=346

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

thanks for your very useful guide, anyway

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Dareus View Post
    thanks for your very useful guide, anyway
    It's no problem.

Did you use this guide to mount your shares? You mentioned knetwork manager so I assumed you did not.

Page 70 of 137 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280120 ... LastLast