Page 116 of 137 FirstFirst ... 1666106114115116117118126 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,160 of 1362

Thread: Mount samba shares with utf8 encoding using cifs

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Mount samba shares with utf8 encoding using cifs

Quote Originally Posted by Sader View Post
    However - all Russian letters are now as �����.......any ideas ?

P.S. thanks a lot for your help
    Try changing cp1251 to utf8.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Hi dmizer,
    Thanks for the very useful thread!

Just an FYI; I'm running Karmic have a apple time capsule and found that I had to use both the Karmic AND the Hardy trouble shooting options in order to fix the problem (per this tread: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/406466 )

Once again thanks for such a nice tread.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks a lot for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post
    The major difference between the guide you followed is that my guide covers more material, and comes with my personal support
    And, I do enjoy the personal support!
    Does not hide his beans.
    Is a proud supporter of nuclear energy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I've noticed since I upgraded to 9.10, that browsing my NAS drive has become very slow. Particularly, when browsing folders that contain images. Is there anything I can do to speed this up?

I currently run 9.10 and my NAS drive is a D-Link DNS-323.

Also, below is the fstab entry.

Code:
    //192.168.0.101/Volume_1 /home/aaron/DNS-323 cifs guest,rw,iocharset=utf8,nounix,gid=1000,uid=1000,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777 0 0
    Does not hide his beans.
    Is a proud supporter of nuclear energy.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post
    Try changing cp1251 to utf8.
    Man you're amazing! Already done that by myself though....

Thanks a bunch for your help,
    Regards
    Sader

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by DownTown22 View Post
    I've noticed since I upgraded to 9.10, that browsing my NAS drive has become very slow. Particularly, when browsing folders that contain images. Is there anything I can do to speed this up?

I currently run 9.10 and my NAS drive is a D-Link DNS-323.

Also, below is the fstab entry.

Code:
    //192.168.0.101/Volume_1 /home/aaron/DNS-323 cifs guest,rw,iocharset=utf8,nounix,gid=1000,uid=1000,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777 0 0
    This is a Nautilus feature. Remember, Nautilus loads thumbnails of all the images (as well as other files) so if you have huge folders full of images it will take a while to load them all. However, after the first time accessing the folder and after allowing all the thumbnails to load, you won't have the speed problem anymore.

If you're still having problems, there's a discussion earlier in this thread regarding this problem but the resolution was to change from Nautilus to Xubuntu's Thunar.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ottar t View Post
    you probably get the cifs vfs: server not responding... error during shutdown, but thats already covered in the tread. Except for the jaunty fix for putting /etc/init.d/umountnfs.sh above exit 0 in the /etc/gdm/PostSession/Default file. Doesn't work trough wireless in 9.10

I run the same command as root> sudo /etc/init.d/umountnfs.sh before shutdown and the pc shuts down without any probl..
    Which is the problem I'm trying to solve, shutdown works fine with CIFS mounted windows shares when I'm using the ethernet network but get the 'server not responding' error when on WiFi.

I've tried adding umounts in all the places suggested in this guide plus a few others (rc6.d, if-down.d).

Any ideas on how I can try and sort this out?

Beans

The bug report sums up my experience with the error:

The moving/copying of the rc0/6 scripts doesn't seem to work in Karmic RC (using wireless). I just get a hang on shutdown with the message "init: usplash post-start process (2446) terminated with status 1" and never seems to shut down. If I put the scripts back the way they're supposed to be, then I simply get the usual CIFS VFS errors.
    and

Confirmed here too. I've tried all the solutions listed previously to resolve this issue in Karmic and Wireless, but I always experience a hang on shutdown. The only "workaround" (not really) I've found so far is to add the "users" option to my /etc/fstab entry for my cifs share, then manually unmount the volume before shutting down / restarting the laptop.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Velophile View Post
    Which is the problem I'm trying to solve, shutdown works fine with CIFS mounted windows shares when I'm using the ethernet network but get the 'server not responding' error when on WiFi.

I've tried adding umounts in all the places suggested in this guide plus a few others (rc6.d, if-down.d).

Any ideas on how I can try and sort this out?
    Are you using WPA encryption on your wireless, and are you using NetworkManager to manage your wireless connection?

Beans

Hi dmizer, thanks for the reply/help.

In short; yes and yes.

I tried switching to wicd to see if that helped and it didn't. I could try a test with different/no security (temporarily) when I get home.

Page 116 of 137 FirstFirst ... 1666106114115116117118126 ... LastLast